Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clearplex on windshield causing chattering wipers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently had Clearplex installed on my windshield. The verdict is still out as to if I like it or not. Seems it had a few optical imperfections on day one but it appears to be getting better. (Or I am settling)

My question is - has anyone else done this and experienced chattering wipers? They seem to stick to the windshield now. (Not sure if they did before - it never rained before I had the windshield done)

Does anyone know if I can apply anything to the clearplex/windshield to help with this? I was thinking RainX or something like that.

Also - does anyone else think the performance of the auto-wipers basically stinks? How can the smartest car on the planet have such stupid wipers? </RANT>

Thanks in advance!

I reported a chattering driver side wiper at my last visit to the SC. It's a known problem (being worked on in Engineering with no ETA) on the lower section of that blade because of its length. The SC can do a bit of adjusting, but mine still is not acceptable and physically works poorly. IMHO, it's going to take a new blade design that has metal inserts to improve its overall rigidity like I had in my former Lexus SUVs with the driver-side very long blade (that didn't chatter at all).

I did not leave with the impression there is a known chattering problem on the passenger side blade (I don't have it at all with that short blade). Good luck with resolution in your situation if it's also on that side with your film... I suspect it may be harder to get Tesla to accept a chattering problem if the blades they designed are not wiping directly on their glass.

...and FWIW, my recent firmware update (2.9.68) from the SC calls out in the release notes an intermittent wiper improvement. We've had lots of rain in the last week, and I'm really happy with how they now operate... Much improved. Not as many false positives with a slow drizzle as before and general better job changing frequency more often as the amount of water changes coming down in the windshield.

Last edited:
I used Fly-by Forte on the glass and the wipers and I don't get any chattering and a very clean wipe. The bottom of my driver's blade wiggles due to no support, but doesn't make any noise. My Acura had the same wiggling problem with the same type of blade. I think it's a flaw of the unsupported design.

And don't forget this warning found in the Owner's Manual: "Caution: Do not use windshield treatment fluids. Doing so can interfere with wiper friction and cause a chattering sound".
This line has had me thinking for a while, I've always planned on using RainX on the windshield as I love what it's done for me on previous vehicles, but this line has made me reluctant... I wonder if others have experience with this?

This line has had me thinking for a while, I've always planned on using RainX on the windshield as I love what it's done for me on previous vehicles, but this line has made me reluctant... I wonder if others have experience with this?
I personally have never had issues using Aquapel for years on all my vehicles... It's like RainX, but IMHO lasts a lot longer. With my MS, I've had the chattering problem with and without the Aquapel (tried it after the so-called fix.) The SC knew what my problem was as soon as I described it; said it was a known issue; they could do a tweak to the arm to hopefully improve the situation, but it probably would not resolve the problem until Engineering found a solution. That to me was pretty conclusive Tesla has a blade issue with the driver-side, where they likely need to change the spec with Bosch for a different blade insert (like I've had on previous vehicles) or they have a larger wiper problem. The issue is more apparent in different wind conditions than others, as is the amount of water on the windshield. I just don't think enough people have officially reported it at a SC to make Tesla prioritize a resolution, or Tesla is (unfortunately for some of us) on to other more interesting things since this is a problem that has existed since the first MS was produced.

I've had Aquapel on my windshield for nearly a year. It's probably time to reapply, but it is still pretty effective. Seems to outperform/outlast Rain-X from my perspective. I had a chattering wiper at one point, but it was mostly skipping at a single point in the travel. I found that there was some dirt there, so I cleaned and buffed the windshield and it went away.

When I had Clearplex installed on my previous Model S the installer gave me a small thing of Clearplex polish. Goes on and off like a liquid wax. Made the film slick. Whenever I started getting chattering an application of that stuff took care of it. Lasted a few months at a time. Talk to your installer and ask for it.

You probably don't want to use anything like Rain-X or Aquapel (my favorite on glass) on Clearplex as it's plastic. The solvents in those glass treatment products could haze the Clearplex.

I've also since upgraded my wiper blades to Bosch Icons and have never had problems with chattering again. Much better than the OEM blades, which are a lower tier Bosch blade.

Not to derail the thread, but does anyone else think that the Clearplex site sucks? I can't get it to report on available installers in my area.

I didn't have a problem with that - sorry. Did you try to give them a call?

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you for all of the answers. Seems like a lot of differing opinions and experiences from there being a potential design flaw to changing the blades. I'll ask my installer about the Clearplex polish and go from there. With my luck it will not rain again in AZ for another few months so who knows.

I had chatter on mine (mainly drivers side) from the factory and applied Rain X in hopes of fixing the issue but it only worked for a few minutes then chattered horribly! I then tried wax and various other treatments and nothing worked for more than a few mins. I've used Rain X on every vehicle I've owned and it's never caused an issue. I also tried the Icon blades and some Rain X blades. Again, nothing worked. It was so intolerable my wife wanted to sell the car. Keep in mind, we live in Palm Beach so rain during a good portion of the year is nearly a daily activity and the blades dancing around the windshield are very distracting and very embarrassing in a $100k car. To make matters worse, we both travel for work and when we get in a Chevy Cruz and the wipers are flawless it just adds fuel to the fire.

Took it to SC and they replaced blades and claimed to resolve the matter. Again, worked for a few mins then chatter returned. Took it back to SC and they stripped the windshield of all treatments and claimed it was resolved again. I will say that it was much better but not resolved. And it appears in the process they damaged the finish of the windshield. I get really unusual streaking now, especially at sunrise/sunset when the dew is just starting to accumulate. Very disappointing.

I resorted to Auto Geek and asked their advice. They sounded certain that the SC damaged the windshield but suggested the product below. I applied it and the problem is now 95% resolved. The best it's ever been since taking delivery. Still not acceptable but we can live with it. I still haven't decided how to handle the damage to the windshield. I am afraid replacing it might cause another new issue but might not have a choice at some point if the finish gets even worse.

Has anyone replaced drivers side wiper blade with the next size smaller? I've thought about doing this.

Jason

Since moving from KY to Colorado the only thing I have to worry about are rock chips in the windshield. To my surprise CO doesn't have the mandatory windshield replacement due to rock chips. So my insurance company State Farm offers this service for only $6 extra a month. Now since I am still waiting on my model 3 I am wondering if there is going to be a price increase to cover the Model 3? In addition, hopefully Tesla has recognized the problem with Model S chattering wipers and have rectified that with the Model 3.

I have had clearplex installed two times over my 44k miles. I have never been 100% happy with it but seeing rocks fly at me and it not shattering my windshield and leaving only a little divot here and there in the film, I WOULD 100% recommend it. I figure 3-4 installs will be the same as 1 windshield and I will have a like new windshield each time and feel fairly confident that I would have had at least 2-3 windshields by now with all the gravel trucks and construction on my expressway commute.

As for the chattering, I use Optimum Opti-Glass Clean & Protect and it has helped the chattering as you use it more and more

Optimum Opti-Glass Clean & Protect