Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clear bra questions - how much to do?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, it will last longer than that. I'm just saying based upon how much I am driving and the types of roads that I'm on, they will probably be chewed up enough for me to replace them in 2-3 years. However I guess it could be longer than that.

And I most likely won't replace all of them at the time, just the ones that are beat up the most.

Searching for comparison of toughness between Xpel Ultimate (10mil thick) and Suntek (6mil thick). Installers who do both say that Suntek clarity is better than Xpel, but durability is somewhat less.
In a Google search I came across this site that tested 19 films for toughness by firing a pellet gun at them straight-on (90º) from 3 meters and from 5 meters; 4.5mm lead pellet at muzzle velocity of 110 m/s = 360 f/s = 240 mph:
Test of durability of PPF (3M, Avery, KPMF, ORAFOL, XPEL) - Paint Protection Film, Clear Bra Forum - TintDude Forum

Most films, including Suntek and Xpel protected the paint film at both distances even though the 1.2mm thick sheet steel panel was dented.
Suntek film was undamaged at 5 meters, damaged at 3 meters.
Xpel Ultimate film was undamaged at both distances
Xpel Extreme film was damaged at both distances

No information about actual velocity of the lead slug at those respective distances, clearly less at 5m than at 3m. Maybe there's a gun enthusiast on TMC who knows a way to calculate loss of velocity over distance.
No tests at oblique angles. The nose of the lead pellet is probably somewhat flat, so I would expect perhaps more film damage at an angle than straight on but less sheet metal deformation.

Searching for comparison of toughness between Xpel Ultimate (10mil thick) and Suntek (6mil thick). Installers who do both say that Suntek clarity is better than Xpel, but durability is somewhat less.
In a Google search I came across this site that tested 19 films for toughness by firing a pellet gun at them straight-on (90º) from 3 meters and from 5 meters; 4.5mm lead pellet at muzzle velocity of 110 m/s = 360 f/s = 240 mph:
Test of durability of PPF (3M, Avery, KPMF, ORAFOL, XPEL) - Paint Protection Film, Clear Bra Forum - TintDude Forum

Most films, including Suntek and Xpel protected the paint film at both distances even though the 1.2mm thick sheet steel panel was dented.
Suntek film was undamaged at 5 meters, damaged at 3 meters.
Xpel Ultimate film was undamaged at both distances
Xpel Extreme film was damaged at both distances

No information about actual velocity of the lead slug at those respective distances, clearly less at 5m than at 3m. Maybe there's a gun enthusiast on TMC who knows a way to calculate loss of velocity over distance.
No tests at oblique angles. The nose of the lead pellet is probably somewhat flat, so I would expect perhaps more film damage at an angle than straight on but less sheet metal deformation.

Hit hard enough and any protection will be damaged. But there's more to it than that. There is also the installation quality. A poor job will look poor regardless of the amount of protection.

I did Xpel front, hood, front fenders, mirrors and a bunch of small areas (below lift gate, behind rear tires, kick areas, handles with 5 window tint. Great install and looks great 1.5 years later. I think it was about 1100$ for all(error, actually price was $1495).

Last edited:
How much was full covering? I just recently bought a MS 85D and already have a rock chip on the hood.
Figure around $5K and you won't be far off. Be sure to take a look at some previous cars the installer has done. Installation quality varies as putting this on is more arts & craftsmanship than science.

To OP:

On the coverage end, consider how long you plan on keeping the car. The longer you expect to have the car, then the more of an investment it becomes. The film is removable and replaceable whereas a repaint would affect the desirability to some who may purchase your car in the future. Most of our clients have us do the entire front end as this is the most critical for protecting from road debris ahead.

Also be sure to look at the work in person prior to choosing the company. Some use pre-cut kits and claim the edges are wrapped, but take a look at all corners. You will see seams if you look closely. These seams will become more visible over time from wax or dirt build up. If you have a black or white car, these exposed edges will show quite visibly. Below is an example of this on a white car. This work was done 3 months ago (not by us) from a company not too far from us. At the time, it looked great and owner was told that the edges are wrapped, but as you can see on a white car, this becomes very visible over time

Hope this helps OP

Attachments

• DSC08121.jpg
    DSC08121.jpg
    450.6 KB · Views: 94
  • DSC08124.jpg
    DSC08124.jpg
    276 KB · Views: 85
  • DSC08126.jpg
    DSC08126.jpg
    430 KB · Views: 76
  • DSC08135.jpg