Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cleaning Off Dead Insects

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
https://www.amazon.com/MEGUIARS-D15...ocphy=1016367&hvtargid=pla-335971445692&psc=1

Just get some of this and spray it down, they come right off after you start using it, also to remove them or tar or just about anything us WD-40 that will take off anything with no ill effect

This is one of my all-time favorite car detailing products. It is basically a professional version of Meguiars Ultimate Quick Wax. I have never used it to remove bugs, but it is a great spray wax and makes a great drying aid. Plus the scent is truly addictive - I love the scent.

Reactions: nametaken
PPF and/or ceramic coatings also make this much easier. Bugs come right off and more importantly their guts dont have a chance to discolor your paint or eat through the clearcoat and their exoskeletons will not pit the paint on impact.

Saran wrap sounds like a great idea.
Yes, I noticed that with my car compared to wife's car. That is not the reason I got the PPF, but a nice benefit. I also like the Saran Wrap idea. Cheaper than PPF but I guess it is no so good for rocks :)

Reactions: FlyF4
Yes, I noticed that with my car compared to wife's car. That is not the reason I got the PPF, but a nice benefit. I also like the Saran Wrap idea. Cheaper than PPF but I guess it is no so good for rocks :)

For those who like the idea of PPF (or saran wrap), here is another option from Xpel. This is a temporary PPF designed for those who want to protect their car before heading to the track. You could apply it before you head out on your road trip and remove it when you get home. It is not as expensive as regular PPF and offers more protection than saran wrap:

The best part of real PPF is that I just spray cleaner on the front and wipe away after a day of driving and completely unafraid of scratching the paint as the PPF self heals. XPEL should come standard on cars.

I totally agree with you that real PPF is an amazing product. It is the only form of protection that has self-healing properties. That said, not everyone wants to pay the $$$ that PPF can cost. So IMO it is best as an option. If every car came with it, it would raise the sticker price and not everyone would want to pay that. Some people are content with an $8 bottle of Turtle Wax Seal and Shine and I respect that. This coming from a guy who spent $5K on a whole-car Xpel PPF.

When I'm on a road trip I ask the motel/hotel where I'm staying for a couple clean rags. One wet then wrung out, the other dry. The wet softens and removes the bugs then the dry cleans up the residue. I picked up this trick from doing this on motorcycle multi-day trips. Hotels would always prefer giving you a clean rag to having you use one of their good towels from the room. Hence their motivation to provide these.

Doing this daily means the bugs aren't having too long to bake into the surfaces of your car.

Just finished 2500 miles on a road trip. I cleaned bugs off once a day with microfiber and detail spray. Then washed the car at a self wash car wash. Takes only a few minutes each day and easy. Note I have 303 nano Graphene coating on the car as well. Pic from yesterday.

Attachments

• PXL_20210428_001157756~2.jpg
    PXL_20210428_001157756~2.jpg
    603.5 KB · Views: 172
PPF for me - then scrub it with a Brillo pad (just kidding, speed clay, clay bar or magic eraser if it's really bad). Having the PPF on is freeing to get rid of bugs and guts using methods I would not do on paint. The M3 is a total bug magnet up front.

My conclusion was the Maguiar’s didn’t last as well as the Adam’s or Hydrosilex. I think the Hydrosilex and Adam’s were easier to apply and the Hydrosilex edged out Adam’s in lasting power and ease of removing road tar and bugs. I reordered Hydrosilex for this year’s autumnal ceramic waxing.

I recently found a product called Citrol. Several times better than others I've tried. Almost perfect.

Citrol is an amazing, powerful cleaner. But just be aware it will definitely strip any wax or sealant you have on your paint. A lot of youtube detailers who test sealants and waxes refer to Citrol as the "sealant killer" because apparently no sealants on the market can fight it off.

Citrol is an amazing, powerful cleaner. But just be aware it will definitely strip any wax or sealant you have on your paint. A lot of youtube detailers who test sealants and waxes refer to Citrol as the "sealant killer" because apparently no sealants on the market can fight it off.
Thanks for that info.

I only clean the car with foam gun car wash and Optimum No Rinse, so I should be in the clear, right?

Thanks for that info.

I only clean the car with foam gun car wash and Optimum No Rinse, so I should be in the clear, right?

I have not personally used Citrol, so I can't speak from personal experience. But if you wash the car with either a traditional soap or with ONR and do not apply a wax or sealant, then Citrol won't harm anything. However, that also means your paint is not protected by a wax or sealant.

What I would recommend is that you wash and decontaminate the paint and then apply a sealant to protect the paint. If you get bugs on the paint, they should come off easier with the sealant underneath. And if you still need to use something like Citrol to get the bugs off, that is fine. Just remember to reapply the sealant after you have cleaned off the bugs.