Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Click sound when accelerating forwards/backwards

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Description
Ever since my motor was replaced a few months back, I noticed a metal click sound whenever I would do a decent acceleration forward or backward. The click only happens when it has clicked the other way. For example, once the click has happened going forward, it won't happen again until I hear the click going reverse. Once I hear it click in reverse, then it will happen going forward. The click doesn't happen twice in a row going the same direction. This seems to be coming back from the rear area.

Resolved?
I did have this addressed and they said it wasn't related to the motor replacement work, which then just makes it coincidental that the noise started after the repair. They said they had grease up some parts, I think like some suspension or axel or something. The noise DID go away for a few weeks but now it has come up again. I brought it up to their attention and will see them tomorrow while I fix my door handle as well.

Do you know what is is?
I tried searching for similar issues but couldn't find anything really. I'm not sure if I can just ignore this but I'm just concerned if will be a problem in the future. Them greasing it helped so if all it takes is grease then maybe it's not a big deal. But after a few weeks it came back so either not enough grease or it is something else?

Same. They re-greased it with no cost after coming in to retrofit my left side rear door handle. It is my second time for the same issue through within like 1-2 months and only probably 1,000 miles.

It makes me want to slap the pedal less often and with 113K my perception of the car feels like the car is getting a little fragile with issues like this.

So they greased it up I believe this is the second or third time they did this and the noise is back.

I asked them if it is okay that I just ignore the sound, it doesn’t really bother me because you only hear it like when parking. And I’m not sure if it is actually like a safety issue or something that will be a problem down the road.

I asked them again but they offered a $100 estimate to do a diagnosis. I’m not sure what to do because I can live with the noise but I don’t know much about if it is actually a problem. I don’t feel any difference or noises in driving.

Reactions: rickyjb
I think it's ok to ignore it.

ICE cars often have much bigger play in the axle, but you don't hear it over the engine sound. The play can be checked by jacking one wheel up and rotating back and forth by hand..