TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Cleaning Fabric Wheel Wells

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by kevincwelch, Jun 1, 2015.

1. kevincwelch

kevincwelch Active Member

What are people doing to keep the rear wheel wells clean? I find that with the fabric there, it's very hard to keep clean. I have to pressure wash it to keep it decent, and the undercarriage sprays I have (CG, Griots), while doing a nice job with the front wells, don't work at all with the rear wheel wells. I thought about getting some rubberized coating to spray on the fabric, but I wasn't sure if that would turn into a big mess.

2. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

I agree, difficult to clean. How much is it to replace once you cant stand it anymore?

3. kuttakamina

kuttakamina Member

#3 kuttakamina, Jun 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
    Not a Tesla only issue unfortunately. A lot of cars are starting to use fabric wheel wells, they deaden sound, are cheaper, and lighter.
    And yes they are a PAIN to clean, esp in winters.

2 solutions (none are ideal.. but)

1. If you have air suspension, raise it to the highest setting and pressure wash.
    2. Coat with something like this - Johnson S C Inc 21806 Camp Dry Water Repellent Spray-CAMP DRY SPRAY - Walmart.com.

And unfortunately you do have to keep them clean or the crap will accumulate and eventually it might pull the wheel liner off.

I found these
    PART 1/3 - 'Wheel, Wheel Well and Tire Care' - How to clean a fabric wheel well liner
    PART 2/3 - 'Wheel, Wheel Well and Tire Care' - How to safely clean Model S wheels
    PART 3/3 - 'Wheel, Wheel Well and Tire Care' - How to clean and dress tires

4. docrice

docrice Member

That first link is great.

I've been using a self-serve wash bay where the pressurized soap-water is actually warm and makes for a relatively easy job of getting embedded dirt out. That said, in the Bay Area it's not like we have slushy snow-salt to contend with.

5. InternetDude

InternetDude Member