Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cleaning Model 3 Glass

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The first time I washed my model 3 I noticed the glass seemed to grow streaks within hours of careful cleaning. Thinking this was just some initial film or manufacturing contaminant on the windows I just kept wiping them down every day or so. Was odd because it was garaged when not in use.

After 5000 miles I did a little research and found this was an issue on a some luxury cars and detailers recommended always finishing with windshield glass cloths. I have had a jaguar and several BMWs and haven’t had this problem before but figured I would give them a try while we are isolating on top of a very dusty mountain :).

Found that anything searched for on amazon that is automotive associated won’t ship until after April 21 (covid rules). However, I was able to find a 12 pack of mr siga ultra fine microfiber cloths for glass on amazon under kitchenware (which is considered essential I guess as it had 2 day delivery.) These large cloths worked absolutely great on the car glass. Also work great on the touchscreen (I have a tempered glass protector on it). On the windows, basically damp microfiber wash and then the mr siga cloths for final dry wipe. No lint or streaks so far.

After using quite a few glass cleaners, I noticed something similar. The only one that did not leave any residue or streaks and cleaned really well was Sprayway glass cleaner. Give it a try and see if you still get streaks. Many times I wipe with paper towels instead of microfiber exactly because of this.

6,000 miles in and I still have a hazy after washing windows... the only thing that seems to leave them crystal clear is if I was the whole car using a car shampoo and the rise the car and allow it to air dry. (Either from a touchless automatic which has “spot free rinse” or when using my DI system I bought for home washes.)

As soon as I put anything physically on the glass, paper towel, microfiber (plush, standard, glass, waffle weave, etc) it leaves the finish hazed you where if you run your finger by it’ll leave a clear streak or mark... it so very odd.

I should note, I ended up ceramic coating all the glass after my last wash with chemical guys hydro charge and we’ll see if I can clean them in a normal manner now. (I know hydro charge says only on painted surfaces, but it seems perfectly fine on the glass. Crystal clear and no issues with the AP cameras...)

I wash my car including the glass. Then clean the glass with a glass cleaner. I happen to like Meguiars. Then, here is my secret. I take small cotton hand towel and soak it with just water. Wipe the glass a section at a time and dry with another cotton towel until the glass is slippery smooth. No streaks from the cleaner.