Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cleaning the windshield

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I picked up my car the windshield seemed clean.
However, maybe a few weeks later I noticed what look like suction cup marks...a couple of squares about 2"x 2" and a round one. At least one on the back as well.

These only show up when there is some condensation or odd low sun in the evening. During bright sun they are invisible.
Of course one is right at eye level, driver's side.
I wiped them with a soft rag when there was condensation (a few times) and they went away...only to come back when I get more condensation.
I tried cleaning with Windex-like cleaner -- looks perfect, but then the marks show up again later.

I'm thinking of trying a stronger cleaner, such as a white paste window cleaner (like a soft toothpaste).
Any harm in doing this?
What else would be good to try?
Anyone else seen this?

Reactions: alseTrick
When I picked up my car the windshield seemed clean.
However, maybe a few weeks later I noticed what look like suction cup marks...a couple of squares about 2"x 2" and a round one. At least one on the back as well.

These only show up when there is some condensation or odd low sun in the evening. During bright sun they are invisible.
Of course one is right at eye level, driver's side.
I wiped them with a soft rag when there was condensation (a few times) and they went away...only to come back when I get more condensation.
I tried cleaning with Windex-like cleaner -- looks perfect, but then the marks show up again later.

I'm thinking of trying a stronger cleaner, such as a white paste window cleaner (like a soft toothpaste).
Any harm in doing this?
What else would be good to try?
Anyone else seen this?

The windshield may have a hydrophobic coating and the suction cups removed it in spots, which would not hurt anything, really.
Using the paste or solvents like alcohol or lacquer thinner will take off the coating as well and may make the spots bigger.

I use Rejex on my windows' exterior (as well as the paint), as it does not make the windshield wipers chatter like Rain-X. Try that on the spots to restore the coating.

Try 0000 steel wool. Seriously. Make sure it’s 0000 steel wool though, anything harsher than that will scratch the glass. Search YouTube, plenty of videos on using it to clean and polish the glass. I’ve used it on the glass on my own 3 with good results.

Try 0000 steel wool. Seriously. Make sure it’s 0000 steel wool though, anything harsher than that will scratch the glass. Search YouTube, plenty of videos on using it to clean and polish the glass. I’ve used it on the glass on my own 3 with good results.

I've used 0000 steel wool on other car windshields before...but not when new.
I'm worried there is some coating

The windshield may have a hydrophobic coating and the suction cups removed it in spots, which would not hurt anything, really.
Using the paste or solvents like alcohol or lacquer thinner will take off the coating as well and may make the spots bigger.

I use Rejex on my windows' exterior (as well as the paint), as it does not make the windshield wipers chatter like Rain-X. Try that on the spots to restore the coating.

I'll have to try this...but it should be noted that the square spots are the most obvious -- and they wouldn't be "suction" cups I don't think. Just a guess bit it seems like it would have come from some kind of rubber spacer between windshields in shipping

Take it to the service center. I had a similar issue which I thought was between the laminates because I could not remove it. Took two appointments before they could resolve it. They first couldn't see it and said everything was OK within specs. After they could really see it (since subtle) then they were going to replace the windshield. But finally after discussing with production engineers they realized a chemical used in production over sprayed. Once they realized this it was real easy for them to fix. I don't know exactly how they fixed it but think they used a special chemical.

All is well now.

• Informative
Reactions: MarkBrokeIt