Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clean shiny salvage Tesla, should I buy this? - Noob question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think that the only picture taken out of order is the ninth one (the nice clean and shiny photo). It has a front paper plate that is not visible in the other photos but the sticker on the window and yellow writing seems the same.

Copart sells cars for insurance companies. It’s basically a junkyard. There is a ton of corruption there. There’s a reason they are selling it. I would take the bus every day before I would buy a car from them!

You have a better chance of winning Powerball than getting a good deal on a car there.

Copart sells cars for insurance companies. It’s basically a junkyard. There is a ton of corruption there. There’s a reason they are selling it. I would take the bus every day before I would buy a car from them!

You have a better chance of winning Powerball than getting a good deal on a car there.

I've had really good experiences buying ICE cars from there in great condition after minor damage like a hail storm. There are some deals to be had.

Why do you say that?

This my friend: go click through the pictures.

upload_2019-9-20_16-25-8.png

Copart appears to have many lots across the country. My only dealing with them was when I donated my 2000 BMW 323i to Habitat for Humanity. Copart was the actual company that arranged pickup of the car and handled the paperwork.

For a "salvage" Model 3, that appears to have arrived at the Copart lot able to drive under its own power, I'd guess that something happened to the underside of the car (the only photos we don't have access to). It could have been dropped off a transporter or lift. Major suspension work might be needed. Or maybe one of the motors is damaged. Either way, I would only buy it to part it out.

Reactions: KenC
Copart appears to have many lots across the country. My only dealing with them was when I donated my 2000 BMW 323i to Habitat for Humanity. Copart was the actual company that arranged pickup of the car and handled the paperwork.

For a "salvage" Model 3, that appears to have arrived at the Copart lot able to drive under its own power, I'd guess that something happened to the underside of the car (the only photos we don't have access to). It could have been dropped off a transporter or lift. Major suspension work might be needed. Or maybe one of the motors is damaged. Either way, I would only buy it to part it out.

Yeah, this also could be the case. Anyone wanna make a $100 to go check it out lol? Probably right to not think of it for anything else than parts.

The old motto: "If sounds to good to be true it probably is." definitely applies to used cars. Can you afford to be out 15 grand? If you can you can probably afford to buy a Tesla from more reliable source or new even.

Keep in mind that these people sell cars for a profit and they have a lot more experience selling than you'll ever have buying. They aren't going to come up short on the sale. That means this car is far worse than it appears.