Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cleanest looking wireless dashboard phone charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone. I have no desire/need to get one of these. However, for those looking for a super clean looking dashboard mounted wireless phone charger (and don’t mind spending a little money), I think this is the best, cleanest looking one that I’ve seen out there. As you will see, this mount/charger is actually integrated onto the steering wheel column. Check out the product video at the top of the listing and then scroll down a little to see the separate install video. Installation looks pretty straight-forward to me.

Reactions: lUtriaNt and KenC
If that’s the look you are going for, it looks VERY clean.
Think about the way you’ll be using the phone while driving and if that placement suits that use as interacting with it will be problemsome and potentially dangerous. Second, in FL, that mounting location would not work as its in the path of the bearing sun and there’s no quicker way to destroy your battery than to charge at higher temps. I would think VA would be pretty hot as well, at least in summer.

If that’s the look you are going for, it looks VERY clean.
Think about the way you’ll be using the phone while driving and if that placement suits that use as interacting with it will be problemsome and potentially dangerous. Second, in FL, that mounting location would not work as its in the path of the bearing sun and there’s no quicker way to destroy your battery than to charge at higher temps. I would think VA would be pretty hot as well, at least in summer.
Yeah, I agree the location behind the steering wheel may not be ideal in terms of actually touching, interacting with & using your phone while driving. However, common sense should tell the user that you shouldn’t be trying to fiddle with your phone while you’re driving. So, if everyone uses their mounts & phones the way it is intended while driving (meaning don‘t fiddle with your dang phone!!), then there’s no safety concern. However, we all know how that goes…

Regarding the heat of the sun being a possible issue, technically you are correct and operating temps will be higher. However, there are literally millions of people using wired and wireless dashboard mounted phone chargers without much reported issue of phone/battery damage due to heat from the sun. Perhaps the cooler cabin air temps (even on & around the dashboard) from running the AC prevents any real excessive heat.
So, I think the heat from the sun is a complete non-issue in most use cases.

Reactions: CarlThompson
Yeah, I agree the location behind the steering wheel may not be ideal in terms of actually touching, interacting with & using your phone while driving. However, common sense should tell the user that you shouldn’t be trying to fiddle with your phone while you’re driving

All true, but if someone wasnt going to touch their phone while driving, what would be the purpose of this device vs the included wireless charger in the console, which also puts the phone in a location which is perfectly fine if one isnt interacting with their phone?

For the same price, this may be a better solution for a model 3/Y:

I installed on my MY and it is rock solid and your hand that controls the phone is perfectly placed when relaxing on the armrest.

Reactions: lUtriaNt
All true, but if someone wasnt going to touch their phone while driving, what would be the purpose of this device vs the included wireless charger in the console, which also puts the phone in a location which is perfectly fine if one isnt interacting with their phone?
I’m not one, but I think some (perhaps even many) folks like to use their phone for navigation. So, a phone in the landscape position directly in front of them (and without blocking a view of the road ahead) might be appealing to some. Who knows??

I’m not one, but I think some (perhaps even many) folks like to use their phone for navigation. So, a phone in the landscape position directly in front of them (and without blocking a view of the road ahead) might be appealing to some. Who knows??

That makes sense, although I didnt think about it. I guess it would depend on the seating position of the individual and if they can see through the steering wheel in their normal position.

I do know some people use their phone for waze etc. I certainly dont, but I know some do. Thanks for the response.

That makes sense, although I didnt think about it. I guess it would depend on the seating position of the individual and if they can see through the steering wheel in their normal position.

I do know some people use their phone for waze etc. I certainly dont, but I know some do. Thanks for the response.
You’re welcome. I’m the type of person who does not fiddle/play with their phone while I’m driving. So, a location behind the steering wheel would work for me. For those who constantly must & do play with their phone while driving… well, something like this would clearly not be for them.

Now, let’s think even a little further outside the box… imagine you are one of those folks who are open minded enough to try a yoke steering wheel (photo shown below for reference) and also put this particular phone mount on the steering wheel column… Man, that would be so nice/clean looking!!! Note, I grabbed this random photo off the interweb, so it’s not my vehicle.

To be clear, I would never buy/install this phone mount. However, I can imagine some might find this set-up/combo very appealing.

1631640831018.jpeg

Last edited:
Hey everyone. I have no desire/need to get one of these. However, for those looking for a super clean looking dashboard mounted wireless phone charger (and don’t mind spending a little money), I think this is the best, cleanest looking one that I’ve seen out there. As you will see, this mount/charger is actually integrated onto the steering wheel column. Check out the product video at the top of the listing and then scroll down a little to see the separate install video. Installation looks pretty straight-forward to me.

Nice, I use ABRP, on trips on my phone, so this would be very nice, but that price. It'd have to be half the price to make sense for a holder/charger.

I just installed this in my 2019 m3 sr+ and I absolutely love it. I’m not sure if I got a newer updated version since this thread started, but just wanted to post some pictures and also my thoughts:

1. The replacement top half of the steering column fascia which houses the wireless charger matches the Tesla fascia almost 100%. I’ve watched install videos where it looked a little off, mine does not at all.

2. The charger assembly itself is very good build quality. It is all aluminum and the charger itself has some heft to it. Nothing feels cheap or flimsy.

3. The steering column replacement top half is an exact fit. All the snaps lined up seemlessly and flush with the steering column. There are no visible gaps between the upper and lower half of the steering column, this does have a truly OEM look.

3. Haven’t had the chance to charge my phone up fully yet, but what’s interesting is the MagSafe animation showing on my iPhone 13 Pro. I know this is not a MagSafe certified device, and the charger does not have any magnetic properties. Seems to be 7.5w charging at max. There is something triggering the MagSafe animation I guess maybe a clone chip or something.

4. Install was fairly straightforward. It does involve some disassembly of the dashboard, steering column and driver side kick panels but it’s something anyone can do by taking their time and following a good install video on YT. From start to finish it took me 34 minutes.

5. This charger utilizes the blue wiring harness in the driver side door behind the
curved sill protector that runs along the bottom portion of the a-pillar. I had previously installed the Hansshow DIY premium audio harness, which utilizes this same connection to activate the pillar speakers and door tweeters. The connection for this charger can be installed in between the OEM blue harness and the Hansshow audio harness with no issues, for anyone wondering if there would be comparability issues.

6. Overall I am very pleased with the look and feel of the charger. It seems to do a decent job of charging my phone and for my height (5’7) I have full visibility of my phone in the charger while driving. I use waze for navigation as it is crowd sourced and I find it is far more intuitive in adjusting my morning and afternoon commute than teslas native GPS offering. I also work in NYC and like having Waze’s ability to identify where speed cameras are (they seem to be adding them every day) so that I don’t get those $50 tickets in the mail.

If anyone has any questions send me a DM I’m happy to help!
14FEE42B-49BB-4443-A7C6-11403A6C7CB4.jpeg

Attachments

• 0A1213ED-8987-4DB9-9DA8-D3BD9B9ADE46.jpeg
    0A1213ED-8987-4DB9-9DA8-D3BD9B9ADE46.jpeg
    228.8 KB · Views: 118
  • 4A272B6C-A89C-490F-86B8-28A441DBEEE7.jpeg
    4A272B6C-A89C-490F-86B8-28A441DBEEE7.jpeg
    276.9 KB · Views: 114
  • 1BC85075-65B5-4483-BDB8-F8B229B5C4AC.jpeg
    1BC85075-65B5-4483-BDB8-F8B229B5C4AC.jpeg
    396.4 KB · Views: 107
  • C5000476-347B-4F02-9FB5-5D37DBC180B7.jpeg
    C5000476-347B-4F02-9FB5-5D37DBC180B7.jpeg
    276.1 KB · Views: 116
  • 7C06D3F9-118E-4ADE-9771-874ACF5E04C6.jpeg
    7C06D3F9-118E-4ADE-9771-874ACF5E04C6.jpeg
    451.2 KB · Views: 115
The seller in the OP sells this for $159 but apparently the same charger can be bought from a different seller for just $46.

Yeah, the prices on these have definitely done down. However, the one you linked above which sells for $46, may not include the wiring harness (OBD connector). Reading the fine print in their product description makes me think that $46 includes only the charger & housing. So, anyone considering this particular item/seller should contact the seller to confirm what is included. Looks like the complete kit (including the OBD wiring harness) is going for around $60 from most other sellers on AliExpress.

I just installed this in my 2019 m3 sr+ and I absolutely love it. I’m not sure if I got a newer updated version since this thread started, but just wanted to post some pictures and also my thoughts:

1. The replacement top half of the steering column fascia which houses the wireless charger matches the Tesla fascia almost 100%. I’ve watched install videos where it looked a little off, mine does not at all.

2. The charger assembly itself is very good build quality. It is all aluminum and the charger itself has some heft to it. Nothing feels cheap or flimsy.

3. The steering column replacement top half is an exact fit. All the snaps lined up seemlessly and flush with the steering column. There are no visible gaps between the upper and lower half of the steering column, this does have a truly OEM look.

3. Haven’t had the chance to charge my phone up fully yet, but what’s interesting is the MagSafe animation showing on my iPhone 13 Pro. I know this is not a MagSafe certified device, and the charger does not have any magnetic properties. Seems to be 7.5w charging at max. There is something triggering the MagSafe animation I guess maybe a clone chip or something.

4. Install was fairly straightforward. It does involve some disassembly of the dashboard, steering column and driver side kick panels but it’s something anyone can do by taking their time and following a good install video on YT. From start to finish it took me 34 minutes.

5. This charger utilizes the blue wiring harness in the driver side door behind the
curved sill protector that runs along the bottom portion of the a-pillar. I had previously installed the Hansshow DIY premium audio harness, which utilizes this same connection to activate the pillar speakers and door tweeters. The connection for this charger can be installed in between the OEM blue harness and the Hansshow audio harness with no issues, for anyone wondering if there would be comparability issues.

6. Overall I am very pleased with the look and feel of the charger. It seems to do a decent job of charging my phone and for my height (5’7) I have full visibility of my phone in the charger while driving. I use waze for navigation as it is crowd sourced and I find it is far more intuitive in adjusting my morning and afternoon commute than teslas native GPS offering. I also work in NYC and like having Waze’s ability to identify where speed cameras are (they seem to be adding them every day) so that I don’t get those $50 tickets in the mail.

If anyone has any questions send me a DM I’m happy to help!
View attachment 753784
I just installed one of these today on my 2022 MYLR. What is the best phone app?

• Funny
I just installed one of these today on my 2022 MYLR. What is the best phone app?
I have been using “Speedometer” app. It’s ok, not great, but it works. You can customize the display to show trip, odometer and speedometer. There’s a few in-app purchases to make it what you want, but it’s less than $5.

NB - I’m getting a dash display delivered today, and I’m selling my charging mount, I found that I really do miss the instrument panel in front of me, and the latest release from hansshow has finally gotten the CarPlay/dash display to a level that I think really works well, so I’m going to try it out.

I have been using “Speedometer” app. It’s ok, not great, but it works. You can customize the display to show trip, odometer and speedometer. There’s a few in-app purchases to make it what you want, but it’s less than $5.

NB - I’m getting a dash display delivered today, and I’m selling my charging mount, I found that I really do miss the instrument panel in front of me, and the latest release from hansshow has finally gotten the CarPlay/dash display to a level that I think really works well, so I’m going to try it out.
Yeah, I am tempted by the Hansshow display, but will give my phone a try. I agree that Speedometer is probably the best app- I have bought a variation of it.

Reactions: PauliePucks
Yeah, I am tempted by the Hansshow display, but will give my phone a try. I agree that Speedometer is probably the best app- I have bought a variation of it.
The newest Linux based 9” display is probably the best it’s gonna get (until they combine the built in dash style one that’s floating around which looks amazing but is really bad UI/software) which is why I pulled the trigger on it. I’m hoping the add the front camera to it eventually like the previous versions.

Speedometer app is good, just felt it was buggy and the token system was a bit annoying. The biggest gripe was that I had to force close the app every time I used it or it would run in the background. Sketchy permissions too.

I recently grabbed one of these off Alibaba. The kit was good and installed easy enough. The disappointing factor nobody mentions is the wireless charging is pretty low level at 670mA max on a Pixel 6 that gets 2440mA using my lighter outlet charger. For my use it just keeps the charge level with the phone screen on running Youtube. I do not gain or lose any charge is all it provides.

Can anyone comment as to how well this mount holds the phone in place on bumps and high G corners?
I’m looking for something I can monitor critical temperatures with (using scan my tesla) during spirited driving or track days w/o having a phone fly out the window/across the dash