Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cleaning and treating tires and rim.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New to EV, I usually try to keep my tires and rim looking like new as best I can.
In the past I used the car jack to remove the tire and wash and treat the rims and
tires. Then put them back on.

With no jack included in the car and the bottom point of the car being the batteries
plus it seems regeneration braking temporarily stops after a tire swap has me re-thinking
how to do this or if I should.

I have seen after market pads for jacking the car. Plus one would need a jack to match the pads.
Not sure if this is the best way to DIY but it is the only option I have seen.

I do have a question, with regenerative braking I have to assume the brakes are used less so the
accumulation of brake dust should equally be less?

Any comments from others that like to keep the car feeds clean?

Reactions: lUtriaNt
ive got the 20 inch performance wheels. they have enough space in them that i can hand wash them when they get dirty. here in LA does not rain as much as tampa so ill just use a microfiber dust brush like this to keep what little dust i get inside there on those rare times i use the brakes. :p

81bGKXjrm5L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

i also use surf city car wash and water (nothing special) when they do get dirty.
i use a spray wax detailer every couple days (its dusty here in LA with the fires and such) and use stoner windshield cleaner on microfiber cloth to remove dust from the wheels as well.

6148Cvh274L._AC_SL1000_.jpg

we all have our special ways of cleaning things - this is mine. im not a fan of complicated chemicals or fancy hoo-has. i like things simple. :p

EDIT: you mentioned the tires - i use surf city

beyond_black_tire_dressing_2048x2048.jpg

With the dark gray 20" and almost NO DUST, I never touch the wheels anymore except to wash like rest of car. I actually deliberately use the brakes just before arriving home to keep them clean, cuz otherwise rarely touch 'em

I like both of these products. The Diablo Wheel cleaner cleans well and has a very pleasant scent. The kicker tire dressing is a water-based glossy tire spray. I was impressed how it glossed up the tires with just one application. If you want a matte finish, this is not the tire dresing for you.

My only concern about the Diablo Wheel cleaner is the price. On Amazon right now, you can get 1 gallon of the Diablo Wheel cleaner for $60.44. My current favorite wheel and tire cleaner is Meguiars Non Acid Wheel and Tire Cleaner (D143). A gallon of the Meguiars is currently on Amazon for $25.48. You can use both at roughly the same dilution ratios of 3:1, so the Meguiars is a much more cost effective option and I think it cleans just as well as the CG Diablo.

To clean the tires, I use some dishwashing liquid with quarter bucket of water or less, and a tire brush:

TUF SHINE Tire Brush

For the wheels, I simply use the dishwashing liquid and a dedicated microfiber towel. I haven't had to clean between the wheels thoroughly yet, but have a brush like this if needed:

Large Bendable Wheel Brush - Griot's Garage

Thanks to regen braking, my wheels stay shiny for weeks.

I hadn't settled on a good tire shine yet, but just bought a bottle of that Chemical Guys TVD11316 thanks to joebuin77. Their products have yet to disappoint.

Reactions: joebruin77
I like both of these products. The Diablo Wheel cleaner cleans well and has a very pleasant scent. The kicker tire dressing is a water-based glossy tire spray. I was impressed how it glossed up the tires with just one application. If you want a matte finish, this is not the tire dresing for you.

My only concern about the Diablo Wheel cleaner is the price. On Amazon right now, you can get 1 gallon of the Diablo Wheel cleaner for $60.44. My current favorite wheel and tire cleaner is Meguiars Non Acid Wheel and Tire Cleaner (D143). A gallon of the Meguiars is currently on Amazon for $25.48. You can use both at roughly the same dilution ratios of 3:1, so the Meguiars is a much more cost effective option and I think it cleans just as well as the CG Diablo.

Smells like the original bubble gum haha. I completely agree about the price being high, and it goes fairly quick.