Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clear Bras a good idea?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With that expansive front on Teslas, is getting a clear bra a worthy investment?

I realize those things can trap dirt at edge and yellow over time, need replacement, but repainting can be just as expensive.

Thoughts?

(looking on a M3, but can be for all models.)

There are a lot of posts on this very topic, and about just as many opinions.

Personally I am a big fan of Paint Protection Film. If you are going to keep your car for many years, I think at least a partial PPF in the most vulnerable areas of the car is a great investment. I would put PPF on the hood, front bumper, front fenders, and rocker panels. PPF, although expensive, is the only paint protection product on the market that has self-healing abilities.

The most recent PPF's do not yellow. And even if they did, they come with 10-year warranties that cover premature yellowing among other things. I have had Xpel PPF on my P3D since 12-18 and I am super happy with how it has performed.

But it is also a valid decision to save your money, buy a $9 bottle of Turtle Wax Seal and Shine as your main paint protection, and call it a day.

I am sure, but search was not showing the answer to if it was advisable.
And it is. :)

I assume Xpel PPF is one of many brands?

Yep, there are many brands to choose from. In addition to Xpel, there is 3M, Suntek, etc.

When choosing PPF, the skill of the installer is key. Make sure you find an installer who is factory authorized, so the warranty is valid. Also make sure you find someone who is experienced in installing PPF on Teslas.

• Helpful
Reactions: MontyFloyd
I think PPF, bras, etc. are all a waste of money. Never had any of these on any of my cars.
They all deteriorate over time and provide only minimal protection.
My seven year old Model S has no protection of any kind. I live where we have snow and grit on the highways. I have some minor pitting of the front if you look real close. If it bothered me I could get it repainted for less than the cost of the ppf, etc.

Reactions: TBrownTX
Had it on my previous car, will likely never get it again. Still managed to puncture the film and get a decent sized dent on the hood from my daily commute. Sold the car to a dealer who didn’t even care since he was going to sell the car at auction anyway.

Reactions: TBrownTX
With that expansive front on Teslas, is getting a clear bra a worthy investment?

The front of a tesla is not any more expensive than the front of any other car in this general class. The answer to this is very (very easy). If you bought clear bra's on your other cars, and were happy with it, do it on this one. If you didnt, this isnt an appreciating vehicle or something, so there is no reason to treat it any different than any other car you may have owned previously.

The front of a tesla is not any more expensive than the front of any other car in this general class. The answer to this is very (very easy). If you bought clear bra's on your other cars, and were happy with it, do it on this one. If you didnt, this isnt an appreciating vehicle or something, so there is no reason to treat it any different than any other car you may have owned previously.
Well, there is more grill on my other cars.
And I never bought new, while my soon to be as yet unnamed M3 will be factory fresh (with lemony scent)

Reactions: TBrownTX and mspohr
Still managed to puncture the film and get a decent sized dent on the hood from my daily commute
To cause a dent was a rather big object, very likely make a huge crack on window.

My gas cars suffer from a non-dent few scratches I touched up, and the paint is expensive and gel up after a couple of years.
Come to think of it, not having to buy touch up paint will go a way to paying for PPF