Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cleaning Panels Difference

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the company that cleans my windows also clean the solar panels, which works out to be once a year. Mostly because they are here, they do a great job on my windows, and have also been cleaning solar panels for more than a decade.

They dont use any soap at all, just deionized water and a brush. I would be hesitant to use any actual soap or detergent type thing on them, if it were me. When I asked the owner of the business I have clean the windows / panels "why no soap?" he said, "you dont want any sort of residue on them, and its not necessary, just deionized water, a long handled brush, and some care in cleaning them is needed."

YMMV of course.
The people I had clean my solar roof also just used a DI system and brushes. They came very clean where they could reach.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
I've got a bit of an extreme situation this past month, as we have a couple of small backhoes and bulldozers working around our yard and driveway as we re-do our landscaping and hardscape. As a result, the half of my array on that side of the house has been coated daily with lots of airborne dirt/dust, while the other half of my array on the other end of the house away from the construction is still relatively clean. Both are the same south-facing orientation.

A year ago, each 250W panel was producing about 1 to 1.1 kwh over the day, slightly varying due to different morning and afternoon shading, and slight temp differences from the end panels to the interior panels. Yesterday, the most dusty panels closest to the work only produced about 0.75 kwh each; the clean panels on the other side were fairly unchanged from a year ago. So I've lost about 25-30% on the most dusty panels - but I'm actually somewhat impressed the dirty panels are still getting 70-75% production, being so visibly coated in brown dirt/dust.

Anyways, tempted to go up and blow a lot of the dust off, as I have to do on my deck nearby; but the work will all be done in another few weeks, and will give them a good washing after that....

Reactions: BGbreeder
So, I attempted to clean part of my panels last evening. I used the water fed extended cleaning brush pole with soft water. I didn't go on roof, just cleaned from ground and on the ladder. I noticed this morning that not all streaks, dust were removed.

I will have to go onto roof to do more brushing. May be use this cleaning solution will help?

I don't want to use harsh chemicals that might damage the coating.

I think I put this earlier in the thread, but I am fairly sure that any professional that cleans solar panels does not use cleaning solutions. They use deionized water. I personally wouldnt use anything but water, but I also am not going up there myself.
The people we used had a multi-cartridge filter that was connected to a hose which pushed the DI water to the roof. It was similar to this one. The unit was on the ground, and they used ladders to get even with the second story roof. At no time did they step on the roof.

• Informative
Reactions: KHYE and jjrandorin
I think I put this earlier in the thread, but I am fairly sure that any professional that cleans solar panels does not use cleaning solutions. They use deionized water. I personally wouldnt use anything but water, but I also am not going up there myself.
Thanks jjrandorin,

I'll try DI water on my waiting stack of panels on the ground, they get even dirtier since they collect the dew and it has no where to drain.

Rinsed panels again last weekend, this time with hose connected to a tap water bib at front of house, got a lot more pressure up to the second story roof, (100ft 3/4in hose) alternated between the shower and flooding nozzles.

Similar to last year, production had dropped to 44-47KWh/day, rose back up to 55-59KWh/day after with almost similar conditions, mid 90s F. Compare with April with cool and clean panels generating over 65KWh/day.

Here's production numbers before and after cleaning of my 8.16kW panels via Hurricane Hilary, similar temp low 90F. So about 5-6% difference.

Before:
IMG_9399.jpeg

IMG_9400.jpeg

After:
IMG_9401.jpeg

IMG_9402.jpeg

Reactions: Matt-FL
Here's production numbers before and after cleaning of my 8.16kW panels via Hurricane Hilary, similar temp low 90F. So about 5-6% difference.

Nit, but you're not accounting for the expected drop in production between 8/17 and 8/23. I wouldn't be surprised if that adds a few more % difference -- based on PVWatts estimates for south-facing panels in LA, there's a 12% ~9% drop between Aug and Sep, so assuming a linear drop that's 3% ~2% a week.

Edit: Sep also has 3% fewer days than Aug, statistics is fun.

Last edited:
I've got a one-story rambler house with a low pitch roof. Easy enough to get up there and clean panels. I probably do it twice a year, if they look like they need it. Takes about an hour, 51 panels to clean. I was using two buckets and a long pole microfiber mop, but I've ordered a water-fed brush pole.

I only use water. Two buckets - one clean, one wash-dirty.

I live on a hill where it's breezy and the panels get a dust film pretty quickly from overnight dew deposition, but my improvement this year after the simple rinsing were nearly the same as last year. Wasn't really a chore since I only rinsed them. They still had that matte look afterwards but it was no longer that brown muddy color. After a bunch of rain, they were smooth again, and I could see the same for some of the panels for the houses down the hill.

What was also noticeable was that measurable production from my 4 panels that were on the side of the house facing the setting sun reached zero around 6pm when dirty, still producing 0.1 KW well after 7:30pm after rinsing.