Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clicking in Infotainment when in reverse and occasionally accelerating

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Soul Surfer

Cancervivor, tech geek & musician
Well, this is a new one for me. I had noticed this since day one of delivery and made little of it. It got more annoying with time. When bringing in “Nikola” for a flakey charge port door this morning, I added this to the service. Diagnostics seems to have found some computer issues. Apparently Nikola will be a getting a replacement infotainment system? Not sure what this means just yet, but I will keep you all informed as the data pours in.

Reactions: Tony_YYZ
Well, this is a new one for me. I had noticed this since day one of delivery and made little of it. It got more annoying with time. When bringing in “Nikola” for a flakey charge port door this morning, I added this to the service. Diagnostics seems to have found some computer issues. Apparently Nikola will be a getting a replacement infotainment system? Not sure what this means just yet, but I will keep you all informed as the data pours in.
I am confused by your post. It does not describe what you wrote in the thread title. Can you specify exactly what action you are taking that you describe as “Clicking in infotainment”?

What do you mean by “Diagnostics seems to have found some computer issues.”? Does Tesla Service have your car and ran a diagnostic and told you the results? If so, please explain what “issues” were discovered.

As @Vawlkus noted, the MCU software is believed to be (by those of us who don’t work in Tesla Engineering) completely separate from the software that controls the drivetrain. We do know for a fact that a Tesla driver can reboot the center display while driving and pedal and steering control are unaffected; you can still drive the car normally.

So if you are saying that you are tapping on an infotainment function while moving in reverse and the car increases speed without you applying increased pressure on the accelerator pedal…I find that implausible. I think you are unconsciously applying increased pressure to the pedal.

Humans make errors like that all the time. We all have. For example, almost all driver reports of sudden unintended acceleration (e.g. “I was pressing on the brake pedal as hard as I could but the car kept going faster!”) in any make of car are actually human error. The driver firmly believes they were pressing on the brake; in fact they were pressing on the accelerator.

I am confused by your post. It does not describe what you wrote in the thread title. Can you specify exactly what action you are taking that you describe as “Clicking in infotainment”?

What do you mean by “Diagnostics seems to have found some computer issues.”? Does Tesla Service have your car and ran a diagnostic and told you the results? If so, please explain what “issues” were discovered.

As @Vawlkus noted, the MCU software is believed to be (by those of us who don’t work in Tesla Engineering) completely separate from the software that controls the drivetrain. We do know for a fact that a Tesla driver can reboot the center display while driving and pedal and steering control are unaffected; you can still drive the car normally.

So if you are saying that you are tapping on an infotainment function while moving in reverse and the car increases speed without you applying increased pressure on the accelerator pedal…I find that implausible. I think you are unconsciously applying increased pressure to the pedal.

Humans make errors like that all the time. We all have. For example, almost all driver reports of sudden unintended acceleration (e.g. “I was pressing on the brake pedal as hard as I could but the car kept going faster!”) in any make of car are actually human error. The driver firmly believes they were pressing on the brake; in fact they were pressing on the accelerator.
Hi ecarfan,
My car made clicking noises through the infotainment system since delivery. It manifested always when in reverse and on occasion, on acceleration. Several reviews at the mobile service and software updates, did not resolve. This clicking happens on its own, I am doing NOTHING. Oh, I had rebooted several times trying to resolve, but without a fix.

The service centre is working wth engineers to check wiring harnesses, etc. and will determine what to replace.

Would you describe this as a sort of static like click, click click click, then everything goes back to normal, randomly when first driving off
As a former senior I.T. professional, the click is metronome accurate and does not exhibit a random pattern. It is almost reminiscent of jitter in IP transmission for phone calling. I suspect that it may be something to do with the LTE modem functionality.

Reactions: Tony_YYZ
Hi ecarfan,
My car made clicking noises through the infotainment system since delivery. It manifested always when in reverse and on occasion, on acceleration. Several reviews at the mobile service and software updates, did not resolve. This clicking happens on its own, I am doing NOTHING. Oh, I had rebooted several times trying to resolve, but without a fix.

The service centre is working wth engineers to check wiring harnesses, etc. and will determine what to replace.
Thank you for clarifying. I completely misinterpreted your first post.

I think some of my Teslati are interested in the findings. Here is the invoice note:

Concern: Customer states: Software Update - Infotainment makes clicking noises whenever in reverse. Software updates have not resolved. Reverse will also cause streaming to pause. This occurs whether above ground or in garage.
Inspected and verified customer concern. Tested the harnesses and the car computer and VC right and left traced to a known characteristic of firmware which will be resolved at a later firmware update.
mobileAppActivityDetails
symptomKey: infotainmentSoftwareUpdate activityType: COMMON

They have apparently been working with the engineers in Cali and a software patch specific to this issue is to be released. I will need to monitor after this update and report back. Thank you for your inputs.

Reactions: Vawlkus
Huh, I wouldn’t have figured on a firmware fault, but then it’s hard to diagnose this kinda thing without hearing/seeing it.

I wonder what hardware needs it’s firmware updated.
I would agree, were it not for these newer vehicles are so much more "digital" than analog. I had been given a 2015 S P85D while they were testing mine out. The things like turn signal stalks and other protrusions from the steering column, were so analog in comparison to my 3. I could be mistaken but the infotainment has a HUGE reliance on 4G. It's pretty much a smartphone on wheels. 😀

Reactions: Vawlkus