Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clear Tint Film on Model X Windshield?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had Huber Optik Ceramic 60 installed and am completely satisfied. Even in heavy sun from above heat is not a major issue. Visibility is excellent and you don't even realize it's there, even at night.

With that being said, the detailer who installed it probably won't offer it again to other MX owners as it was more difficult to install than other films and it was not profitable for him time wise. A superior product but a bear to install on such a large piece of glass. My install was a one-off as a trial for future pricing so I got it installed at a much reduced price.

• Informative
Reactions: Cowby
You will hear differing views from owners, but our SC says that Tesla recommends against putting any film on the windshield. They say it can have an affect on AP. I am simply passing on info, so don't shoot the messenger. For me, I would rather have better (or best possible) AP and have to use the included sunshade more often.

You will hear differing views from owners, but our SC says that Tesla recommends against putting any film on the windshield. They say it can have an affect on AP. I am simply passing on info, so don't shoot the messenger. For me, I would rather have better (or best possible) AP and have to use the included sunshade more often.
Hundreds of Teslas have THIS - and no - it has no effect on AP1 or 2. It's applied (by reputable shops) on the inside, just as it would be on side windows. It's pricy, but worth it. We used it because we'd seen how much it diminishes serious ghosting on the X. Had it not been for the product, our windshield would have been unacceptable.

Hundreds of Teslas have THIS - and no - it has no effect on AP1 or 2. It's applied (by reputable shops) on the inside, just as it would be on side windows. It's pricy, but worth it. We used it because we'd seen how much it diminishes serious ghosting on the X. Had it not been for the product, our windshield would have been unacceptable.
Sorry my BS meter went off the charts with that video. The "solar-adaptive nano technology" and the non-scientific measurements of BTU readings just were too much for me. Of course there will be different BTU readings between covered and uncovered glass. It's called heat-absorption and you'd see that with zero tint in the glass. They should have had a non-treated portion to use as a baseline.

I am glad you found a solution that worked for you.

I installed a film on my windshield. I originally selected Llumar Air 80 but ended up going with the Prestige film. The installer did NOT remove the rear view mirror & front-facing cameras. Instead he cut the film around the front-facing cameras so there is nothing in the way of the cameras nor were they moved that might require re-calibration. I look through the film, but the front-facing cameras do not.

The result FOR ME is noticeably less heat. Subjectively I put my hand on the dash after the car has been sitting in the sun and the dash is only "warm" compared to it being "hot" or "very hot" prior to having the film. Prior to adding the film, while driving the sun's heat directly through the windshield often caused me to put on a baseball cap (I have very little hair on top of my head) but now I never even think about it. I'm aware of the light from the sun above my head but I no longer feel like my head is burning or sweating while I'm driving.

I don't know which marketing information or tests to believe, but I now do believe enough in the general benefit of ceramic films that I'm looking to add some residential film from Llumar to a few windows in my house. I personally hate being hot so I'm generally happy to experiment with anything which helps me feel cooler. I was very nervous and uncertain prior to the installation, but I'm happy with the result.

Having said that, it's not perfect or for everyone. Installation on our windshields isn't cheap and I'd struggle to trust someone who hadn't done it before. I don't see any improvement in the ghosting and while the visual quality of the film is generally excellent it is still a film with imperfections. I see a few "spots" that may not be perfect, but I'm reasonable about it. The net benefit to me was worth it because I hate excess heat, I sunburn easily, I want my dog to be as cool as possible, etc.

We had all our windows done with Rayno S9 tint. The installer cut around the rear view mirror vs taking anything apart. He did a pretty good job especially for the level of difficulty. Used a 70 for the front windshield and the heat reduction is significantly noticeable. It's hot in Miami.