Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cleaning Inside near rear of door?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SabrToothSqrl

Dec 5, 2014
PA
How is everyone cleaning this part that seems to be really dirty for unknown reasons...

thanks!

Car Inside.jpg

Has anyone asked a service center what to use? Is it from windows or getting in/out of the car? Seems like it should be a harder plastic so I could just wipe it off... something you don't learn until you get a few thousand on the road for a few years...

It actually looks worse in person than in the photo... I would like to clean it up...

I like this stuff:
Amazon.com: Sonax (321200-755) Upholstery and Carpet Cleaner - 16.9 fl. oz.: Automotive
A buddy turned me on to it when he cleaned his wife's Subaru wagon with light colored interior for the first time at 125K miles. It looked disgusting before and he used a whole bottle but it came out looking better than I would have ever imagined.

I had some similar stains in my Tesla, and I used this to clean them. Not sure what they are from, dirty service tech? Me getting in and out? Not sure, but it worked well.

Per SC:

"
I was told by our detailer that he uses Wurth Active Clean. You spray it on, let it sit a minute & then lightly scrub with a rag. If you are not able to get that, he said Oxy Clean should work as well.

He recommended that you just make sure you read the precautions and test a small before doing the entire thing.

Hope it works!"

that Wurth Active Clean shows as $30 a can on eBay?! Seriously?!

Results

Found this for $5 online.

After shots.
cleaner.jpg
after.jpg
rag.jpg

This rag was yellow and clean. This is the black that came off of it.

I'm pretty happy w/the results. took a lot of elbow grease. I'm going to wash the rag and go at it again a final time. I've never used this cleaner before, but seems like it worked. the area remained wet for a while after, but did dry after a few hours. At first it really just pushed the black around, but enough scrubbing removed the majority of it.

Seems like a design flaw to have a 'carpet/cloth' like surface here. Should just be a hard plastic like most cars so it doesn't collect dirt, but that's just nit picking an otherwise pretty kick ass car.

FYI; it says DO NOT USE ON LEATHER. so don't do that.