Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clean Air Vehicle stickers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Until I bought my Ranger EV I had never owned a truck or a white vehicle before. It is silly, but one of the factors in deciding to get it was that the carpool stickers would look OK on it.

66d1216778854-clean-air-vehicle-stickers-carpoolin.jpg

Attachments

• carpoolin.jpg
    carpoolin.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 135
Yes, it would be nice to be Steve, and get away with a barcode for the license plate.

I used to live down the street from him. I always wondered how come his cars never had plates. I figured he must just trade them in frequently for a brand new version of the same car so that he always had a vehicle that was in the "waiting for plates" period.

By the way, I passed a blue Tesla on 101 Monday morning... I was cruising in the carpool lane, and he was stuck in traffic. So those carpool stickers actually gave me a way to outrun a (stickerless) Tesla even in my slow truck. :tongue:

I for one do not put any stickers on any painted portion or chrome portion of my car !!! Window is OK if need be but I paid big bucks for a car and I am not going to deface it in any way that might even be permanent. I don't care what the sticker is ....

Um. Yeah. That sounds great in theory. In practice, I'll take the 60 minutes a day that I save using the HOV sticker.

No problem. I'll wave to you as I go by in the carpool lane and you can feel superior while waiting in the stopped traffic. :)

-Jon

Mittelhauser,

Here in VA we do it the smart way. We have license plates that allow usage of HOV lanes. Not dumb stickers. They are CF plates - for Clean Fuel. But I have a reverse commute anyway so I don't need or use them.

The argument (made by the CHP/etc) for the stickers is that you can tell from the side as the car goes by at 60mph. No way to do this with a license plate which means that an officer can't sit by the side of the lane and monitor for cheaters...

LOL. Don't get me wrong. I hate the stickers also. I just will swallow the hate for the saved time. :)

-Jon

Officers seem to have no problem monitoring my license plate as I go past at more than 60mph in the UK...

Seriously, we have a "low emissions zone" here in London that is monitored entirely automatically by matching plates against a database of compliant vehicles.

London low emission zone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

https://lez-tfl.custhelp.com/cgi-bi...y5zZWFyY2hfZm5sJnBfcGFnZT0x&p_li=&p_topview=1

How does the Low Emission Zone (LEZ) operate?

Heavy diesel-engined vehicles being driven within the Low Emission Zone have to meet specific emissions standards. Those that meet the standards can continue to be driven in the Zone without paying the daily charge. Those that do not are required to pay each day they drive within the Zone. Cameras positioned throughout the zone record each vehicle’s number plate and then match the image with information held on Transport for London's database of registered vehicles that meet the emissions standards, have paid the daily charge, or are either exempt or registered for a 100% discount. Any vehicle that does not meet the emissions standards and has not paid the daily charge may incur a Penalty Charge. Different types of vehicles will be affected over time and increasingly tougher emissions standards will apply. Find out more about the vehicles affected and the timetable for implementation.

Last edited:
That's interesting. in California, arguably the most car-centric state in the US, they created a law whee you have to deface your vehicle on three sides. Like it's a punishment for have a green car but your gas sucking Humboratti goes sticker-free.

So if Virginia has a special license plate for HOV diamond lanes, who else does it with a plate?
Since every State makes their own rules, how can I find the DMV regs for every state in one place?

I want to put together a compelling argument to send to Arnold.

Also, something to put in your compelling arguement to the Governator is they now make License plate readers that can be posted anywhere - including in a police cruiser that read thousands of plates per hour in all 4 directions and automatically check them against DMV records. They are not only useful for HOV violations but also check for stolen cars and all kinds of other stuff as well. Cops can monitor an entire parking lot in a matter of the time it takes to drive through it - like 1-2 minutes.

Also, something to put in your compelling arguement to the Governator is they now make License plate readers that can be posted anywhere - including in a police cruiser that read thousands of plates per hour in all 4 directions and automatically check them against DMV records. They are not only useful for HOV violations but also check for stolen cars and all kinds of other stuff as well. Cops can monitor an entire parking lot in a matter of the time it takes to drive through it - like 1-2 minutes.

Hey Kevin,

Are they special plates or year registration stickers that are being read? Is this an optical, magnetic, RF system? The Governator wants to know.

No. The reader is said to read ALL license plates from every state and all countries - or at least 100s of countries. It actually reads the characters on the plate by OCR and runs then against DMV records. I will google and see if I can find a link for you. It can read from all angles. cops just drive through the parking lot or post it my an HOV lane and it reads them all as they fly by !!!