TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Clicking From Suspension

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by darthvdr, Sep 9, 2014.

1. darthvdr

darthvdr Member

We have noticed recently that when we first start the car after it has been sitting (either overnight or not driven for several hours) that on initial turning of wheels that there are clicking noises coming from what sounds like the suspension system. Anyone else?

2. Liz G

Liz G P03056

I had a click noise that came from the rack and pinion when I would turn the wheel far to the left or right. Perhaps that is what you are hearing. I suggest contacting the service center.

3. darthvdr

darthvdr Member

Hi Liz. What was the fix on your car?

4. agileone

agileone CDN P#40

Or it could be the problem from this thread

See video at the end of first page to hear a sample of the click.

It required some lube.

5. darthvdr

darthvdr Member

The car's clicking like my joints. Wish they made lube for my arthritis.

6. Liz G

Liz G P03056

I'd have to go back thru my service emails. But I think they replaced part of it. Honestly, if I'd had a gas car I probably wouldn't have even heard the noise. As it only happened at slow speeds when I cranked the wheel real hard one way. Like when I was backing out of my drive way.

7. agileone

agileone CDN P#40

Yes, I had this problem too and SC adjusted the steering rack and pinion. it would travel too far at the limits.

But, if you hear the "click" just when starting from slow speed, it is likely the other problem.

8. zwede

zwede 2013 P85+

I've seen two causes for the noise:

Steering rack touching something, fixed by adding a washer to one of the rack mounts.

Subframe bolts not torqued properly. Fixed by tightening bolts.

Mine needed the second fix. No noise since the fix.

9. ToddRLockwood

ToddRLockwood Active Member

This is a common problem that can easily be fixed by Tesla service. It has to do with the mounting points between the steering rack and the car's frame. The current engineering design has minimal surface area at these mounting points. When you turn the steering wheel while the car is stationary, significant lateral force is applied across these mounts, causing the two surfaces to rub against each other, creating the clicking sound. It is by no means dangerous. The fix involves a shim and a special grease.

This is not the same issue as the drive train click or clunk when starting up from a stop.

10. rogbmw

rogbmw Member

I had the click too when backing the car out of the garage and then turning. Service center fixed it with no issues since.

11. darthvdr

darthvdr Member

Love you guys. Thank you for the responses.