Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cleaning the center screen...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

FlasherZ

Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv
Jun 21, 2012
I may be a bit dense here, but I can't find an easy way to clean the touchscreen other than to issue the reboot sequence, then quickly clean it while it's shut down.

I tried using the "power off" button -- which tells you to step on the brake to turn the car back on -- but the touchscreen is still active and touching anywhere on it turns the screen back on... and all the surfaces work.

I suppose I could wear rubber gloves?

Did I miss a trick here?

Why can't you clean the screen while its on? What's gonna happen?
GlobalThermonuclearWar.jpg

It popped the frunk, made the trunk open and close about 3 times, called up 4 different apps, etc.

I posted on this in the ownership experience thread probably a month ago. I had the same problem, and my DS had a great solution. If you are using a microfiber lens wipe (like something you would use for eyeglasses), just fold it over twice and voila! It doesn't set off the sensors in the touchscreen! I keep one in my cubby and every few days just wipe it down at a red light or something. I just did it today and it worked without a problem.

While we are on the topic, I once read an article on Gizmodo about a microfiber cloth that was significantly better than others for cleaning screens. I was skeptical of the source, but I bought one anyway, just to try it out. They are truly phenomenal for cleaning iPad and iPhone screens, and I already bought a spare set for cleaning the Model S 17" screen acreage. I have no affiliation with this company or its product, but I can vouch that it works better than any other microfiber cloth I have used, to the point of appearing magical. Here is the article and the direct Amazon link:

The Overhyped, Dumbly Named, Completely Awesome Microfiber Cloth

Amazon.com: Cloth Addiction Microfiber Screen Cleaning Cloth 2-pack: Computers Accessories

It is also nice and large, which means you can fold it over as described above, to prevent it from activating things on the screen.

Someone also suggested using your knuckle to touch with. Is that working for anybody?

My DS also recommended this for the touch screen and the door handles. It's supposed to avoid the oils on the fingertips from dirtying the screen and handles. I must be quite oily because I apparently have oil coming out of my knuckles! It does no good on the door handles, and makes the touch screen too difficult for me.

I agree as well.

I took a microfiber cloth and quadrupled it up, and it still triggered the touchscreen today. I think I'll have to do the touchscreen reboot and clean routine until a feature comes to allow cleaning.

I have not once triggered any functions on the touch screen while cleaning, and I do it at least once per day.
How? I use a really thick microfiber cloth. I have a few specifically for cleaning screens (we use them at the Genius Bars at Apple), and I will also use those nice big yellow ones that Costco sells in a 30 pack for $18.
Anyone in the bay area wants one, come and grab one (I have 27 in my trunk). Seriously...