Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cleaning the leather -- what actually is leather here?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
interior.jpg

This is from the design studio. I am assuming everything that is tan is leather. But what about all the other items in the car? Are they different types of leather? Pleather? Vinyl?

This is from the design studio. I am assuming everything that is tan is leather. But what about all the other items in the car? Are they different types of leather? Pleather? Vinyl?

I have the tan interior as well, but in a non-Performance model. I'm not convinced anything other than the seats are leather, with the possible exception of the black dash top. The dash and door pieces feel like vinyl to me. The Performance models advertised "extensive leather throughout" as a distinguishing feature, and the doors and dash may very well be leather on those models. I didn't want or need the Performance drivetrain, but would have paid extra for the interior upgrades.

View attachment 20499

I'm quite sure only the seating surfaces are leather. The door and dash panels are some kind of plastic that's molded to look like leather. The use of leather on those kinds of surfaces makes no sense and very few if any manufacturers use leather in those places. The dash top is definitely not leather - constant exposure to the sun there make it a very bad choice for that surface.

Their specs page describes "Hand wrapped microfiber and synthetic leather interior surfaces". The options page mentions "Nappa leather seats...".
The "Extensive leather throughout" part is just vague enough for them to change their mind about what surfaces it refers to as one of those surprise mid-stream changes.

I'm guessing that most things other than the seats (and just maybe the arm rests) are going to be synthetic. I'm also guessing that most synthetic leather will do just fine if you use products on it that were intended for actual leather. Otherwise, there would be more warnings buried among the fine print in the manual.