Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clear protective film kits for the X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has any one had the ENTIRE windscreen tinted with a SINGLE piece? I've heard from some that it is not possible and others say that it is.

Do you like the results?

It is possible as we have worked on 80+ Xs now (paint protection, photosync, and ceraluxe tint). And currently have logged 16 full windshields. They are quite difficult, so you will have to find a company that has extensive experience in window film application. Also if you are looking at a film like Ceraluxe or Photosynce, these nano window films are double the thicness of regular window tint, so it will really test the skill of a tinter.

Here are some pics (fyi...tinters always prep the tint on the outside and install inside)
DSC01677.JPG
DSC01579.JPG
DSC01737.JPG
DSC01748.JPG
DSC01650.JPG
modelx's.jpg

Reactions: ssq
Dear all. I am going to study and review all that has been shared on the thread(many thanks!). But considering value for money, what's the least expensive protection you would recommend for a newbie on this topic. I think I saw a $7500 quote somewhere on this thread, that blew my fuse :/
You really don't need to do the entire car for most of the protection. Think where the rocks and sand will hit. It's mostly frontal areas and the lower parts of the car. Many of the kits just do the front bumpers and fenders, hood, mirrors, rear fenders and rockers. Some add the A pillar too all at a small fraction of the $7500. I chose to put Opticoat on the entire car after the wrap just for a bit more hardiness and it seemed to up the shine a bit too.

I had this done to my car at Appearance Solutions in Sacramento and they gave me a discount for being a TMC member.

Appearance Solutions - Sacramento, CA

IMG_4666.JPG

Reactions: sukhi and ssq
You really don't need to do the entire car for most of the protection. Think where the rocks and sand will hit. It's mostly frontal areas and the lower parts of the car. Many of the kits just do the front bumpers and fenders, hood, mirrors, rear fenders and rockers. Some add the A pillar too all at a small fraction of the $7500. I chose to put Opticoat on the entire car after the wrap just for a bit more hardiness and it seemed to up the shine a bit too.

I had this done to my car at Appearance Solutions in Sacramento and they gave me a discount for being a TMC member.

Appearance Solutions - Sacramento, CA

View attachment 173807

One of the great features of protective films is its ability to "seal the paint in time". For example, let's say your in a parking lot and someone tries to force a shopping cart between your car and theirs. Or lets say you take it through the wrong car wash (Swirl marks), rear door opens and doest detect a bush, or whatever it may be, life happens... The goal of protective film is to preserve the paint finish as this is not something that can be easily or cheaply fixed. Although it is not bulletproof, its benefits go WAY beyond just rock chip protection, ultimately its the peace of mind that makes a full vehicle wrap worth the cost.

One of the great features of protective films is its ability to "seal the paint in time". For example, let's say your in a parking lot and someone tries to force a shopping cart between your car and theirs. Or lets say you take it through the wrong car wash (Swirl marks), rear door opens and doest detect a bush, or whatever it may be, life happens... The goal of protective film is to preserve the paint finish as this is not something that can be easily or cheaply fixed. Although it is not bulletproof, its benefits go WAY beyond just rock chip protection, ultimately its the peace of mind that makes a full vehicle wrap worth the cost.
My car will never see the inside of a car wash and will never park anywhere a shopping cart can get near it, but I get your point. :)

We are Modesta PlusCon certified installers, and have used everything under the sun. I can say Modesta without a doubt has the best appearance on the market, in addition to its protection abilities. Its not the cheapest coating on the market and isn't for everyone but our clients absolutely love it as do I!

In reference to PPF we have also installed/tested just about every film on the market. We have been using Xpel Ultimate and SunTek coated films for some time now until we got our hands on Prestige Film Technologies "ClearGuard Nano SR". Hands down the best looking film with the highest liquid gloss top coating and 8.2mil thickness (thickest on the market).

Anyone considering getting protection on their new Tesla definitely consider Modesta and CGN, they also work very well together!

thanks for the info! now to find installers in or near my town.

Any recommendations for quality work around the Seattle area? Looking to do XPEL or ClearGuard Nano (the latter would be preferred), bonus points if they also do PhotoSync. I know of a few places, but I'm really looking for happy meticulous Tesla owners to provide an informed referral :)
Check the "Northwest" forums. I believe there's some discussion there about this. Off the top of my head though...NW Auto Salon in Lynnwood and Metropolitan Detail in Bellevue.

Edit: Found this thread a few pages back in the Northwest forums...

Recommendation for Detail Shop and Opti-Coat Pro in Redmond/Bellevue WA area

Just got my front end (and seat backs) wrapped by Ultimate Shield in Orange, not quite as far south as Glistening Perfection. Very happy with their work, and I think their prices are pretty good compared to some other shops I looked at.
Got pics? I'd love to see more pics of the Silver Metallic paint! Thanks!

Last edited:
Just got my car back today from Joe at OCDetailing in Walnut Creek and the vehicle looks amazing! Paint correction, 70% of my car custom wrapped with Xpel & Cquartz inside. He went the extra mile of getting the many many scratches off my vehicle after it went to the Tesla SC for all the adjustments and corrections needed. I was very impressed with his pride and detail of work performed but was not very surprised to see 3x other Model X's in his shop while I was picking up my vehicle. OCDetailing has been mentioned a few times already but wanted to bump this again so that anyone considering wrapping their vehicles bring it to a real professional.

OCDetailing - Walnut Creek, CA

I just got my car back from SC. Car is going to Premier in Fremont for the full treatment on all painted areas and photosync tint on all windows including the massive windshield. My understanding is that Premier is the only company capable of doing the windshield in one sheet from top to bottom. Glad I already have used them for my previous cars and look forward to getting the P90DLX done as well.

I just got my car back from SC. Car is going to Premier in Fremont for the full treatment on all painted areas and photosync tint on all windows including the massive windshield. My understanding is that Premier is the only company capable of doing the windshield in one sheet from top to bottom. Glad I already have used them for my previous cars and look forward to getting the P90DLX done as well.

Glistening Prefection in the OC is also doing the windshield in one sheet. Ping @MoeMistry for more details.

Reactions: Zroiron
How many days do I have to part with my X to do a full wrap?

We just got a little closer to you

We moved to Costa Mesa and are about 10 minutes from service center.

Full wrap, assuming no paint correction is needed, can be done in 3 days. I'd also highly recommend a nano coating, we use CQuartz Finest, to further bring out the gloss in the film, making it look closer to paint. Nano will also protect the film on an amazing scale and make cleaning very easy.

Please let me know if I can be of further help

Reactions: Joseph Torbati
It really depends on where you live and who does the installation. But full body wraps can usually range from $5k-$9k. Are you in Houston? There is a great Prestige dealer not far from you!

Yes I live in Houston and would like someone who does custom cuts like you did with the Model X in your article. Do you know anyone nearby? I don't mind driving if I have to as long as the quality is perfect.

Yes I live in Houston and would like someone who does custom cuts like you did with the Model X in your article. Do you know anyone nearby? I don't mind driving if I have to as long as the quality is perfect.
EVS Motors is the distributor and Installer for Clear Guard Nano in Houston. We have wrapped quite a few Model X's in this film and they have turned out fantastic. We are able to do a custom cut for your whole vehicle if that is what you prefer! Send a direct message

EVS Motors is the distributor and Installer for Clear Guard Nano in Houston. We have wrapped quite a few Model X's in this film and they have turned out fantastic. We are able to do a custom cut for your whole vehicle if that is what you prefer! Send a direct message
Can you please summarize the pros/cons of your product vs. competitors like Expel Ultimate and Suntek?