Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cleaning dash and door panels help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My door panels are all scuffed up bc I keep kicking it when getting out (garage is tight) and noticed there are marks on my dash. I tried wiping it with micro fibre cloth and water very gently ... don’t want to risk scratching it but it’s not coming off. Any advice? Wondering if armor all or 303 aero will work.

also noticed there’s some sort of bubble on the fabric on the side panels. Any advice on how to fix that? I picked this car up 2 months ago

Attachments

• 18EB90CD-9CE2-405C-8AE9-CB1A97BD6480.jpeg
    18EB90CD-9CE2-405C-8AE9-CB1A97BD6480.jpeg
    377.4 KB · Views: 300
  • 2DCFE8E7-DEE1-4153-9EF2-7500415CB53B.jpeg
    2DCFE8E7-DEE1-4153-9EF2-7500415CB53B.jpeg
    435.6 KB · Views: 216
  • 7DC54551-7D9F-430D-82FB-6CB195F9C6D7.jpeg
    7DC54551-7D9F-430D-82FB-6CB195F9C6D7.jpeg
    155.7 KB · Views: 213
Just use an all purpose cleaner (APC is the term commonly used in the detailing world.)

Meguiar's D101 is commonly used, otherwise greenpower APC and Opticlean are also extremely popular APCs.

For protecting, not too sure... Has anyone tried using chemical guys VRP after cleaning on the dash and inner door panels?

Reactions: joebruin77
Just use an all purpose cleaner (APC is the term commonly used in the detailing world.)

Meguiar's D101 is commonly used, otherwise greenpower APC and Opticlean are also extremely popular APCs.

For protecting, not too sure... Has anyone tried using chemical guys VRP after cleaning on the dash and inner door panels?

I agree with the recommendation to use an APC. I personally have used both Meguiars APC as well as Optimum's Powerclean on interiors and they work really well. Just be sure to use at the proper dilution ratio. I think for Meguiars the dilution ratio for interior panels is 10:1. If it is really soiled, then you can use 4:1. For Optimum Powerclean, I believe the standard ratio is 3:1. Just check the directions on the bottle to make sure.

With rare exceptions, I would not use APC on the leather seats, especially at the stronger dilution ratios. But you should be fine to use APC on the door panels.

Reactions: JasontheBeaver
I've used VRP before on the interior but find it too greasy and glossy for my taste. Better used on exterior plastic and rubber surfaces. For interiors I prefer Optimum's Protectant Plus (formally Leather Protectant). It works on all interior leather/vinyl/plastic surfaces. It also has a mild leather scent that lasts for maybe 24 hrs after application. It's both a mild cleaner and protectant with UV inhibitors. It costs more (per volume) than some others but very little product is required. I apply one spray to my microfiber applicator to cover half the dash (approx 3 sq ft per spray).
For Optimum Powerclean, I believe the standard ratio is 3:1.
That is the dilution ratio I use for heavily soiled rims/tires using Power Clean. I would stick with no stronger than a 10:1 dilution ratio for interior use. Generally ONR at standard dilution ratio is all you need for cleaning most interior surfaces unless it is fabric/carpet where I use Optimum Carpet and Fabric Cleaner at standard dilution ratio of 3:1.

I've used VRP before on the interior but find it too greasy and glossy for my taste. Better used on exterior plastic and rubber surfaces. For interiors I prefer Optimum's Protectant Plus (formally Leather Protectant). It works on all interior leather/vinyl/plastic surfaces. It also has a mild leather scent that lasts for maybe 24 hrs after application. It's both a mild cleaner and protectant with UV inhibitors. It costs more (per volume) than some others but very little product is required. I apply one spray to my microfiber applicator to cover half the dash (approx 3 sq ft per spray).

That is the dilution ratio I use for heavily soiled rims/tires using Power Clean. I would stick with no stronger than a 10:1 dilution ratio for interior use. Generally ONR at standard dilution ratio is all you need for cleaning most interior surfaces unless it is fabric/carpet where I use Optimum Carpet and Fabric Cleaner at standard dilution ratio of 3:1.

Yep, my bad. 10:1 is for interiors and 3:1 is for exterior surfaces. I also agree to use ONR first to see if that would do the job. But make sure it is regular ONR and not ONR with wax. Once you get the interior clean, many people on TMC like to use 303 Protectant. I actually have found that Optimum OptiSeal is great for interior surfaces as a protectant. I have also used Meguiars D156 Synthetic Spray Wax as a protectant and Xtreme Solutions Jersey Devil as a cleaner/protectant in one.

Reactions: Mutant
Yep, my bad. 10:1 is for interiors and 3:1 is for exterior surfaces. I also agree to use ONR first to see if that would do the job. But make sure it is regular ONR and not ONR with wax. Once you get the interior clean, many people on TMC like to use 303 Protectant. I actually have found that Optimum OptiSeal is great for interior surfaces as a protectant. I have also used Meguiars D156 Synthetic Spray Wax as a protectant and Xtreme Solutions Jersey Devil as a cleaner/protectant in one.
ONR followed by light spray of Optiseal on interior windows performs miracles in terms of cleaning glass. Gets rid of the greasy residue build up from out gasing of the plastics on the interior. Always comes out streak free when using appropriate microfiber towel (typical use waffle weave).

I agree with the recommendation to use an APC.
For Optimum Powerclean, I believe the standard ratio is 3:1. Just check the directions on the bottle to make sure.
For interiors, I recommend mixing Opti-power Clean to 9:1 with water. This is safe to use on ANYTHING inside your Tesla without worrying about damaging anything.
However, I keep a bottle of ONR mixed 127:1 in my car at all times, and use it for quick wipe-downs inside. If that doesn't clean a really soiled area, then I whip out my Power Clean.
As the OP stated... very light pressure on those dashboards!

Reactions: joebruin77