Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clear hardtop on EBay

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I had some time and did modifications on the top:

1) Shaved the rear of the top approx 1/8". Was hitting the rear CF rollbar cover. Use a file and power sander.
2) The door seals leaked right at the rear top of the doors which was the rear of the top's seal. It should have had a little overlap voer the Roadster's native rear cabin doorseal and upon compression mate to make a perfect seal, which it didn't. Visium (by way of Mr. Fiat) told me to re-ajust the top to reseat the seal but that didn't help.

I ended up cutting the top's seal and expand it to overlap the Roadster seal slightly which it needed. The the top's seal had a U shape which the Roadster's vertical door seal needed to compress and push into to create a tight water seal. It appeared to be short about 1/8-1/4". In order to expand the seal I put some stropfoam inside the seal's cut I made earlier. I then used "Great Stuff" gasket maker, which worked "great" actually, and placed plastic wrap over the work to smooth the gasket maker.... Curing for 5-10 mins then closed the door. Returned in the morning, removed the wrap, sprayed water on / over the top and it sealed perfectly with no leaks.

Unfortunaly with all this messing around with the top I managed to scratch the top from a stray jump of the file. I tried buffing out a small nick, but after buffing, I now now can see the sun filter layer gets rubbed off 1st, and you can't get to the scratch out without removing a good portion of this film. Possibly there's a tint film that can be applied to match and buffed lightly down to do the blending? It also would be nice to see if the transparent top can be replaced if something bad happens to it or later found to get scratched bad beyond repair. It appears to be glued in with some gasket making seal to the tops top.

There shouldn't of been any differences in the specs or fit of the top between the Lotus Elise and the Roadster and believe this was an error when it was made. I contacted Mr. Fiat to see if possibly Visium would like the top back to use as a template check when making the tops.

We'll see what comes back. Until then I wouldn't want anyone in getting the top until it fits the first time upon delivery. Will keep you posted. Love the top and missed gazing at the moon up above during the night drives.

Last edited:
Where are we on the group buy? It seems that a few people have had success with the top, so I'm in. Wiztecy messaged me back in November that we had 5 interested then, but some may have bought on their own. Of course, we may now have more interest. So I say let's do this!

Just got off the phone with Mr. Fiat to update him and to let him know I'm happy with the top. So if we get people together we can see how discounted we can get these. Break down, Customs and shipping are a big cost. Can cut that down pretty well with a large quantity purchase. Also for Europe buyers we can ship right from the Manufacturer.

The tops all have serial numbers. I would like to get a Quality Assurance process going, to give back feedback on the fit to get them PerFect! Mine just needs to be shaved just a little in the back. I may do that myself, but will give the feedback.

So the breakdown on the discount, its a rough over the phone discount for now. Can get something thats in writing and that works with Mr. Fiat and us:

-three tops - $200 off
-seven+ tops - $500 off

I am planning to move forward with this deal that wiztecy put together. If anyone else is in, please get back to wiztecy or me soon.

Maybe if those interested started putting down deposits, so he can figure out how many of us there are. I'm in for that. $500?

Post a phone number or Paypal address or something and an exact product model number, to make sure we are all ordering the same thing. Also, this topic appears on maybe 3 threads, so we need to reach everyone with this attempt.

michael

Is the summary that the only discount is on logistics shipping to us? My expectation was something more, given redistribution from a central point is going to cost a lot and introduce liability we don't want. I guess may be moot given level of interest here, but I'm in and can wait for interest to build if it is meaningful.

I'll ping Mr. Fiat. He said that the largest cost is the export tax which gets reduced with the number of tops sent out since its a bulk shipment.

I may pass the paton over to Ipdamages since I may not have time to manage the back and forth communication.

Also recommend doing a paint armor or a covering of the top if possible as a member suggested. I buffed out my scratches I made using toothpaste and the wax that Visium supplied.

Snapster has a point. If we save $300 on cost but then have to pay $300 to reship to my house it might not be worth all the hassle of a group buy.
But, I'm in if it works out.

I think the most cost effective way would be go through Mr. Fiat, get the discount for the group buy, then he can ship them out. Best economical route would be to identify a central location to the majority of the interests (east coast, central, midwest, and west coast). There could be a mini Tesla Rally to connect up everyone that'd be fun to. And if there's volunteers, arrange shipment from those points.

I didn't see that much more of a discount directly from Visium from what I'm hearing and appears Mr. Fiat didn't mark them up all that much unless Visium is giving a good wholesale discount to him.

I have just spoken with Maurizio. He told me that the prices of the Visium hard top are as follows:

1 top order 2350 euros delivering included (custom taxes are not included)

> 3 or = 3 tops order 2100 euros each top delivering included (custom taxes are not included)

Last edited:
At this point I have seen an expression of interest from:

7racer (location unk)
Jackyche (Seattle)
Botbldr45 (Maryland)
snapster (Dallas)
mg012 (San Antonio)
ipdamages (Southern California)

As Raffy states, it seems that the savings Maurizio realizes and which justifies a discount is in the package shipping. Given that we are geographically diverse, the savings is minimal - especially in light of the hassle factor of dealing with things like import duties.

Maurizio price for 3+ tops: 2100 euros x 1.34 = $2,814 x 110% for import = $3,095, plus reshipping of about $100 = all in price of $3,195.

Mr. Fiat is available right now on eBay for $3,290 + $100 shipping = all in price of $3,390 (he deals with shipping and imports/customs).
Opel Speedster Vauxhall VX220 Tesla Roadster Transparent Hardtop New | eBay
As I understand it, Mr. Fiat will be able to realize the savings from Maurizio if he can order in quantity, which led to his telling Wiztecy that he could drop the price by about $200 for 2+ or $500 for 5+. If Mr. Fiat discounts $200, our all in price is $3,190, which is slightly less than the Maurizio direct option and there is much time savings for whoever is receiving, paying customs, and reshipping (possibly me).

As a result, I'm back to what Wiztecy suggested - we put together a group buy from Mr. Fiat. I am going to PM the individuals named above, and if anyone else is in, I suggest speaking up soon as I plan to finalize a Mr. Fiat order in the next week.

- Chris

i just got off the phone with mr. fiat and the price is $3,000 + $100 reshipping. he will have them boxed individually by maurizio so no concern on that front.

he also mentioned that this price isn't as low as he was hoping he could go, but maurizio said the price of materials has risen and the euro has strengthened. he said that sometimes maurizio offers special "buy now for 15% off" deals, so we could try to wait for one of those, as well as seeing if the price of materials may drop.

i personally am not interested in playing the waiting game to find a better price and save an immaterial amount of $$. as a result, i'm still inclined to make an order with mr. fiat (his actual name is david) next tuesday.

this price is a bit lower than the price i calculated yesterday, and that is because this is a price for 3 or more of these. at this point i am in, mg012 is in, and 7racer looks to be in, so i think we have the minimum. if anyone else is interested, now is the time to speak up. if we could get this to 6 tops, i think we could get a better price. this was the price for 5, but david agreed to sell at this price for 3 when we talked further. we can pay by credit card, so there is a small additional benefit in the form of whatever your credit card gives you for each $ spent. for me it is 1%, so that would be another $31 effective price reduction.

so if you're interested, PM me. soon.

- chris