TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Cleaning inside trim

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by ny888, Jul 22, 2015.

1. ny888

ny888 Member

What is everyone using to clean the inside trim pieces? I'm having issues with oily streaks on the smooth surfaces on the door sides. They are black (plastic?). I've used Poorboys Trim Restorer and 303 Aerospace and both leave streaks.

2. ChadS

ChadS Petroleum is for sissies

I've had pretty good luck with Meguiar's Interior Detailer.

At the local delivery center, the detailers use Oxyclean on almost any type of stain on the interior.

• Like x 1
  3. Jean-Claude

Jean-Claude Local Vendor - Southeast

Without knowing more about exactly what you're doing, I can offer this.

Use multiple towels when cleaning or conditioning interior surfaces. Do not spray to the surface, spray to your cleaning media(towel/brush/ext.). Use a secondary towel for a dry-buffing to remove excessive residue.

If you're doing a heavy cleaning phase, use a secondary towel with distilled water to flush the surface free of residue before conditioning.

4. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

+1 definitely.

I use Griot's interior cleaner and have had no issues at all. I have also used 40% vinegar, 50% DI water and 10% 90% (or 70%) IPA. This is my go-to glass cleaner. Works quite well, but I got worried about acidity, so I went back to Griot's. Seems to leave no residue at all and works quite well. I always only dampen the MF towel and use a dry-off towel to buff immediately. I then follow with the appropriate conditioner after fully dried.

PS: black shiny plastic is just about the worst there is for cleaning, buffing and getting that perfect look.

5. stevem

stevem Member

I like Sonaz Dashboard Cleaner (Matte finish). No streaks. I have 303 and it's not like that or armor all. Worth trying IMHO.

6. Andrew Wolfe

Andrew Wolfe Roadster 472 - S 440

I just use SimpleGreen and water. Works fine. I periodically use a UV protectant from Megulars.

7. caps04

caps04 Member

My primary concern cleaning the leather interiors is to not dull or fade the bright white stitching. Any ideas on how to prevent that and still clean the door trims, center console sidewalls, etc?

8. stevem

stevem Member

Leather interior I would use Lexol leather cleaner (and conditioner) I don't think it would darken stitching. My stitching is black and so is my interior. But I would guess that stuff would be fine.

9. Jean-Claude

Jean-Claude Local Vendor - Southeast

For light vinyl cleaning and conditioning, try 1Z Einszett Cockpit Premium.

For light leather cleaning, try Leather Master's soft cleaner and then condition with Vital.

One of my favorite conditioners for leather is Swissvax Leather Milk but it comes at a premium. Deal hunters need not apply for Leather Milk.

10. caps04

caps04 Member

I have black interiors too but there are places with white stitching. I tested my cleaner on a small area and it darkened it :( so I am now avoiding those areas.

11. stevem

stevem Member

Lexol did this? Or what was the brand and type of that cleaner?

12. Soundchasr

Soundchasr Member

Are the doors covered in vinyl, plastic or leather?

13. travwill

travwill Member

Any updates on advice to clean the wite stitching? Have the white seats which seem great but have noticed white stitching on armrest is dirty likely from hands in past (inventory model)...

• Like x 1