TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Clear nubbies on charge plug pins don't matter

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by scottm, Apr 6, 2018.

1. scottm

scottm Version 9 software sufferer

#1 scottm, Apr 6, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
    When cleaning my UMC chargeport plug I noticed one of the pins had a broken off clear nubbie thing, missing from the end, as shown on the right hand pin below. It seems not to matter in the operation of charging.

IMG_20180404_222536.jpg

Also please admire the clean shiny silver contacts.. you should have seen the number of blackened Q-tips coming out of this job.

As you can see this UMC gets frequent daily use on the road, banged around a lot. Tough little bugger.

I had thought maybe these nubbies were light pipes for confirming connection or for passing data. But the receiving end pins in the chargeport don't seem to have any matching optical coupling ... so it's just plastic, and apparently unnecessary.

So rest easy if you've got busted nubbies.

That is all.

2. Rocky_H

Rocky_H Active Member

We can see from the ragged edges around it that you normally let your puppy perform the routine maintenance on it. :p

• Funny x 1
  3. scottm

scottm Version 9 software sufferer

That's not dog chew, it's from dropping the handle on the pavement sometimes accidents happen I don't purposely drop the cord on the ground. But I do chuck the cord onto the back seat floor regularly.