Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clean Vehicle Assistance Program and Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Imagine What was the process with Tesla, did you just tell them "hey I got the CVAP grant apply it to my order and they will ACH you the funds"? Did you simply send your MVPA to CVAP, did you have to do anything else?
I first contacted Tesla about the grant through the chat on their website (which mysteriously appears and disappears whenever it wants to). That person didn't really seem to know a lot about it, so they had an advisor call me. The sales advisor instructed me to email him my signed CVAP approval packet. So I do that, and he tells me it would be "attached" to my account. Some time goes by, and I don't see any indication of the grant on my account. However, I just assume that they are keeping track of it internally somehow, and maybe it's VIN specific. So I wait a bit more. Weeks go by, and I'm waiting for a VIN like everyone else. VIN shows up, and the grant still isn't on the account. The day before delivery, a different advisor from the delivery center calls me, and I mention the grant to him. He says I need to finish up some final steps before the grant will show up on the account (trade-in related). So I do all that, and he verbally confirms my final payment amount, and makes a note for the delivery person. Again, I don't see the grant reflected in my account where it says amount due. At this point though, I do see the grant included in the actual MVPA under EV Incentive. That definitely put me more at ease. The day of delivery, the driver (it was a forced home delivery) calls me to tell me he's heading out to my location. He wanted to confirm that I had my final payment ready, but I had to remind him of the grant, which he was quickly able to verify. Overall, I wouldn't say it was a smooth process, but they took care of it in the end.

Hey guys, I applied feb 4. Haven’t received anything other then “you’re in line to be reviewed” kinda need to buy something sooner rather then later. With this reservation list I’m Thinking I might give it a few more weeks then just buy my car without the grant. But I do like the idea of free 5k. I have a model 3 LR AWD on order. Any thoughts??

Hey guys, I applied feb 4. Haven’t received anything other then “you’re in line to be reviewed” kinda need to buy something sooner rather then later. With this reservation list I’m Thinking I might give it a few more weeks then just buy my car without the grant. But I do like the idea of free 5k. I have a model 3 LR AWD on order. Any thoughts??
I personally don’t think they’re going to get funded for a long time. I’m thinking late into this year. The last time they were funded, it took 7 months. There are also around 300-400 people on the reservation list. People that applied in late December would be the first ones to get their grant first IF anyone cancels/doesn’t use their CVAP.

I applied mid January, and we are still under “Review”. We went ahead gave up on the CVAP and ordered our car the other day which will be delivered next week.

I personally don’t think they’re going to get funded for a long time. I’m thinking late into this year. The last time they were funded, it took 7 months. There are also around 300-400 people on the reservation list. People that applied in late December would be the first ones to get their grant first IF anyone cancels/doesn’t use their CVAP.

I applied mid January, and we are still under “Review”. We went ahead gave up on the CVAP and ordered our car the other day which will be delivered next week.
They already allocated money for Electric Car Grant programs in the 2021 fiscal budget in the tune of billions. The wait will not be 7 months. I am lucky because I had previously got a grant for my BMW i3 2015. I had issues with the car and had it inspected. The program allows you out of the 30 month ownership if so and allowed me to apply for a new grant. I did this in February. Since this was a replacement car they fast tracked my application and allowed me to jump ahead. I used that to purchase my Model Y and it was delivered last week. I ordered the standard range model Y in February. I got the refresh console. My first delivery I refused because it was the old console. I'm glad because had not for that then I would have had to wait longer and missed out on the last of the standard ranges.

They already allocated money for Electric Car Grant programs in the 2021 fiscal budget in the tune of billions. The wait will not be 7 months. I am lucky because I had previously got a grant for my BMW i3 2015. I had issues with the car and had it inspected. The program allows you out of the 30 month ownership if so and allowed me to apply for a new grant. I did this in February. Since this was a replacement car they fast tracked my application and allowed me to jump ahead. I used that to purchase my Model Y and it was delivered last week. I ordered the standard range model Y in February. I got the refresh console. My first delivery I refused because it was the old console. I'm glad because had not for that then I would have had to wait longer and missed out on the last of the standard ranges.
You're lucky because you applied previously and was able to fast track your application. Like many others, we aren't able to do that since we are still in review. How many months are you thinking our wait will be?

Well
You're lucky because you applied previously and was able to fast track your application. Like many others, we aren't able to do that since we are still in review. How many months are you thinking our wait will be?

I actually just lucked out. I had to fight them to move my application up. They had to get approval to do so. I didn't think it was fair because this was a replacement car, due to issues with a previous grant in which I purchased the i3. I had ordered my car and talked with my delivery rep to try to arrange a delivery time frame. He was very helpful. Although, the standard range did come early, I had my grant approved before then. Great for me since I got to keep the previous grant and apply for a new one at 5k and still get the 1k charging credit or 2k charger installed.

BTW, you have to send your rep the paper work and he will arrange everything with the delivery team. TESLA took the 5k off my purchase price and I paid the difference after the Clean Fuel Reward. You will not get reimbursed. It has to be mailed (the grant) to Tesla directly.

Well the budget is enacted in summer. Newsom proposed 1.5. towards the programs like CVAP. It will get passed. You also know that you can get the Clean Veichle Rebate with the increased rebate of 4,500. I spoke with CVAP because I had applied for my brother. MAKE SURE ALL YOUR PAPERWORK IS IN!!! So that if another grant comes up, they won't have to contact you and can just do an YES OR NO on approval. They will go to the next person while they wait for you to get documents in. Second, she had no numbers on how many grants were approved or the number of what percentage is used. The state asked for those number from them and they are doing a review. I will follow up with those numbers.

We also need to understand that it might be best for all of you to wait because with all the Electric Cars Acts and Green Act talk, you don't want to miss out! By miss out, I meant if you have no tax liability this may be something helpful if its a point of sale discount. The democrats will bring this up since we control the house and senate. Joe Biden is nominating Joe Manchins wife to a top post, I don't think he will be a problem anymore.

I am going to upgrade to long range once it passes. Especially if the Electric Cars Act does with the ability to apply discount at point of sale. Then I will get another Clean Vehicle Increased Rebate (4.5k) and Clean Fuel Reward (1.5k) and 7 (Point of Sale or Tax credit). That will pay for the difference for me.

In short to answer your question, earliest Late summer - early fall (July, August,Sept) from my best estimation, latest winter. It will be this year. Once the budget it passed, it shouldn't take the long to fund once it does, especially since the programs are already up and runnings. This isn't creating a new program where it has to be developed.

Dam really sucks that SRY got pulled, i submitted the application the day it was available for order, on 1/6 was super excited when they reduced price to 39990, and quickly dissapointed after they pulled it. I cant take any inventory or order until I get my approval letter, but i doubt Elons "off menu" tweet will mean anything, now im stuck as there is no fed tax credit nor SRY to order, this really sucks

I ordered my Tesla SRY on Feb 11. Just so y'all know! I ordered before I got approved because I knew I would qualify. I told my SA about the grant and that I wanted delivery in 3 months. It did come early and I could've pushed it back. My situation was different because this was my second grant. They told me originally I had to wait in line, however I argued with them that because I was replacing a car with issue, that I shouldn't have to wait. They agreed and moved my application up. I am surprised to learn that there's a reseveration list considering all this. I think I may have been close to the last of those approved. I got my approval packet March 10. Now I will say it is likely that when they agreed to fast track my processing they allocated a grant for me. My situation was complete different and I may be the first person to get two grants.

Has anyone applied for a second grant? I bought a used Volt with my first grant... now I'm coming up on the 30 month ownership requirement that allows you to apply for a second one. The volt needs to go bye bye lol.

Has anyone had 2 grants? Im wondering if you have to wait to submit your application until after the 30 months and how it's calculated... 30 months from the date of purchase? Or 30 consecutive payments? I'm trying to time it right so I can be without a car for the least amount of time.

I'm noticing that the consensus is apply for the grant, shortly after order the car, reject the cars until the grant shows up on your account, apply for the loan, then take delivery. Someone needs to make a YouTube video about this lol

I got a second grant. Though my situation was different because I had an issue with my car. I only had my car for a little over a year if that (maybe less). They allowed me to replace that car, let me out of the 30 months contract, keep the originally 5k, and then apply for a new grant/and qualify for charging credit/or installation. I have my SRY now. It was delivered on the 18 of march. I refused delivery of first because it was an old console and not refresh. If I was you, you should've applied 3 months before the 30 months. It was taking 3 months to qualify. Now the money has run out until its replenished.

I ordered my car before I got the CVAP grant approval packet. I told my sales rep from the get go what the deal was. I told him the time frame I wanted delivery. I'm glad I waited because the SRY became available and I pulled the trigger on the order on February 11. They discontinued not to long after. I am happy and will apply for the CVR. I am only going to keep the SRY until they pass the new tax credit and then I will upgrade to LRY.

Well

I actually just lucked out. I had to fight them to move my application up. They had to get approval to do so. I didn't think it was fair because this was a replacement car, due to issues with a previous grant in which I purchased the i3. I had ordered my car and talked with my delivery rep to try to arrange a delivery time frame. He was very helpful. Although, the standard range did come early, I had my grant approved before then. Great for me since I got to keep the previous grant and apply for a new one at 5k and still get the 1k charging credit or 2k charger installed.

BTW, you have to send your rep the paper work and he will arrange everything with the delivery team. TESLA took the 5k off my purchase price and I paid the difference after the Clean Fuel Reward. You will not get reimbursed. It has to be mailed (the grant) to Tesla directly.

Well the budget is enacted in summer. Newsom proposed 1.5. towards the programs like CVAP. It will get passed. You also know that you can get the Clean Veichle Rebate with the increased rebate of 4,500. I spoke with CVAP because I had applied for my brother. MAKE SURE ALL YOUR PAPERWORK IS IN!!! So that if another grant comes up, they won't have to contact you and can just do an YES OR NO on approval. They will go to the next person while they wait for you to get documents in. Second, she had no numbers on how many grants were approved or the number of what percentage is used. The state asked for those number from them and they are doing a review. I will follow up with those numbers.

We also need to understand that it might be best for all of you to wait because with all the Electric Cars Acts and Green Act talk, you don't want to miss out! By miss out, I meant if you have no tax liability this may be something helpful if its a point of sale discount. The democrats will bring this up since we control the house and senate. Joe Biden is nominating Joe Manchins wife to a top post, I don't think he will be a problem anymore.

I am going to upgrade to long range once it passes. Especially if the Electric Cars Act does with the ability to apply discount at point of sale. Then I will get another Clean Vehicle Increased Rebate (4.5k) and Clean Fuel Reward (1.5k) and 7 (Point of Sale or Tax credit). That will pay for the difference for me.

In short to answer your question, earliest Late summer - early fall (July, August,Sept) from my best estimation, latest winter. It will be this year. Once the budget it passed, it shouldn't take the long to fund once it does, especially since the programs are already up and runnings. This isn't creating a new program where it has to be developed.
Just so you know to apply for CVAP a second ti.e you have to wait 30 mo. And also keep the car for that long or they will come for the money. CVRP same thing, have to own the car for 30 months, but im not sure if you can apply a second time.

Just so you know to apply for CVAP a second ti.e you have to wait 30 mo. And also keep the car for that long or they will come for the money. CVRP same thing, have to own the car for 30 months, but im not sure if you can apply a second time.
LOL! I know the rules. The CVAP you only have to wait 30 months if the car isn't defective. You have to wait 30 months to get a new grant if its not defective or major mechanical issues or lemon laws. My i3 had issues with the range extender. CVAP allowed me to get a new grant when I provided an inspection from a certified mechanic. You actually only have to wait 30 months for a new grant, you can get rid of your car before that if your trading it in for another electric car. This is in the implementation manual on the website. You won't be able to get another grant but you won't have to pay back the one if you trade in for another car, that is also electric. They may have changed the rules for the CVRP. Last time I checked you could get two grants in your lifetime. However it may have been changed to 1 now.

I called them. If you transfer the CRVP to another electric car then you don't have to repay. They just transfer the grant. I already received two CVAP grants. 1. with the BMW i3 and 2 with the Tesla SRY. I don't have to pay back anything. If you read my post you would have realized that it was a different situation. I was able to work with the program and get out of it/and get a new grant. Also, if you read the implementation manual for the CVAP says you don't have to pay if you trade in for another electric vehicle. I know this program in and out. I was mistaken about the CRVP because they changed the rules in 2019. You were able prior to 2019 to get two rebates. In fact, if you got one prior to 2019, you still can get a second. That is only if you already got a first prior to the rule change. This still doesn't change my plans. There will be more money down the pipe line for electric cars and if the green or electric cars act pass, then I am ordering a LRY.

I called them. If you transfer the CRVP to another electric car then you don't have to repay. They just transfer the grant. I already received two CVAP grants. 1. with the BMW i3 and 2 with the Tesla SRY. I don't have to pay back anything. If you read my post you would have realized that it was a different situation. I was able to work with the program and get out of it/and get a new grant. Also, if you read the implementation manual for the CVAP says you don't have to pay if you trade in for another electric vehicle. I know this program in and out. I was mistaken about the CRVP because they changed the rules in 2019. You were able prior to 2019 to get two rebates. In fact, if you got one prior to 2019, you still can get a second. That is only if you already got a first prior to the rule change. This still doesn't change my plans. There will be more money down the pipe line for electric cars and if the green or electric cars act pass, then I am ordering a LRY.
Oh that is great, Im not oppose to that, in fact that is exactly my case, i really wanted a SR7 Y but wile waiting on CVAP SR was gone for order, so i figure I'll just buy a LR7 when CVAP aproves, and then CVAP was gone, so i order an inventory SRY but its a 5 seater and now im thinking once cvap is back and if the fed credit comes back, ill just upgrade and wont have to pay back anything. I wonder if you have to trade the car in or if you can sell somewhere else as long as you buy a new car. I have a feeling there will be a big hit on trade in value on SR

FYI - you can check your application status, link can also be found on the homepage banner. But I’m sure mostly everyone’s message will be the same as this:

Hello, xxxxxx, your clean vehicle grant application is in line to be reviewed, and we will send you an email once our review is finalized. In the meantime, we recommend visiting our FAQ page for frequently asked questions about our program: FAQ - Clean Vehicle Assistance Program . Thank you for your patience, and please don’t hesitate to contact us with any questions at [email protected].

Sincerely,

CVAP Team

Hi All,

I know there is a "Reservation List" that has been in placed since 3/17/21. My questions for those who are still waiting to get an approval from CVAP are:

1) when did you apply/completed your application?
2) when was the last time you received an email or any type of communication from CVAP?

I applied on 12/24/20 and on 3/3/21, I received an email telling me that I am in the "final decision stage". Since then, I have not heard anything from them. I am just curious what other people are experiencing.

Thanks!

Hi All,

I know there is a "Reservation List" that has been in placed since 3/17/21. My questions for those who are still waiting to get an approval from CVAP are:

2) when was the last time you received an email or any type of communication from CVAP?

I applied on 12/24/20 and on 3/3/21, I received an email telling me that I am in the "final decision stage". Since then, I have not heard anything from them. I am just curious what other people are experiencing.

Thanks!

I also completed my app 12/24. 3/15: "application has been reviewed and has been sent, given our protocols, to management. While we do not know how long it will take for you to receive a decision, this can take from 2-8 weeks, Management will be doing that and sending you an email once their reviews are done."

Hi All,

Thanks!
Apllied 12/18. Never received anything from CVAP in email. All the updates I had gotten was from calling them. The last time I spoke with CVAP I was told my application was sent to supervisor for approval. And then funding ran out. I guess we're all now on the the wait list.

The last person to get approved applied on 12/16. If you're not really in rush to buy just wait because we're so close. Crossing my fingers it will be sooner than later.

I also completed my app 12/24. 3/15: "application has been reviewed and has been sent, given our protocols, to management. While we do not know how long it will take for you to receive a decision, this can take from 2-8 weeks, Management will be doing that and sending you an email once their reviews are done."
Seems like we are on the same boat! Let me know if you hear anything from them in the near future! Hope you get approved for the grant soon!

Apllied 12/18. Never received anything from CVAP in email. All the updates I had gotten was from calling them. The last time I spoke with CVAP I was told my application was sent to supervisor for approval. And then funding ran out. I guess we're all now on the the wait list.

The last person to get approved applied on 12/16. If you're not really in rush to buy just wait because we're so close. Crossing my fingers it will be sooner than later.
🤞🏼

Applied on 1/2 and received this email on 3/25. My Tesla MY was scheduled for delivery today and had to postpone the order 😥

Hello,

Your application is on the reservation list. Currently because of the reservation list implemented on 3-17-2021 due to low available funds, we are not approving any applications until funds are made available to those accounts. This can occur either by the program receiving more funding or funding not being used in other approvals and given to other accounts. We do not have a timeline or data on this new process, and we are unable to see the place in line participants are in. For more information please visit our website- Clean Vehicle Assistance Program. If you have more questions we will be happy to help.
Thank you for your patience.