Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clicking & Clunking while Parked

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With the walk up unlock disabled did the doors unlocks when you touched/moved the handle or did you then have to use the key card or app to unlock the car.

They unlocked when I pulled on the handles...or hit the button to open the trunk.

But the car always connects to my phone via Bluetooth when I am in range regardless of the selected option

• Informative
Reactions: dsvick
They unlocked when I pulled on the handles...or hit the button to open the trunk.

But the car always connects to my phone via Bluetooth when I am in range regardless of the selected option
Good to know, thanks. So the only difference is that with "walk-up unlock" it might save you a second or two to open a door or get into the trunk?

Less than that...since the door unlock mechanism is automatic...it is nearly instant. Except the headlights don't turn on or the mirrors don't unfold till you open the door.
Good to know, I will also turn off walk up unlock.

With regards to the clicking and clunking, is it an issue that somehow affects the performance of the car or is it just what the model 3 EV does as a matter of course? Perhaps it is an issue that is normal and doesn't need to be fixed.

Good to know, I will also turn off walk up unlock.

With regards to the clicking and clunking, is it an issue that somehow affects the performance of the car or is it just what the model 3 EV does as a matter of course? Perhaps it is an issue that is normal and doesn't need to be fixed.

I expected vampire drain to be high but it is suprsingly low...only a mile or two per day

Less than that...since the door unlock mechanism is automatic...it is nearly instant. Except the headlights don't turn on or the mirrors don't unfold till you open the door.
From my understanding walk up unlock is mostly useful when you have more people than just the driver wanting to get in the car, correct? Or do all 4 doors unlock when you pull on the respective handles?

From my understanding walk up unlock is mostly useful when you have more people than just the driver wanting to get in the car, correct? Or do all 4 doors unlock when you pull on the respective handles?

All 4 doors unlock...the only thing that walk up unlock does is that it opens the mirror and turns on the headlights when you approach the car.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: T34ME and Runt8
@K-MTG,

This is great news. Thanks for posting. How many days did you go unplugged and inside or outside? I.e. ambient temp/parameters?

Ski

The car is in the garage...60-70 degrees. I haven't charged the car since Monday..I had it charge to 70%. It is currently at 140 but I did drive it over the past few days. Will check how many miles I drove and subtract that with the current state and let you know.

• Informative
Reactions: Skione65
All 4 doors unlock...the only thing that walk up unlock does is that it opens the mirror and turns on the headlights when you approach the car.
That's awesome. Sounds like I'll be turning that off.

I appreciate this thread and activity. It is particularly useful that previous owners are experiencing this and recognize it as different behavior. A non-Tesla owner might just assume that is what Tesla's do..... I hope we come to understand if this is "as designed" behavior or buggy software.....