Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clean Fuel Rebates from PG&E, SCE, SDG&E

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

miimura

Aug 21, 2013
Los Altos, CA
If you are in California and have electric service from one of the 3 major utilities, PG&E, SCE, SDG&E, you can get a rebate just for having an EV. It's basically free money, so please tell everyone you know that has an EV to apply for it.

PG&E gives a $500 rebate one time per VIN. Link: PG&E Clean Fuel Rebate Site
SCE gives $450 one time per VIN. Link: SCE Clean Fuel Rebate Site
SDG&E gives $50/year per VIN. Link: SDG&E EV Climate Credit Site

You must have residential electric service and the vehicle registered to the same address. Any modern plug-in hybrid or EV can qualify. Conversions and older vehicles may be more difficult to get approved, but they should also receive this benefit.

PG&E and SDG&E have had their programs up for most of 2017 already. So Cal Edison just brought theirs online, but on a completely separate site with no links from their main web site. It seems a little sneaky to me.

The PG&E program has been discussed on TMC before: $500 PG&E Clean Fuel Rebate

If you are in California and have electric service from one of the 3 major utilities, PG&E, SCE, SDG&E, you can get a rebate just for having an EV. It's basically free money, so please tell everyone you know that has an EV to apply for it.

You must have residential electric service and the vehicle registered to the same address. Any modern plug-in hybrid or EV can qualify. Conversions and older vehicles may be more difficult to get approved, but they should also receive this benefit.

PG&E and SDG&E have had their programs up for most of 2017 already. So Cal Edison just brought theirs online, but on a completely separate site with no links from their main web site. It seems a little sneaky to me.

SMUD has one too for those that live in CA's state capital, and its the highest at $599 :)
EV Rebate Incentive Application

SMUD has one too for those that live in CA's state capital, and its the highest at $599 :)
EV Rebate Incentive Application
The SMUD program is good. You can get either $599 or a free Clipper Creek HCS-40PR EVSE. However, this program only started on January 1, 2017 and is only for newly purchased or leased vehicles. You must apply for this program within 180 days of purchase or lease. The programs I mentioned in the first post have much looser qualifications. Any currently registered plug-in vehicle can get those rebates.

Thanks a lot for the info!

Does anyone know why SDG&E offers a measly $50 rebate per qualifying vehicle when the other utility companies offer 10 times that amount? I realize that the SDG&E rebate is per year rather than one time but that assumes that the car is owned for 10 years.

Does anyone know why SDG&E offers a measly $50 rebate per qualifying vehicle when the other utility companies offer 10 times that amount? I realize that the SDG&E rebate is per year rather than one time but that assumes that the car is owned for 10 years.

RandyS a known SDG&E employee just posted this in the Energy Environment and Policy sub-forum:
The minimum of $50 was an initial estimate.

The program is an annual program and runs through 2020. The amount of the credit depends on the dollar amount of LCFS credits sold, minus the costs of the program, divided by the number of drivers who registered for the credit.

Both PG&E and SCE decided to estimate the future value of the credits, the number of the drivers involved and the cost of the program in advance and issue a one-time check for the program.

SDG&E decided to do it one year at a time, based on the LCFS credit price in the marketplace and the number of drivers signed up. After collecting driver signups for 4 months and selling LCFS credits, the amount for the 2017 EV Climate Credit was just released and it was $200 (a credit on the driver's bills will begin soon). Future years will bring additional EVCC credits, through 2020.
So, it appears that if you did already sign up before the May 31, 2017 deadline, you will be getting $200 for 2017 and you will get whatever the market and the population of applicants dictates in future years.

I applied for the rebate almost 3 months ago and still no check. I've checked my application and still says 'processing'. Has anyone received a check yet?

• Love
Reactions: pvazquez03