Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clean energy incentive for EVs in Japan is back!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

benji4

Roadster 2.5 #0476
Nov 7, 2010
Tokyo, Japan
I stopped by the Tesla showroom yesterday to pick my car up (reflector apparently put on the car using chewing gum had fallen off), and was told the cash-back program for EV's in Japan has been extended, but this time the maximum amount has been dropped from $35,000 to $12,000 for the current round. $12,000 is an interesting number because that's about what you can get back for buying an iMiev or LEAF. Surprise, the Roadster is the only car really affected by the change!

True, $8,500 is nothing to sneeze at. However, the base Roadster in Japan costs $145,000 + 5% sales tax. The $35,000 discount got me right down to the U.S. price range which is one of the main factors that convinced me to buy one. Otherwise I'd probably be a LEAF driver now!

Interesting, I wonder if this will cause demand for the Leaf in Japan to remain strong and therefore continue to limit supply to the US.

No, I don't think it will have much effect on US deliveries. Now Nissan will go back to their regular program of sending 50% of the production to US and the rest to Japan, EU. The problem earlier was that they had to rush deliveries to Japan since the rebates were ending.