Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cleanings wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've tried several brands over the years (Griots, Wolfgang Uber, Sonax, etc), and IMHO most any cleaner is going to leave some amount of light rust stain on the discs until it's removed once they are dry, and by applying the brakes to effectively scrape it off. My former Lexus and MBZ had the same issue so it's not unique to Tesla. As anal as I generally am with such things, I just put up with any rust remnants until the next time I take my car out for a drive. For me it's not worth trying to dry the discs through the wheels, including using a blower (yes, I tried that once) because I still couldn't get it perfect. ;) I find the rust stain is gone soon after I'm part way down the street and have applied the brakes a couple times by just backing out. If it really bothers you, once you have your vehicle dried, I suggest you just back out, drive to the end of the block and back, and in that process using the brake, you'll most likely have removed any rust stains as well as revealed any other water drips you can take care of before tucking your MS back in.

FWIW, I too use Griots Wheel Cleaner, and while I swore by Wheel Woolies on my former Lexus RXh, have found my Daytona Speed Master Wheel brush (the smaller one) does a faster and better job during routine cleaning of my MS Cyclone wheels. IMHO it's all about brake pad formulation and geometry of the wheels as to which combination works best on one vehicle or another.

What are people using to clean brake dust etc from the wheels? I've used Griots wheel cleaner, which leaves a yellow stain on the discs until the brakes grind it off. Ready to try something else
I use Optimum no rinse and a Microfiber towel. Let it set while you do the rest of the car then respray and wipe. Perfect and no residue.

Guys, great ideas for wheels, but are you also taking about your solutions working on the discs behind them, and your ability to reach the discs with various cloths and fluids as the OP first said was the second part of the problem he was trying to solve? IMHO, MS wheels are fairly simple with a number of products and methods. What those fluids and methods then do temporarily to the discs behind the wheels and how easy or not it is to remove those stains before your next drive is the next part of the question I believe the OP was also trying to solve.

I'd personally appreciate any solutions you folks may have found that eliminates 100% of the temporary rust stains on the discs when you clean the wheels. I've not yet found any products or methods after a number of attempts. Thx in advance.

Who cares about rust on the discs? You're not really supposed to clean those with anything but brake cleaner (and only when putting on new ones). Put the car in drive and hit the brakes lightly to clean off the rust...
I agree, and it's what I suggested in my original post to solve that part of the OPs question ...but given everyone else's continued focus on product alone, thought perhaps I was missing some magic product or something. ;)