TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Cleaning Inside near rear of door?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by SabrToothSqrl, Aug 26, 2015.

1. SabrToothSqrl

SabrToothSqrl Active Member

How is everyone cleaning this part that seems to be really dirty for unknown reasons...

thanks!

Car Inside.jpg

2. Father Bill

Father Bill Member

I would use something like oxy clean, or maybe an instant spot remover stick. With the textile nature of that covering it should respond to one of those I think. Let us know what you do.

Pax,

3. MoeMistry

MoeMistry Local Vendor - SoCal

Autoglym interior shampoo...will work like a charm and it can be sued on alcantara and carpets as well.

4. FLDarren

FLDarren Member

Mine is dirty in the same spot. C pillars as well. I think its from the windows being open. My last car was like that as well. Definitely let us know what u use and if it works.

5. SabrToothSqrl

Has anyone asked a service center what to use? Is it from windows or getting in/out of the car? Seems like it should be a harder plastic so I could just wipe it off... something you don't learn until you get a few thousand on the road for a few years...

It actually looks worse in person than in the photo... I would like to clean it up...

6. stevem

stevem Member

I like this stuff:
    Amazon.com: Sonax (321200-755) Upholstery and Carpet Cleaner - 16.9 fl. oz.: Automotive
    A buddy turned me on to it when he cleaned his wife's Subaru wagon with light colored interior for the first time at 125K miles. It looked disgusting before and he used a whole bottle but it came out looking better than I would have ever imagined.

I had some similar stains in my Tesla, and I used this to clean them. Not sure what they are from, dirty service tech? Me getting in and out? Not sure, but it worked well.

7. SabrToothSqrl

Per SC:

"
    I was told by our detailer that he uses Wurth Active Clean. You spray it on, let it sit a minute & then lightly scrub with a rag. If you are not able to get that, he said Oxy Clean should work as well.

He recommended that you just make sure you read the precautions and test a small before doing the entire thing.

Hope it works!"

that Wurth Active Clean shows as $30 a can on eBay?! Seriously?!

8. SabrToothSqrl

Results

Found this for $5 online.

After shots.
    cleaner.jpg after.jpg rag.jpg

This rag was yellow and clean. This is the black that came off of it.

I'm pretty happy w/the results. took a lot of elbow grease. I'm going to wash the rag and go at it again a final time. I've never used this cleaner before, but seems like it worked. the area remained wet for a while after, but did dry after a few hours. At first it really just pushed the black around, but enough scrubbing removed the majority of it.

Seems like a design flaw to have a 'carpet/cloth' like surface here. Should just be a hard plastic like most cars so it doesn't collect dirt, but that's just nit picking an otherwise pretty kick ass car.

FYI; it says DO NOT USE ON LEATHER. so don't do that.

9. Father Bill

Father Bill Member

Looks Good, I am glad you found something that worked.

Pax,

Father Bill