Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cleaning the inside of the windshield

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Okay, I know this is a trivial question, but I'm curious. How do the car washing connoisseurs on this forum clean the inside of their windshields?

My usual strategy--with previous cars--was just to spray Windex on the inside of the windshield and wipe it off with something fairly lint-free. But this always leaves a bunch of ammonia overspray on the top of the dashboard.

Up until now, I've never had a car with a fancy enough interior to care. But the dash on my MS seems to be mostly made of suede, and spritzing it with ammonia regularly seems like a bad idea.

So what's the TMC-approved method?

I mix my own OCD formula and it works great: 30% vinegar, 10% IPA, 60% distilled water (all approx). I NEVER spray the windscreen-trashes the dash over time. I moisten a microfiber cloth and wipe it down with that, followed by a dry cloth. The cloths I use are scrupulously clean to begin with in order to avoid any oils, etc, from depositing on the screen. They are only used for the car windows. I do the process twice, wait, and buff with another clean cloth.

Yes, sounds obsessive, but I find that the screen stays clean for months because there is nothing for contaminates to stick to. I think I clean mine maybe 4x/yr. I hate cleaning my screen, which is why I came up with this routine.

If you are an ONR (optimum no rinse) user, wring out your wash towel very well. Wipe the inside of your windshield down and dry it with a quality waffle weave micro fiber. Then clean the rest of your interior glass including pano this way. You can also clean your 17" screen, dash, interior door panels and leather seats. Dry each area after cleaning.

I am OCD about having a clean windshield, particularly the inside. I get a non ammonia based window cleaner from the auto parts store that's safe for tinted windows. Two microfiber cleaning cloths. Spray into one cloth (outside the car) and then wipe down the interior of the windshield. Immediately follow up with the clean, dry cloth to take care of any residue and buff it dry. Do it in the shade or when the car is cool (not in direct sunlight) otherwise it makes streaking much more likely as everything dries on the window before you can wipe it dry.

I found this on another site and have been using it for a couple of years both on the auto and for glass in the house. About a quart of water and 2-3 drops of Dawn dish detergent. Dawn is extremely safe as it is used on wildlife that comes into contact with oil, does not streak, cuts through the film on the inside of the windshield. It was so simple that I was skeptical until the first time I tried it. Amazing.

Stoner makes a great window cleaner. So does Sonax and Duragloss.

The windshield is a pain, though. Use glass microfibers - one to apply the cleaner and do the initial wiping and another to buff the area.

For the area near the dash and vent, use a mop.

Stoner Invisible Glass Reach and Clean Microfiber Tool Mop | Free Shipping Available - Detailed Image

This is what I use and I love it. I often don't even spray any liquid, either -- just the fabric is enough to remove the film buildup.

I also just use two microfiber cloths, one damp cloth which I've sprayed with plain water, and the other to immediately wipe dry. This is how I also clean the pano roof and liftgate glass, using fresh pairs of cloths for each section.

If plain water doesn't cut through your filmy buildup, I like the idea that monbri mentions about putting a drop of Dawn dish detergent in with the water. Ammonia-free glass cleaner also works. I've found Windex leaves a streaky film of its own (likely the ammonia), so I don't use it.

First thing is to just spray the microfiber glass cleaning cloth, not the windshield. I have had good luch with Stoner, Meguiars, Nanolex and also Johnsons Baby shampoo mixed very small amount in water. On all accounts though, I spray my cloth, then clean the window. I use the cloudbuster glass cleaning cloths from CarPro for initial clean and then the Meguiars Ultimate wipes for final buffing.
Crystal clear and nothing on the dash.

HUMP