Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cleaning kit for time @ SC

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

C_A_Braun

Meet "Voodoo", Our S75 & "Solo Cup", Our Model 3
Jul 19, 2016
So Cal / So Nev
Does anyone carry a cleaning kit of any sort for polishing up your car while sitting at super charger?

I am thinking of putting together a kit to keep in the frunk and looking for ideas on what I should carry in it? A few sizes of different microfiber towels. Windshield cleaner. Wheel cleaner/polish. Q-Tips (for the vents). What sort of spray solution for the paint to clean up dirt or bugs/bird crap etc?

What else do you carry to keep your baby looking good on the highways?

Sorry, I don't have a suggestion for products to add, but I think your suggestion is a great idea. It also got me thinking....what if some quick detailers began setting up a "mobile" detailing service right there at the SpC? Depending on the location, it could probably be very successful.

Reactions: fallen888
+1 on the waterless car wash solution. There are kits online that come with a spray bottle and instructions on creating your own solution/mix or pre-mixed. A spray bottle, a few microfiber towels, and you can "wash" entire exterior while charging if so desired.

Last edited:
+1 on the waterless wash and a bunch of microfiber.

My only concern is I normally use the waterless wash in my garage, out of the sunlight.
Parking at SC, and using this mean it'd dry out fast in the sun, particularly if the car is hot.

+1 on the waterless wash and a bunch of microfiber.

My only concern is I normally use the waterless wash in my garage, out of the sunlight.
Parking at SC, and using this mean it'd dry out fast in the sun, particularly if the car is hot.

Theres definitely some stuff that you shouldn't use in sunlight as stated in the instructions. Other stuff is ok to use in direct sunlight. You might just need to saturate a little more if its really hot out. I have yet to have a problem with this method. If your planning on doing some quick maintaining while charging, I would definitely look at the uses before buying.

Great idea!

I would carry the following;

- California Duster
- Waterless Car Wash solution
- several microfiber cloths
- bug remover
- spray bottle of water for rinsing bug remover
- tire shine
- interior cleaner
- mini-vac

All of that would easily fit into a nice Rubbermaid tub in the frunk so you don't get any products spilling on to the frunk floor.

I've tried waterless washes in direct sunlight and you have to spend a lot more time as it dries very quickly so you can only do a small section at a time. In shade it is awesome!

Reactions: C_A_Braun
I have put a wet, soapy sponge in triple ziplock bags and have a water bottle filled with just tap water and use it to clean the bugs off my nosecone and front licence plate, and front lights. Soap it up and rinse it off and dry with micro fiber clothes. Windex and micro clothes are always with me to keep window and panoramic roof clean. One benefit of the pano roof is, that a little windex can clean a large % of the total car. :)

I also use waterless wash. I get it through CarPro. They are awesome.

I carry a limited amount of exterior care stuff in my Frunk: MF towels (for different needs), window cleaner, waterless wash, California Duster. I never, ever waterless wash without a nice, gentle and thorough dusting to remove the scratchies.

I carry just enough to have her look good. Home is a whole other story.

IMO all those waterless products freak me out... paint is quite easy to scratch especially when dirty and your wiping that dirt / particles over its surface creating micro scratches. Honestly I detail my car at the supercharger but thats only because I had my whole car wrapped in paint protective film + The film heals the surface of any imperfections when its in the sun / heat... thus I can just wipe the bugs off on a road trip or fully detail my car with out water or concern of damaging the paint... If your wondering what brand PPF I used it was 3M Scotch Guard Pro

View media item 115384

Reactions: DÆrik and DrGuest
We went on a 2300 mile road trip a few weeks ago - stopping at multiple SC's over 4 days of driving.

We actually didn't spend much time sitting at the superchargers, waiting for the car to charge. Most of the time, we'd take a short walk to use the restroom and get something to drink. And for some of the stops, we took longer breaks to get a meal (and let the car charge more while we were eating).

And when in the few times we ended up sitting in the car waiting for the target charge level, it was nice to just relax for a few minutes.

On the road trip - the only items we brought were window cleaner, paper towels, and a tire pump. At most of the SC stops, we would do cleaning pass on the windshield. Not sure if there would have been much benefit in doing anything else, because once we hit the road again, we'd get another round of bugs smashed on the front of the car...