Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clean Vehicle Assistance Program and Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I installed a Tesla Wall Connector and received my CVAP reimbursement. I already have a 200 amp panel but had to have a sub-panel installed because I didn't have enough space in my main panel. It was a little over $2,000 for both, and CVAP did reimburse $2,000. A couple of things to consider:

1. You are supposed to submit the paperwork for approval before you install the EVSE.
2. You MUST get a permit from the city and are required to submit the signed job card to get the reimbursement

I used my own electrician rather than the Grid Alternatives one. I wanted more control over the process. I was surprised at how fast everything was. The approval to do the work came the day after submission. The approval for reimbursement following the work came the day after as well. It was supposed to take up to 30 days to get the check and I got mine within a week.

Does GRID Alternatives contact you or do you email them?

I installed a Tesla Wall Connector and received my CVAP reimbursement. I already have a 200 amp panel but had to have a sub-panel installed because I didn't have enough space in my main panel. It was a little over $2,000 for both, and CVAP did reimburse $2,000. A couple of things to consider:

1. You are supposed to submit the paperwork for approval before you install the EVSE.
2. You MUST get a permit from the city and are required to submit the signed job card to get the reimbursement

I used my own electrician rather than the Grid Alternatives one. I wanted more control over the process. I was surprised at how fast everything was. The approval to do the work came the day after submission. The approval for reimbursement following the work came the day after as well. It was supposed to take up to 30 days to get the check and I got mine within a week.
Thanks very much. Most helpful. My understanding is that the city of Los Angeles (I'm located unincorporated Altadena) does not require a permit to install a residential level 2 charger as long as the work is carried out be a licensed electrician (this is based on what electricians have told me when I got quotes a couple of years ago but haven't been able to find a city document on-line that confirm this), however, I downloaded the "Charging Grant Manual" from the CVAP site and see that they require a "Photo of the signed permit inspection card".

Thanks for that info. I thought that GRID was the one who pays for charging system.

Thanks very much. Most helpful. My understanding is that the city of Los Angeles (I'm located unincorporated Altadena) does not require a permit to install a residential level 2 charger as long as the work is carried out be a licensed electrician (this is based on what electricians have told me when I got quotes a couple of years ago but haven't been able to find a city document on-line that confirm this), however, I downloaded the "Charging Grant Manual" from the CVAP site and see that they require a "Photo of the signed permit inspection card".

Yup. Doesn't matter what your city requires. CVAP requires the signed job card, so you have to get a permit.

Reactions: tbwnm
For anyone interested, we received our CVRP check today.

Application: 11/04/2020
Check Received: 01/29/2020

Background: Model Y and we filed shortly after taking delivery of the vehicle in late October. We did not have to verify income. I used the temporary license plate to file the application.

• Informative
Reactions: RichieDean
Thought I'd share my experience with GRID. GRID contacted me through email 20 days after I picked up my Tesla. I explained to them that I already had an existing NEMA 14-50 outlet installed outside. Their offer was to send me a Tesla 14-50 mobile connector and credit me $1000 charging credit for evgo. I accepted it. The mobile connector I received is different than the one that came with the car. No need for adapter for NEMA 14-50 and the cable is thicker, which is nice. Now as soon as Tesla comes out with a CCS 2 adapter I'll be in business for the evgo credit.... that or bite the bullet and get their chademo adapter .
Overall I was happy with me experience. Everything was done through email and with my particular situation, I didn't have to sign or fill out any extra paperwork.

Thought I'd share my experience with GRID. GRID contacted me through email 20 days after I picked up my Tesla. I explained to them that I already had an existing NEMA 14-50 outlet installed outside. Their offer was to send me a Tesla 14-50 mobile connector and credit me $1000 charging credit for evgo. I accepted it. The mobile connector I received is different than the one that came with the car. No need for adapter for NEMA 14-50 and the cable is thicker, which is nice. Now as soon as Tesla comes out with a CCS 2 adapter I'll be in business for the evgo credit.... that or bite the bullet and get their chademo adapter .
Overall I was happy with me experience. Everything was done through email and with my particular situation, I didn't have to sign or fill out any extra paperwork.
Thanks for the info. Sounds like I'm in the same situation as you. Does the mobile connector they gave you charge the same rate as the tesla mobile charger?

Thanks for the info. Sounds like I'm in the same situation as you. Does the mobile connector they gave you charge the same rate as the tesla mobile charger?

It IS the Tesla mobile charger except the plug is already for 14-50, so yes, the same charging rate. No need for an adapter... and the cable is thicker. Tesla actually called me to confirm order. I had to give them the number for GRID so they could call them to confirm since GRID was the one who actually placed the order.

Here's what was sent to me:
Corded Mobile Connector

I have the M3 SR+ so charging speeds were the same, but maybe it'll be faster for the other models that don't have a cap on their charging rate. Definitely faster than the 5-15 plug.

Last edited:
Just submitted my application on 02/01/21.

I'm a bit confused on how the GRID level 2 charging grant works. I hear some people say you have to wait for 30 days after getting the Tesla, but that seems odd as I would want to have level 2 home charging installed within the first week of ownership...

Is it true that I can just go ahead and get a Tesla Wall Connector installed by a local electrician and have GRID reimburse me for costs up to $2000?