Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cleaning black metal trim around windows? After wash oxidized (rainbow colors)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can anyone share if they are using a special cleaner for their black metal trim?

Today I gave my Y it's first wash and I'm not sure if it's because the trim pieces were too hot from sitting in the sun but the trim around the windows turned into a rainbow finish. I used a different soap and cold water from inside the house to get it close to normal again. It took quite a few rounds of cold water, soap, and rubbing it to remove the rainbows. But I feel like it's back to almost the way it was before the wash.

Attachments

• IMG_8448.jpg
    IMG_8448.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 1,627
  • IMG_8450.jpg
    IMG_8450.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 1,248
A fairly well known brand of soap and water from the house! The door handles didn't turn colors so I really think it's more because of how hot the trim was at the time.

Use a PH neutral CAR WASH soap only that don’t contain waxes or ‘conditioners’. Never dish detergent.

https://www.amazon.com/Adams-Shampoo-Neutral-Formula-Cleaning/dp/B00UICCQGQ

https://www.amazon.com/3D-Pink-Car-Soap-Chemicals/dp/B0007RVLDQ

https://www.amazon.com/Chemical-Guys-CWS_402_16-Super-Shampoo/dp/B00BJCAPEE?th=1

• Informative
Reactions: MO310
I will add to O3DSG’s list...

I have used Prima Car Care for my cars and have never had a bad experience and the car comes out perfect. I recommend the Hydro line, used it on my Mini, MB, and now the Y. For black trim I use their Nero spray...clean look and feel without the “armor all” glare. :)

Premium Car Care Products Since 1999 - Prima Car Care

(I have no affiliation with Prima, just really like the products)

• Informative
Reactions: MO310
Just to clarify I didn't use dish soap. I used a brand that has been around the automotive scene for a very long time and they are a big part of the aftermarket car industry.

Thanks to everyone for sharing their brands that they have used! Very helpful!

Am i the only one and thinks that the trim piece is faulty. Looks like the coating is gone which means a manufacturing defect but again its hard to tell from the picture.

It's not faulty. It's the soaps PH.

Just to clarify I didn't use dish soap. I used a brand that has been around the automotive scene for a very long time and they are a big part of the aftermarket car industry.

The main issue is PH factor. Not just an issue on black trim but bright anodized as well:

Rear Chrome Trim Fading - Anyone else?

Attachments

• 373512A1-E300-4A00-A25B-10DEFE659D3F.jpeg
    373512A1-E300-4A00-A25B-10DEFE659D3F.jpeg
    285.5 KB · Views: 582
Last edited:
The answer is all in the explanation. The soap dried onto the HOT black anodized surface. It literally cooked on it in the sun. The cooked soap, regardless of PH, is now a thin layer of product sitting on top of the colored metal which is refracting light and causing the rainbow effect. The OP's description of being able to remove it with additional water and soap indicates the product is removed. PH would cause damage and would not remove with soap and water.

I would not blame the soap, the PH or anything else outside of the technique of washing a car in hot sun and failing to remove the soap before it cooked on the surface of the metal.

Thanks to everyone for sharing their brands that they have used! Very helpful!

Was it Rain-X concentrated car wash by any chance? I experience the same issue going through a touchless car wash for a rinse off. I immediately blamed the car wash and then Tesla thinking it was a defective trim finish. Prior to that I did maybe one self-wash using the Rain-X stuff and a foam cannon. Tesla blamed the car wash for using high PH. The car wash blamed Tesla's 'new' black trim finish as being defective. Only now am I wondering about my choice in car wash soap.