Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clear hardtop on EBay

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would be interested in a group buy if the discount is large enough to make a "deal". I wonder if we can get the Lotus people in on it to make it potentially larger size (group and discount).

Just got off the phone with Mr. Fiat to update him and to let him know I'm happy with the top. So if we get people together we can see how discounted we can get these. Break down, Customs and shipping are a big cost. Can cut that down pretty well with a large quantity purchase. Also for Europe buyers we can ship right from the Manufacturer.

The tops all have serial numbers. I would like to get a Quality Assurance process going, to give back feedback on the fit to get them PerFect! Mine just needs to be shaved just a little in the back. I may do that myself, but will give the feedback.

So the breakdown on the discount, its a rough over the phone discount for now. Can get something thats in writing and that works with Mr. Fiat and us:

-three tops - $200 off
-seven+ tops - $500 off

Here's the "word" document that Visium sent to Mr. Fiat which he forwarded to me about the top:

Dear Customer,

The Hardtop is a handmade product, born from the passion and professionalism of a group of Italian craftsmen and that is why no two alike hardtops, the presence of small imperfections testify to the uniqueness of the product.

USE AND MAINTENANCE INSTRUCTIONS

For correct use and maintenance dell'hardtop, we suggest you follow a few simple guidelines:

· To mount dell'hardtop only use the supplied key, or type 5 mm hex screwdriver with a grip that allows the proper tightening;

· After the installation to verify the seal dell'hardtop manual traction;

· Check every 1000 km the proper tightening of bolts;

· For a good look Wash regularly, the hardtop and gently with water, soap and a soft sponge, apply protective wax solvent-free, never abrasive polish.

· Avoid washing machines;

· In non-use periods dell'hardtop we recommend storing it in its case.

Looks awesome! Thanks for sharing!

This was unexpected/surprising, so worth repeating:
The top amplify's sound. If you don't have the radio on it amplifies the road noise. Reason being there's no soft felt on the inside of the top to absorb the sound. The soft top soften's the road noise somewhat, the CF hard top has felt on the inside to absorb the sound vibrations. However when I played music my stereo sound very good! Reason being, it reflects and bounces the sound off the top. I noticed I had more bass and fully sound coming from my stock system. So I guess there's a balance there.

Thanks! I was impressed with the top as well. Didn't know you could mount the top that way in the rear under the roof dowl points, the Tesla top uses two allen screws through the frame of the top. I can see indentations in the clear top frame as if you wanted to mount it that way you could but would require some drilling. I wouldn't do it. I do like how it mounts closer to the edges so it pulls the top down even to the body of the car.

One point I just thought about is I believe the transparent top with its neopreane cover may just fit into the Tesla hardtop cover with the tesla top as well together. That'd be nice, less space taken up and both tops protected.

If anyone wants to see it in person let me know, can show it to you in Santa Cruz or in Cupertino during the weed (where I work).

525522_4738560390838_1578643358_n.jpg

Looks cool in the rain too :)

The sun isn't a problem from the tinting on it. Its a pretty good tint. It will raise the temps more over the tesla top since that doesn't allow any light in, but that's why I bought it. For more sunshine! I would recommend having a shower cap cover for it which will keep the dust/dirt off it but also prevent the majority of the sunlight from entering the cabin. I love that cap. I'm going to look for soft flannel bed sheet and cut to size or find a very soft towel to act as a buffer between the shower cap and clear top. If the wind kicks up with a little dust I could see it eventually scuffing the top from repetitive motions.

To me, sunlight in the SF bay area doesn't "beat down" as hard as say out in the Arizona desert.

I think we tend to have some level of cool humidity that tends to keep cars from getting scorching hot inside like they do in many other places. You could probably still do some interior baking in the middle of summer, but most of the time the car is probably still livable even with the top exposed. (I would assume you would at least want to "crack the windows" a bit for ventilation.)

So doing an update... I want to get the top dialed in and work with the manufacturer so that when a group buy is in place the tops will just work and everyone will be happy. Just been limited on time lately to dedicate to this 100%. The window seals are slightly leaking at the rear of the top and door jam. Its not allot but is very annoying. Worked with Mr. Fiat who talked to Visium. Visium says adjust the top so that the seals seat better. Problem is, I can't. I don't know if its because the top is hugging too close to the carbon fiber cover of the rollbar or what. I want to send measurements and my serial # to Visium to compare with their other tops. There should be NO difference between the dimensions of the Lotus Elise and the Tesla Roadster cabin / roof space. When I have time I'll try to shave the rear of the top to see if that makes the seals work properly, if not I may be able to add more seal area to the door / roof seals of the top. Appears they just expand and fit it from the manufacturer with some black heavy duty rubber gasket sealer. If that doesn't work I'll ask the manufacturer for a new set of seals. Will keep you all updated when new info and data points appear.