TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Cleaning Pano Roof

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Frankman60, Jul 4, 2016.

1. Frankman60

Frankman60 Member

I have been wondering the best way to clean the pano roof on my new MS when I get it. I was planning on using standard glass cleaner on the glass panels, but what about the black panel in front of the movable glass (right behind the windshield) and the panels on the sides? They are black, like the glass panels, but they look like they are painted metal. Do you use glass cleaner on these black roof panels too or do you treat them like the rest of the painted body panels on the car and use more mild cleaners?

2. TampaRich

TampaRich Member

Mine was Opticoated when the rest of my car was done, so I clean it the same way I wash the car. I'd be interested in knowing what owners use to clean the rubber seals.

3. rrooster

rrooster New Member

I treat the outside of the glass sunroof the same as the car paint. For the inside of the sunroof, I use auto-glass cleaner. For the seals, I use AutoGlym Vinyl & Rubber care... actually, I use their whole product line to detail our ModelS, and am very happy with it. AmmoNYC (unfortunate name) also seems to make nice products, though I've not tried them yet—Their videos on youtube certainly are very informative and well done.

Regarding the black band between the windscreen and the sunroof, I'm not sure what the material is, but it is NOT glass, I believe it is made of the same material as the nosecone of the ModelS v.1.

What I would like to know is, is the material the same colour all the way through, and polished to the shiny black finish, or is it painted? I need to polish out a small scratch, but am not certain how to approach it.

4. GTIceman

GTIceman Member

For all my cars I use this Nextzett Rubber Care Stick Gummi Pflege, gummi pflege for my rubber to keep it pliable and from drying out. It works great for me and thicker than many other solutions.

5. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

Which is to say that they're plastic. ;)