TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Clear Bra and Window Tint

Discussion in 'Model X' started by James Moore, May 16, 2016.

1. James Moore

James Moore New Member

I just had Clear Bra North Dallas in Arglye, Tx. install Xpel Ultimate Clear Bra on the entire front end of my new Model X, and Tint the windows with LLumar CTX Ceramic Window Film. The paint protection film looks perfect as if it is not even there. Great work. Ask for Brent, he is great to work with. I added the Ceramic window film for the most heat rejection, and did all the windows except the bubble windshield. I am thinking about that one right now. Anyone have any thoughts about tinting the windshield?

• Like x 1
  2. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure this All Out

Don't think it needs it. What percent did you go with on the driver and passenger windows?

3. Softwizard

Softwizard Member

Glad to here! I was at Brent the week before (he told me he was doing your MX). He does great work.

Having never seen a MX before, Brent said that it would take a very expensive big sheet of tint film (only one manufacturer makes it this large) UNLESS you want a seam.

4. James Moore

James Moore New Member

The Driver and Passenger have 30% the rear was done with 15%. When I figure it out I will post some pics.

5. James Moore

James Moore New Member

Yes, Air 80 from a 60" sheet. He and a couple other installers feel they can do it in one piece. Looks very interesting.

6. paintpolisher

paintpolisher Banned

We are having Derek Johnson of Atlanta Protective Films here in Atlanta do a full wrap with Suntek. Might do Xpel on the front bumper cover, not sure. Josh Soufastai Who works out of the same location will do our tint. Fronts and windshield. Also going to have Josh install ClearPlex to protect the windshield. We just discovered that they do have a roll big enough to cover the full windshield.

7. XPEL

XPEL Vendor

Thank you for choosing XPEL! The windshield is a popular piece of glass to tint, especially on the Model X. A good ceramic film will help keep you cool, and most are available in a tint that's barely noticeable but rejects a lot of heat from the sun

8. SΞXY P100D

SΞXY P100D Member

Does anyone know what type of windshield tint is on this Benz S Class?

[​IMG][​IMG]

9. afdfog

afdfog Member

10. afdfog

afdfog Member

Does anyone know if the Clear Bra can be removed at later date? Any recommendations on the Peninsula?

11. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 918 Hybrid

12. XPEL

XPEL Vendor

The clear bra can be removed, just takes time and patience. We have a list of local installers in the area, click: XPEL locator

13. MonsterCarter

MonsterCarter Member

14. baymaX

baymaX Member

What is everyone's thoughts on using Suntek paint protection film? I mainly hear about Xpel and ClearGuard Nano. Has anyone from the Bay Area been to AutoProFilms in Belmont (they only use Suntek)?

15. XPEL

XPEL Vendor

XPEL and Suntek are both very popular films, the most important thing is to find an installer that will put it on so well, that you can't see the film. (for example, exposed seams, bad install quality, etc)

16. baymaX

baymaX Member

Thanks for your reply! Is it typical that air bubbles will appear a few days after installation because AutoProFilms ask that we bring the car back in after a few days to remove the air bubbles?

17. XPEL

XPEL Vendor

Yeah, it can happen sometimes. Mostly these are moisture spots, where there is excess installation gel trapped under the film...usually these should go away on there own without manipulation. It's best to keep the car out of direct sunlight and let these naturally go away.

Some places prefer to keep the car overnight to do a quality inspection in the morning before the owner picks the vehicle up, to ensure there are no extra moisture spots. If there are they can be carefully removed

18. Fresh Start Detail

Fresh Start Detail Local Vendor - Northwest

Since we do not install PPF (paint protection film) I wouldn't mind some expert input from you XPEL, or other professional PPF installers on its removal.
    Unfortunately we are often on the other end of the customer's PFF experience, meaning they've had it installed years ago and now want it removed due to fading, damage, tired of the wavy orange-peel look, etc.
    They are usually shocked and a tad miffed when they learn that it can cost well over $100 (and sometimes as high as $500) to remove. Of course everyone assumes you just peel it off like Saran-wrap off yesterday's plate of cold pizza.
    So my long winded question is how do you handle it when a client wants their PPF removed, and then possibly reapplied? Costs are usually quite higher than they expect.

19. XPEL

XPEL Vendor

The removal process on damaged, cracking, fading ppf is not fun and/or easy by any means. Which is why it's important to have a good quality paint protection film installed originally. We've seen some badly damaged paint protection film come in the shop and its very labor intensive if it's coming off in pieces. Plus after all the work of removing it, the vehicle would have to be prepped and cleaned before re-applying a new clear bra

• Like x 1
  20. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 918 Hybrid

I have had old paint protection film removed ... no problem with a heat gun.