Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clean Vehicle Assistance Program and Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got on a call with CVAP today and they gave me some useful numbers.

Looks like there are currently around 300-400 on the reservation list, he didn't have the exact number.
About 20-30% people don't end up using the grant.
There are currently 2734 approved grants; some have 125 days to use it, some have 60 days to use it.

20% of the 2734 people who won't end up using it would be roughly 500 grants that should still be assigned to people on the current reservation list so if we're willing to wait 60-90 days or so we should have a good chance of getting it still especially those that applied in Dec and early Jan.
I feel like there’s also a chance that all those approved people heard that the CVAP ran out of funds would just use it now since applying again might not guarantee that there will be anymore money. But yeah all the Dec and early Jan people I feel like have a chance. I applied early February :(

I applied 01/10...I can wait 60-90 days, but I think by that time CVRP will run out of funds, so dont know if waiting would make much difference. Where can we find funding information for these organizations?
I was thinking the same thing. Not sure where in CA you’re located, but here’s a list of Bay Area EV programs

I applied 01/10...I can wait 60-90 days, but I think by that time CVRP will run out of funds, so dont know if waiting would make much difference. Where can we find funding information for these organizations?
This is what I found on the cvrp website.they claim this is real time data.

Attachments

• 0B0CE74A-AD2C-4635-80B4-2D28E38AD6AD.jpeg
    0B0CE74A-AD2C-4635-80B4-2D28E38AD6AD.jpeg
    167 KB · Views: 122

Looks like there are currently around 300-400 on the reservation list, he didn't have the exact number.
There are currently 2734 approved grants; some have 125 days to use it, some have 60 days to use it.

20% of the 2734 people who won't end up using it would be roughly 500 grants that should still be assigned to people on the current reservation list so if we're willing to wait 60-90 days or so we should have a good chance of getting it still especially those that applied in Dec and early Jan.
I’m also wondering though since they are now only going to offer a 60 day turn around to purchase a vehicle let’s say we get approved in late April we would need to hope we can get a Tesla prior to the end of June right ?

Thanks for sharing that, that’s really useful information for those on the waiting list

Reactions: CezerXavier
I'm not sure if anybody knows this answer but does anyone know if it will be a problem if I did the cvap under my name but we finance the car with my wife's name as the primary borrower, and me as the co-borrower?
This won't be a problem. My dad is the one applying for CVAP while I'm on the title with him as well and they told me that as long as the person applying to CVAP is on the title then you're good even if there are others on the title.

I emailed the CARB (Clean Air Resource Board) who funds the CVAP program, I asked about when new funding may be allocated to CVAP, they said it will not be until future legislature for the next fiscal year is voted on most likely in the summer. The current situation is exactly what CVAP stated, they have all their available funds tied up in already approved grant applications, so if you are number 275 on the reservation list, you have to wait for 275 approved grant holders to not use their funds during their 60 /125 days.

If people who have approved grants use their funds, that money does not get replenished.

I would love the grant, but I can't help thinking it won't be in the near future

I emailed the CARB (Clean Air Resource Board) who funds the CVAP program, I asked about when new funding may be allocated to CVAP, they said it will not be until future legislature for the next fiscal year is voted on most likely in the summer. The current situation is exactly what CVAP stated, they have all their available funds tied up in already approved grant applications, so if you are number 275 on the reservation list, you have to wait for 275 approved grant holders to not use their funds during their 60 /125 days.

If people who have approved grants use their funds, that money does not get replenished.

I would love the grant, but I can't help thinking it won't be in the near future
Also It should be said that as of September, 2020 only 12 people have actually used a grant to purchase a tesla in ALL of California, that should tell you something about this program, I feel they make it hard on purpose.

how long after applying does it take to go “under review”?

Also It should be said that as of September, 2020 only 12 people have actually used a grant to purchase a tesla in ALL of California, that should tell you something about this program, I feel they make it hard on purpose.

Just got off the phone with CVAP and they just confirmed what everyone here knows, the reservation list is in place, and they have no more funding. What she did tell me is that they were working on late December early January applications when the list was implemented, and that the the other time they ran out of funds it took 14 months to bring it back. If what CARB told you is true, than that means that if legislation does not fund CVAP again it could be until next year when they budget again. Not to mention that they could kick budget for the year down the road, in other words is not looking good.

Exactly TheRev, I am fortunate enough to be able to get a Tesla without the grant, so I will likely have to go without it despite potentially being eligible, the other part is this, you only have 60 days from approval to get your Tesla, depending on the time of year that you are approved, it may take longer than 60 days for Tesla to have your car ready for delivery.

Just got off the phone with CVAP and they just confirmed what everyone here knows, the reservation list is in place, and they have no more funding. What she did tell me is that they were working on late December early January applications when the list was implemented, and that the the other time they ran out of funds it took 14 months to bring it back. If what CARB told you is true, than that means that if legislation does not fund CVAP again it could be until next year when they budget again. Not to mention that they could kick budget for the year down the road, in other words is not looking good.
For what it’s worth, my application was turned in on the 1/30 and went into review 3/16 requesting further documentation. As mentioned right before the reservation list announcement one of the CVAP reps said that they were working on approvals for December, and applications for January. So it appears they handle them separately. I’m not holding out hope for CVAP approval, timing doesn’t workout for us unfortunately.

Exactly TheRev, I am fortunate enough to be able to get a Tesla without the grant, so I will likely have to go without it despite potentially being eligible, the other part is this, you only have 60 days from approval to get your Tesla, depending on the time of year that you are approved, it may take longer than 60 days for Tesla to have your car ready for delivery.
Same Here, I know I qualify, and applied 1/8 when SRY was announced, but did not order the car, waiting on CVAP approval, then SR was gpne and now CVAP is gone, luckly, i got one of the last inventory SR, altough i wanted SR7 and had to settle for 5 seater. If CVAP was any closer to get funds i much rather wait and spend the extra$ for LR, but that does not seem to be the case, who knows maybe ill buy another tesla when the grant comes back. Or if it takes really long then ill use it to upgrade to LR.

are people that choose to drop out of the "reservation list" CVAP put them on actually calling / emailing in to remove themselves (should they choose to do without the grant $)?

is there anyone tracking / able to add more color for the folks that are on this list and want to feel out velocity that may be working in their favor?>

are people that choose to drop out of the "reservation list" CVAP put them on actually calling / emailing in to remove themselves (should they choose to do without the grant $)?

is there anyone tracking / able to add more color for the folks that are on this list and want to feel out velocity that may be working in their favor?>
I sent a request to them to implement some type of tracking system, and they said that they hoped to implement that as soon as possible. 🤞