Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

cleaning bugs on grille area

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've got some bits of bugs stuck onto the grille area from a recent highway trip. Touchless wash did not get them off, so it's time to escalate the battle. I tried pointing a flowing garden hose over a spot while I wiped gently with a microfiber towel; and also clean bare fingertips. That removed some, but not all.

I'm wondering if my next step should be to try a mild abrasive, either Megiuar's Scratch-X (fine) or Turle Wax... or try a clay bar. Or go to chemicals first, like Megiuar's Bug&Tar.

I pretreat with Bug & Tar gel spray and let it sit for five minutes before washing (touchless or by hand). Softens the dried bits and can be cleaned easier. The front bumper is just a big bug catcher that tends to be the dirtiest part of the car over time...until winter.

I've got some bits of bugs stuck onto the grille area from a recent highway trip. Touchless wash did not get them off, so it's time to escalate the battle. I tried pointing a flowing garden hose over a spot while I wiped gently with a microfiber towel; and also clean bare fingertips. That removed some, but not all.

I'm wondering if my next step should be to try a mild abrasive, either Megiuar's Scratch-X (fine) or Turle Wax... or try a clay bar. Or go to chemicals first, like Megiuar's Bug&Tar.
I use a wet fabric softener sheet. Worked 100% of the time with no pressure, just repeated gentle wiping. I used it on white paint, not sure if would leave visible microscratches on darker paints - just use plenty of water.

Once you get the bugs off, I highly recommend using The Griot‘s Garage Ceramic 3-in-1 Wax (twice a year), Ceramic Wash & Coat, and Ceramic Speed Shine to make it easier to keep your car clean. i get dozens of bugs on the front of my car during highway trips to the lake, and they all come off easily with a wash mitt or towel. Super easy for the casual user to successfully apply and get great results.

When I get bug build up, I take a few paper towels and soak them in my favorite no-rinse waterless car wash spray. Stick the wet towels onto the area, and let them dwell for a few minutes. Then simply wipe off the mess. It helps to have ceramic coating as well...

• Informative
Reactions: Mike_TV