Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

clean power alliance net metering question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Every time I get a bill I am surprised by thinking I understood how I will be charged for next month, but nooo! they throw in something new.

So because net export is paid so badly by SCE I decided to limit my powerwalls to 50% instead of 10%. Therefore, most of the night I draw power from the grid. I didnt think it would affect my bill by much because during they day I export a lot and I thought that my non-tracked charges would increase a little bit. But instead my clean power alliance supply/generation charges increased a lot!
Because their super off peak rates are $0.003 and I exported 450kW, they gave me around $1 dollar credit. But their off-peak rate is $0.12, thats when I am drawing power during the night, and I drew 244kW, so bang $30! Now they make me pay that at the end of the month, but when rates change next month for the summer, I should be in credit, the credit that I earn will I ever see in real cash, or will they reduce it? Or the $30 that I paid now, will I ever see it again?

That's the problem with CPA. They bill each month instead of annually like SCE does for generation. You will be credited at the end of the relevant period (April of each year) but they are holding your money all that time. More info here (scroll down the page to How It Works).

You will get the $10 back at true-up. Wholesale credit is provided for any net generation (negative kWh at true-up). On TOU, you can have a credit balance and be a net consumer, in which case you only get the credit.