TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Cleaning vegan leather interior

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by xav-, Apr 13, 2018.

1. xav-

xav- Active Member

I thought this could help people so posting this (Didn’t find a dedicated thread)

Sunscreen residue ended in the front passenger seats last Sunday. Needless to say less than 10 days after picking up the car I wasn’t very happy.

I tried to do the recommended approach from Tesla with no luck (mild soAp and water). I tried buying detergent from the auto store for vegan leather and nothing worked.

What I ended up doing was using 70 percent alcohol and that finally worked. I was afraid that the alcohol would fade the color of the seats but have not seen that at all.

70 percent alcohol is mentioned for the ultra white seats in the Model S and Model X user manual but is NOT mentioned in the Model 3 user manual.

I always recommend trying in an innocuous area first, but if something bad happens to your seat keep in mind that you have that option.

I love vegan leather now :)

• Informative x 11
    • Helpful x 3
  2. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

#2 boaterva, Apr 13, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
    It’s all the same stuff. Every seat except the fabric the 3’s don’t come with yet are from Ultrafabricsinc.com. They have or used to have a pdf for recommended cleaners and they all are alcohol based like counter wipes and the like.

I use them and then a damp (water) paper towel to get any residue off.

• Informative x 6
    • Helpful x 2
    • Like x 1
  3. m3snowy

m3snowy Member

• Helpful x 2
    • Informative x 2
  4. boaterva

Yep, that's the one. That PDF at the bottom has the 'recommended' items. I use the Clorox Disinfecting Wipes, which are the generic counter cleaning ones you can get at Costco.

Recommend saving that dropbox document in your own dropbox. :D

5. McHoffa

McHoffa EV.network

I also got sunscreen on my less than 2 week old seats last week. Almost all of it came off using Norwex cleaning cloth with water. I'll be picking up some wipes though for easier future cleanups.

• Like x 1
  6. BigMskiman

BigMskiman Active Member

Had Pete's coffee (SF area), which is stronger than Starbucks, spill on my arm rests. Cleaned off fine with water/cloth.
    No regrets on vegan white as my SO wouldn't have predicted.

7. PoitNarf

PoitNarf My dog's breath smells like dog food

Had some sweat marks in a few spots and I used baby wipes to clean them off.

8. adaptabl

adaptabl Banned

It should be the same as cleaning any other vinyl.

• Disagree x 1
  9. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

Except that the material is not vinyl, it's polyurethane.

• Like x 2
  10. RenMan68

RenMan68 Member

I would like to share my recovery from a near-heartbreaking experience I had yesterday. I was taking my model 3 to an afternoon baseball game so I put on SPF50 sunscreen, as you do in the summer in Georgia. After sitting down on my black alcantara leather seats I immediately realized what a horrible mistake I had made. There were bright white, perfectly defined titanium dioxide (sunscreen) arm and leg prints all over the seat, console, and arm rest. Wiping with a towel did nothing. Wiping with makeup remover towels did nothing. So, I read this thread and opted to go with the Dove soap technique and I will tell you it is a life-saver. I bought the brush shown in the attached photo, marketed as a "wheel and bumper brush" but I chose it because the bristle are super-soft. I held the brush under the faucet to get it wet and then shook it to get rid of the excess dripping water. Then rub it on the bar of Dove soap and make gentle circles on the alcantara. Not wanting the soap to dry on the upholstery, I would brush for about 10 seconds and then wipe it off with a terry towel. Repeat. I had to repeat this process about 20-25 times on each place where the sunscreen had made contact (that stuff is tenacious) and it took about 45 minutes to finish cleaning the whole seat but, I have to say, it looks just like the day I took delivery. I am so relieved that I didn't ruin my upholstery one week after getting this beautiful car. I hope this story helps other model 3 owners, (1) as a cautionary tale about putting a towel on the seat if you apply sunscreen (2) how to recover from such a mistake. Best wishes, fellow 3'ers! Learn from my mistake... IMG_0491 (1).jpg

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  11. adaptabl

adaptabl Banned

Still no replacement for quality real leather.

• Disagree x 6
    • Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  12. jamnmon66

jamnmon66 Member

Since it's synthetic, I'm guessing that leather conditioner is either ineffective or a bad idea. Anyone have an insight?

13. boaterva

I would think that is for organic material and this isn't. :D With the leather treatments, you are trying to keep 'skin like' materials supple, and this is plastic, high grade or whatever. No connection to each other. I would not even try to use leather products on these seats. It would be like using it on cloth.

To add another note, why would you use anything that the manufacturer has not recommended, as we've discussed/listed above?

14. jamnmon66

jamnmon66 Member

All I see are cleaners on the list. Nothing listed as a protectant. Maybe unnecessary on this product. I just want to protect it so that it lasts. I'm tentatively planning to keep the car for 10 years+.

15. RenMan68

RenMan68 Member

The 3D LVP conditioner says that it "preserves, protects, prolongs" and lists leather, vinyl, rubber, and plastics as applicable materials. This would seem to be what you ned, jamnmon66. Also, as posted above, Dove soap and soft brush works wonders for cleaning.

16. barjohn

barjohn Member

I use a spray water bottle with distilled water and Optimum No Rinse. Spray a little on and wipe with a micro fiber cloth. Stays looking nice.

• Like x 1
  17. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

ONR works for just about everything.

• Like x 1
  18. Barklikeadog

Barklikeadog Active Member

I opened this thread wondering: wtf is vegan leather and why is it having issues??
    There is no replacement for good quality leather... which hey, is pretty much true.... and everyone gave you a thumbs down.:rolleyes:
    You can't point out things like that here. Everyone will come down on you.

I don't often see Tesla pics around here with seatcovers, why is that?

• Like x 1
  19. barjohn

barjohn Member

I agree. I use it to clean the windows too!

• Like x 1
  20. barjohn

barjohn Member

Tesla does not recommend them due to airbags in bolsters being potentially blocked when you need them to save your life. I agree with you on good high quality leather. I had an S with the leather seats and I still prefer the feel and smell of leather.

• Like x 1