Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cleaning Windows?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does Tesla use a different glass from every other manufacturer on the face of the planet? Why is it so damn hard to clean? I spent an hour tonight attempting to clean the front windshield with highly rated cleaners and cloths It looked perfect from outside but the moment I sat inside, streaks and smears everywhere. I don't get it. Every window on the thing is a nightmare to get clean and clear. And just for reference I used to own a detailing shop so I think I know how to clean glass. Anyone else with this issue? I simply don't get it.

Does Tesla use a different glass from every other manufacturer on the face of the planet? Why is it so damn hard to clean? I spent an hour tonight attempting to clean the front windshield with highly rated cleaners and cloths It looked perfect from outside but the moment I sat inside, streaks and smears everywhere. I don't get it. Every window on the thing is a nightmare to get clean and clear. And just for reference I used to own a detailing shop so I think I know how to clean glass. Anyone else with this issue? I simply don't get it.
Have you ever used RainX on your glass? That really messes things up :(
I added Carpro reload to the glass, and that seems to have restored it and makes it easier to clean. I'm using ONR but I think I'm gonna try the aerosol spray Invisiglass. It's apparently better than anything.

• Informative
Reactions: X-pilot

Both our Model 3's has some kind of residue on the glass that we noticed only when the glass would fog up. The first glass cleaner I tried didn't remove the marks completely as you could still see themwheneverr the glass would fog. But the second glass cleaner I tried worked beautifully, I think it was Sprayaway in an aerosol can. No problems since, The glass looks gorgeous.

Both our Model 3's has some kind of residue on the glass that we noticed only when the glass would fog up. The first glass cleaner I tried didn't remove the marks completely as you could still see themwheneverr the glass would fog. But the second glass cleaner I tried worked beautifully, I think it was Sprayaway in an aerosol can. No problems since, The glass looks gorgeous.
Looks like an Aerosol spray is the way to go. I'll test and report back.
Unlike what I said earlier, Carpro reload did NOT help. It did make the glass slick and glossy, (and it looked pristine in my bright garage) but a few minutes in the sun and a lot of streaking and haze appeared.

I use Invisible Glass and a squeegee. Works well

I original tried Windex and a microfiber cloth and had streak issues. I found out later anything with ammonia is a not good.

Invisible Glass is what I used first. It didn't get the manufacturing residue off but it did leave a nice finish until a cold rainy day caused the glass to fog and then I could see the Invisible Glass didn't actually get all the manufacturing residue off. That's when I had success with Sprayaway aerosol cleaner. Use a couple of towels to prevent it from getting on the dash.

Tip: Invisible Glass makes a triangular shaped tool with a handle that makes it easy to clean the lower reaches of the windshield and rear glass.

• Informative
Reactions: Thp3
Many of the microfiber towels you buy in big name store come preconditioned with some sort of waxy chemical that makes the car body cleaning easier (and shiny), but it is not so good when applied to glass (smears, streaks).

Also, once you use it, make sure that you don't use fabric softener when washing them - this is probably one of the common reasons it becomes an exercise in frustration to use them to clean the glass afterwards. Pres-soak them and wash them by hand (your washer might still have chemical residue from detergent and softener that will get into these towels again). You can add some vinegar or denatured alcohol to get rid of wax and other lubricants embedded in the fabric. There is plenty of how to articles and videos on how to do it.

• Informative
Invisible Glass is what I used first. It didn't get the manufacturing residue off but it did leave a nice finish until a cold rainy day caused the glass to fog and then I could see the Invisible Glass didn't actually get all the manufacturing residue off. That's when I had success with Sprayaway aerosol cleaner. Use a couple of towels to prevent it from getting on the dash.

Tip: Invisible Glass makes a triangular shaped tool with a handle that makes it easy to clean the lower reaches of the windshield and rear glass.

I have tried various Invisible Glass products and have always been disappointed. I really do not understand why it gets such high ratings. True, it does not leave streaks, but it also doesn't clean worth a damn.

I recently tried Sprayway and was impressed. It actually got the glass clean! It does not leave any "repellant" behind which is either good or bad depending on your situation. I read somewhere than Tesla does not recommend products like rain-x because they mess up the flow of the blades over the glass.

Reactions: StealthP3D
I haven't noticed cleaning Tesla windows being any different than any other manufacturer (except the round marks on the Model 3's sunroof).
I work at a detail shop and have cleaned windows literally daily for the last 26 years. I use an ONR-dampened microfiber towel, then dry it with a waffle weave MF towel. Work in small sections so the moist residue doesn't dry before you start drying.
To determine if the streaks are in the inside or outside, wipe only vertically on one side, then only horizontally on the other side.
Note: Your shoulders should be exhausted by the time you're done!

A nightmare! I posted in another thread and got all sorts of "advice" and some poor-mouthing too ha ha. My $100,000 car was delivered with a fine layer of schmutz on the windows, and the microfiber towels left tiny things that made a million little gleaming flecks under certain lighting conditions. Also the glass has a milky color in sunlight that I have never seen on any other car, ever.

The advice I got that worked best was to use "glass polish' which is like old school Glass Wax, a diatomaceous earth based cleaner. I used Griot's Fine Glass Polish and a $30 Auto Zone random action buffer. What a mess! That stuff creates loads of powder fine chalk dust that gets all over the molding and in every crack. Awful! WTF? Why did I have to do this to get the s**t off my glass?

Well the results were pretty good. No more "zillion stars" and streaks, but the milky color is unchanged. I think it's in the glass maybe the laminated stuff in the center.. I use Invisible Glass for window cleaning, and I can still see the ghosts of a giant sucker and smaller square patches on the glass. Invisible Glass gets bugs and stuff off, but it will NOT remove slime/glue/shipping-wrap residue, none of that stuff. Maybe more Glass Polishings will be required?? I hate doing it since it is incredibly messy.

I'll try Spraway as discussed here.

Hi Bob Denny,

I used an old window washer's trick on the outside glass.
I use 0000 steel wool with rubbing alcohol 70% or 91% will work.
Use it to cut through the junk and use a paper towel to dry.

The alcohol also works well inside of the car but with microfiber
or other cloth - The steel wool is not necessary or recommended inside of the car...

It is clean compared to Glass Wax or others that will leave the powder residue that others describe.

Good luck,

Shawn

@ShawnA -- Thanks for the info and I may do this to remove the remaining s**t coating.

@jpoet and others -- Sprayway is the BOMB. Who know that someone could make something as obviously superior to Windex and Invisible Glass? It turns out that we had Sprayway in the cabinet. The guy who installed our granite countertops said to use it so Stevie got some cans. I used it today and I could see it slowly cut through the s**t that Tesla left on my windows. I still am fighting the flecks left by microfiber but I can see that it's not part of the glass. And the Tesla delivery schmutz is almost gone. THANKS ALL.

I feel so vindicated reading these posts. Our delivery residue was a beast to get off. My detailer suggested "Shine Solutions" which worked well with a microfiber. But... I think it was the repeated administrations of elbow grease. We had residue outside AND inside. I wish the dealer had taken this off.