Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clicking/Buzzing/Rattling Noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All

I got my SR+ Model 3 in 2019 and it has always had a strange buzzing/clicking/humming noise. It almost sounds digital but it is not. See the following recording (sound only):

Some details:
  • It seems to come from behind the dash but it is very hard to pinpoint.
  • I notice it most often between 40 and 70 km/h but that might just be because those are the speeds I drive most frequently. I've definitely also heard it on the freeway or driving slowly down a lane.
  • Rough roads seem to aggravate it, but it can also happen on smoother roads.
  • It happens with or without climate on, and with or without the audio system on.
Any thoughts? I am happy to do whatever to diagnose it more. I've had mobile service check it out twice and they've not found anything.

I’ve got a used 2018 LR M3 and I have a similar noise. At first I thought it was static from the door tweeter, but it’s not. It’s definitely something in the dash that vibrates in sympathy with certain road conditions.

Really hard to pinpoint, but quite irritating.

I had something very similar. I was adamant in was behind the steering wheel and maybe into the column. It took my 4th visit (and third service centre) to fix it. Now granted it wasn’t as bad as your case (which should therefore be easier to pinpoint).

Unfortunately I can’t help you more as the Telsa that fixed it didn’t know how they fixed it. They just put offing inside/around the console area and dash and it went away.

Reactions: robussc
I had something very similar. I was adamant in was behind the steering wheel and maybe into the column. It took my 4th visit (and third service centre) to fix it. Now granted it wasn’t as bad as your case (which should therefore be easier to pinpoint).

Unfortunately I can’t help you more as the Telsa that fixed it didn’t know how they fixed it. They just put offing inside/around the console area and dash and it went away.
Yeah - it's obviously something vibrating and hitting something adjacent such that it makes a buzzing noise. I'll make a note of it when I next take it in for a service and hopefully they can do something similar. The fact it doesn't do it while stationary makes it very hard to pin down.