Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clear 12v Battery Warning Will It Come Back

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didnt drive my car for over a week and returned to a 12v battery warning / needs replacement. I cleared the message yesterday by doing a Wheel Configuration swap under settings which made it hard reset and clear. If the battery actually has problem will the warning come back? I just want to make sure I am in the clear before I cancel my appointment I made about a month ago to have it replaced. ( Read a post that this can happen if you let your car sit for over a week ) so Im thinking that was the issue and I dont really need a new battery. Thoughts?

Mine is 2014 but I also dont know if the previous owner ever had it replaced either. The reason I ask is I am getting ready to sell it and I dont want to have to drop more money into if I dont have to. I also dont want to be stranded in a week or the people That buy it stranded on their way home lol

This is HIGHLY uncommon and I would suspect you have another issue. Most Teslas will get 4-5 years of life from the 12v battery. If you're getting only 2 or even 3 years that would be cause for concern for me.

Our 12V battery is being replaced in our March 2015 built P85D+ today... 5.3 years after it was installed. We keep our P85D+ plugged into our Tesla HPWC unless we're driving it which should always keep our 12V battery charged when connected to the HPWC.

Our 12V battery is being replaced in our March 2015 built P85D+ today... 5.3 years after it was installed. We keep our P85D+ plugged into our Tesla HPWC unless we're driving it which should always keep our 12V battery charged when connected to the HPWC.
The HV battery tops off the 12v whenever needed, usually multiple times per day, regardless of whether or not the car is connected to shore power.

This is HIGHLY uncommon and I would suspect you have another issue. Most Teslas will get 4-5 years of life from the 12v battery. If you're getting only 2 or even 3 years that would be cause for concern for me.
Generally agree. OP references Model 3 though, and there has been a rash of early M3 battery failures recently, right around the 2-3 year mark.

I think that’s likely a bad batch of batteries though or some design issue that may have been fixed in later cars or software releases.

Reactions: Ostrichsak
When I installed my NVX amp/subwoofer, I had to (obviously) run a positive cable to the 12v battery. It was upfront and center and seemed very easy to remove replace. Is it that simple, or is there coding involved/needed to swap/replace successfully?