Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clicking and Pump Noise - Car Parked & Not Plugged In

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This just started out of the blue. If you've ever had your car connected to the charging cable, gone into the app and set the charging limit higher than what the SOC was, this is EXACTLY what you'd hear. The only issue is, my car is not plugged in at all. The car will make a clicking sound that I've become familiar with when the internal charger kicks on and then there's a loud pump noise that comes from the front left of the vehicle. This goes on for about a minute and then the whole cycle kicks off again 3-4 mins later. Does this all day and all night.

You can actually hear the battery warmers running as if I have Ludicrous + mode enabled (which I don't).

Thoughts?

This just started out of the blue. If you've ever had your car connected to the charging cable, gone into the app and set the charging limit higher than what the SOC was, this is EXACTLY what you'd hear. The only issue is, my car is not plugged in at all. The car will make a clicking sound that I've become familiar with when the internal charger kicks on and then there's a loud pump noise that comes from the front left of the vehicle. This goes on for about a minute and then the whole cycle kicks off again 3-4 mins later. Does this all day and all night.

You can actually hear the battery warmers running as if I have Ludicrous + mode enabled (which I don't).

Thoughts?
It could be the car thinks it needs to charge the 12V.

Do you have a cigarette lighter style volt meter? Plug it into the accessory port and see if it is dropping below 12.5v...

It could be the car thinks it needs to charge the 12V.

Do you have a cigarette lighter style volt meter? Plug it into the accessory port and see if it is dropping below 12.5v...
@aerodyne great idea. I just measured the 12V and it's showing 13.85v so I think I'm ok there. Your theory did get me thinking though about what's changed recently as it relates to what's feeding off that 12v source.

1. I installed a new wireless phone charger. It's using the same 12v plug but the charging base is different.
2. I updated the firmware on my Uniden R7 radar detector. That's connected with a mirror tap which is a constant 12v, however when GPS detects 0mph for 5 mins, I have it set to power cycle off. I verified that's happening.

I've unplugged the wireless charger and I'm going to let it sit for an hour or so and go into the garage and see if it's still cycling. If it is, I'll unplug the radar detector and do the same.

Thanks again for the help!

So, I figured out what's doing this but have not figured out how to make it stop (outside of the obvious).

This is being caused by Teslafi. Every time Teslafi polls the vehicle (every 1 minute), it goes through this cycle. This seemed to start a few firmware updates ago (2020.48.37.1)

I also can't seem to get the car to go to sleep with Teslafi other than forcing the sleep schedule. Have followed all the various articles etc. and reached out to Teslafi support for help. Their last response was "sorry, can't help you. Haven't seen this before and nobody else is reporting this"

Reactions: sieler
My P90DL is also making this noise just recently...I've had the car for about one year now and it has been dead silent unplugged in the garage until now.

I have Teslab installed on the phone and keep both the phone and the key about 20 feet away. If the proximity mattered, I feel like the door handles would open up, so I'm not going down that path and I have an 8-month-old 12v battery so I'm not inclined to believe that is the case either.

Looks like other Teslafi folks are having the same issue.

So, I figured out what's doing this but have not figured out how to make it stop (outside of the obvious).

This is being caused by Teslafi. Every time Teslafi polls the vehicle (every 1 minute), it goes through this cycle. This seemed to start a few firmware updates ago (2020.48.37.1)

I also can't seem to get the car to go to sleep with Teslafi other than forcing the sleep schedule. Have followed all the various articles etc. and reached out to Teslafi support for help. Their last response was "sorry, can't help you. Haven't seen this before and nobody else is reporting this"

Is it the sound @dspwhite reported (on his Model 3), in the very short audio here: Vocaroo | Online voice recorder
?

Because I'm getting that sound on my 2020 Model S.

thanks!