TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Cleaning the center screen...

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by FlasherZ, Dec 8, 2012.

1. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

I may be a bit dense here, but I can't find an easy way to clean the touchscreen other than to issue the reboot sequence, then quickly clean it while it's shut down.

I tried using the "power off" button -- which tells you to step on the brake to turn the car back on -- but the touchscreen is still active and touching anywhere on it turns the screen back on... and all the surfaces work.

I suppose I could wear rubber gloves?

Did I miss a trick here?

2. goaliemanshark

Why can't you clean the screen while its on? What's gonna happen?

3. Jason S

Jason S Model S Sig Perf (P85)

I was convinced that the power off button did it for a while because I was cleaning with a microfiber cloth that wouldn't activate the screen.

So try a microfiber cloth rather than windex plus paper towel.

4. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

GlobalThermonuclearWar.jpg

5. FlasherZ

It popped the frunk, made the trunk open and close about 3 times, called up 4 different apps, etc.

6. Arnold Panz

Arnold Panz Model Sig 304, VIN 542

I posted on this in the ownership experience thread probably a month ago. I had the same problem, and my DS had a great solution. If you are using a microfiber lens wipe (like something you would use for eyeglasses), just fold it over twice and voila! It doesn't set off the sensors in the touchscreen! I keep one in my cubby and every few days just wipe it down at a red light or something. I just did it today and it worked without a problem.

7. Lynn005

Lynn005 Member

What if you leave the door open and then put your FOB outside of the range? For now I've left the plastic film that came on the screen at delivery. I'm thinking I'll keep it on as long as it doesn't yellow or get gross :mad:

8. goaliemanshark

Just cleaned it, managed to open up google, start the radio and vent the sunroof. No biggie. Was actually kind of fun!

9. JakeP

JakeP S P4996 / X P6028

While we are on the topic, I once read an article on Gizmodo about a microfiber cloth that was significantly better than others for cleaning screens. I was skeptical of the source, but I bought one anyway, just to try it out. They are truly phenomenal for cleaning iPad and iPhone screens, and I already bought a spare set for cleaning the Model S 17" screen acreage. I have no affiliation with this company or its product, but I can vouch that it works better than any other microfiber cloth I have used, to the point of appearing magical. Here is the article and the direct Amazon link:

The Overhyped, Dumbly Named, Completely Awesome Microfiber Cloth

Amazon.com: Cloth Addiction Microfiber Screen Cleaning Cloth 2-pack: Computers Accessories

It is also nice and large, which means you can fold it over as described above, to prevent it from activating things on the screen.

10. Jgdixon

Jgdixon Member

Someone also suggested using your knuckle to touch with. Is that working for anybody?

11. Arnold Panz

Arnold Panz Model Sig 304, VIN 542

My DS also recommended this for the touch screen and the door handles. It's supposed to avoid the oils on the fingertips from dirtying the screen and handles. I must be quite oily because I apparently have oil coming out of my knuckles! It does no good on the door handles, and makes the touch screen too difficult for me.

12. mcornwell

mcornwell Active Member

The LCD screens on our home thermostats (Honeywell?) have a "Clean" button which gives you 30 seconds to touch the screen without it responding to any input. Perhaps this could be added to the software.

13. napabill

napabill Active Member

+1 Agree.

14. FlasherZ

I agree as well.

I took a microfiber cloth and quadrupled it up, and it still triggered the touchscreen today. I think I'll have to do the touchscreen reboot and clean routine until a feature comes to allow cleaning.

15. ddenboer

ddenboer MODEL X #1770

I have not once triggered any functions on the touch screen while cleaning, and I do it at least once per day.
    How? I use a really thick microfiber cloth. I have a few specifically for cleaning screens (we use them at the Genius Bars at Apple), and I will also use those nice big yellow ones that Costco sells in a 30 pack for $18.
    Anyone in the bay area wants one, come and grab one (I have 27 in my trunk). Seriously...

16. Vlnprof

Vlnprof Member