Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clicking & Clunking while Parked

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

K-MTG

Sunshade Captain of TMC
Oct 24, 2015
Irvine, CA
Picked up my 3 over the weekend...I noticed that the car intermittently emits a strange sound in this order "click" - "clunk" - "bang" while it is parked.

Sounds like the clicking sound my X makes when I approach it with the fob (I think this means that the DC-to-DC converter is charging the 12V battery from the main pack). But it is much louder and scarier on the 3. And with the X we are suppose to put the fob far away or else it continuously wakes up the car but that is not feasible with phone-key.

My car is in the garage and my iPhone goes in and out of range so the car intermittently wakes up and unlocks or locks.

Just wanted to see if anyone else has a similar behavior with there 3.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna and S3XY
Sorry to derail your thread, but I'm assuming the OC Fastrak Tollroads transponder works fine through that location on the front windshield?

Works perfectly!

@K-MTG, what temperature is the car when this happens? Seems like the whirl is most likely fan or coolant pump?

It's like 60 degrees in the garage so it is unlikely the car is cooling. The car sat in my garage for 18 hours...so everything should have cooled down.

Is your car plugged in and charging when this happens? Are any of the sounds associated with the cooling louvres under the nose of the car opening/closing? Also you might consider leaving more open space in front of the car for good air flow into the battery cooling system.

Is your car plugged in and charging when this happens? Are any of the sounds associated with the cooling louvres under the nose of the car opening/closing? Also you might consider leaving more open space in front of the car for good air flow into the battery cooling system.

Not charging or plugged in...not sure what is causing this.

Why do the lights flash? How is that related? The car seems possessed!

I had some infotainment glitching today while driving...when I entered the 3 it took 30 seconds for the touchscreen to power on and then I heard static noise from the speakers...I couldn't get sound to work (even the turn signals didn't click) so I rebooted the center screen like the S/X and everything returned to normal.

But later in the day, when I shifted the car to drive, it kept on reverting to park but I resolved this by putting on my seat belt. It looks like the software is a little buggy hopefully they will be able to resolve this with some OTA updates.

Tesla needs to add the ability to disable phone-key in certain locations...such as my house. The car keeps on unlocking and locking...don't think that is good for the car.

Also, when I shift the car to park. The headlights flash like they did in the video....strange

Not charging or plugged in...not sure what is causing this.

I had some infotainment glitching today while driving...when I entered the 3 it took 30 seconds for the touchscreen to power on and then I heard static noise from the speakers...I couldn't get sound to work (even the turn signals didn't click) so I rebooted the center screen like the S/X and everything returned to normal.

But later in the day, when I shifted the car to drive, it kept on reverting to park but I resolved this by putting on my seat belt. It looks like the software is a little buggy hopefully they will be able to resolve this with some OTA updates.

Tesla needs to add the ability to disable phone-key in certain locations...such as my house. The car keeps on unlocking and locking...don't think that is good for the car.

Also, when I shift the car to park. The headlights flash like they did in the video....strange

What firmware version are you on? I'd call your DS or SC and let them know asap.

Hmm. I would have said to "take it in" as it does not sound normal to me, but with the other owner having similar noises, we just need to figure out what it's doing.... I agree that you ought to call DS / CS to help ensure that they don't have an issue that they don't know about cranking off the line at xxx per week!
PS- smart move to video record the issue!

Reactions: erthquake
This post in he Delivery sub says their delivery was postponed for a firmware update.

Model 3 arriving December 28th

Perhaps it's to fix your issue.

They really need to allow for the ability to disable phone key at a specific location (I.e home). So my car doesn’t continuously wake up whenever my phone is within Bluetooth signal with the 3

tweet.PNG

Elon Musk on Twitter

I think this tweet is applicable. Someone asked for a similar feature and it looks like Tesla will do it. Of course, in Elon Standard Time...