Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cleaning Grey Next Gen seats!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone. Really enjoying my Tesla and glad I chose the Grey seats. I have however noticed that some of the blue from my jeans is staining part of my drivers seat. Anyone else seen this and are there any recommendations of how to keep them clean?

Many thanks in advance.

• Informative
Reactions: duybile
Very common occurrence! I believe the term is "crocking". This is where the dye in pants will abrade into the top coat layer of the leather. I've had good success with Leatherique Prestine Clean to help in cleaning up this mess!

Often unknowing detailers or the owner will attempt to remove these unsightly dye transfers with chemical processes that are quite harsh for leather, or they will try abrasive means like “magic eraser” or good ole elbow grease. Some others will use heat and/or try to steam out the dye. All of these as your first attempt are much too aggressive, and in fact they are likely a means of setting the dye into the hide.

About 90% of all automotive leathers are Urethane coated, some times called top coated leather. If you are unsure a simple scratch test will help. Take your finger nail and gently gently scrape the hide. If the hide changes color then it’s likely NOT top coated. Urethane coated leathers have a slight to very “plastic” feel to them. Prestine Clean will work fine coated or not.

Megualres All Purpose Cleaner D10101 in a 1:10 dilution worked fantastically well for me recently. I sprayed it on and wiped it off with a microfiber cloth. I learned about this stuff in an online detailing forum, bought a gallon (It is a concentrate and you dilute it however you'd like) and made up 2 spray bottles. One at 1:10 diluted with water for most of the interior cleaning, and another at 1:4 for cleaning my wheels and floor mats. I suggest you google and you tube about this stuff, I think you'll really like it.

• Informative
Reactions: David29