Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clicking noise from dashboard in front of passenger side

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2017 Model S 60D and just recently started (started late last week) getting a ~10 second click that seems to originate from the dashboard in front of passenger seat. It happens pretty much every time when I open the doors. I'm guessing a relay is not correctly contacting when the car is starting up. Any thoughts on what it could be? The car will go to Tesla next week. No warnings/messages from car.

One possibility:

AC ducts have louvers that control the airflow. They adjust their position either when you change the airflow manually or when it automatically adjusts to a lower or higher level while on the Auto setting. Those louvers are controlled by step motors and, when the motors or the respective opening closing/mechanisms go bad, they make clacking noises like that.

This was a known aging problem in VWs/Audis some 15 years ago.

Your videos show this happening when you open the door, which would be when the AC switches from off to on, so those motors would operate for a few seconds. If it never happens with the AC on a manual (non-variable) setting, then those motor assemblies are the likely cause.

I've had the same issue for the past two weeks and just got it fixed today. Long story short, the service center said it was related to a faulty actuator in the A/C system that needed to be replaced. Basically what TeeEmCee said.

I tried turning off the Air Conditioning before opening the door but it still made the same noise. Not sure if that indicates that it's not what you are describing bz51, just a data point.

At this point it does seem like a non-critical function of the car. I was concern about driving it too far from home, but if its AC, I'll just be uncomfortable, not stranded.

One possibility:

AC ducts have louvers that control the airflow. They adjust their position either when you change the airflow manually or when it automatically adjusts to a lower or higher level while on the Auto setting. Those louvers are controlled by step motors and, when the motors or the respective opening closing/mechanisms go bad, they make clacking noises like that.

This was a known aging problem in VWs/Audis some 15 years ago.

Your videos show this happening when you open the door, which would be when the AC switches from off to on, so those motors would operate for a few seconds. If it never happens with the AC on a manual (non-variable) setting, then those motor assemblies are the likely cause.
Probably this. Reason for sound is that the physical contact which should indicate to the step motor to stop is not being recognised, so the motor just runs the flaps against the boundaries until there is a timeout.

Had an A8 with 12 or 16 or something of these step motors clicking and failing every few years. Changing some of these required dismantling the whole dashboard because they were in the back. German build quality.

I had exactly the same thing. It happened for about 1 week then stopped. They replaced the air intake actuator. See attached invoice clipping. It is a very specific noise for that particular problem.

Attachments

• air intake actuator.png
    air intake actuator.png
    50 KB · Views: 440
Shouldn't this car still be under warranty? Have them run a thermal systems test. It runs all the servos through their range and reports which ones have failed. Your clicking is loud for a servo but it does have the right frequency. This happens when gears are stripped and the servo runs to try and get the feedback pot to align. It usually runs for a set amount of time if that doesn't happen.

I have a 2017 Model S 60D and just recently started (started late last week) getting a ~10 second click that seems to originate from the dashboard in front of passenger seat. It happens pretty much every time when I open the doors. I'm guessing a relay is not correctly contacting when the car is starting up. Any thoughts on what it could be? The car will go to Tesla next week. No warnings/messages from car.

Actuator behind your glove box.

How long did it take? Did they diagnosed and fix within the same day?

I had originally requested the passenger airbag recall service, which was about 10days out. This noise started happening after I made that appointment so I added that to the request, mentioning the noise and also my self-diagnosis. The mobile repair guy brought the right part and was happy that he was doing the airbag at the same time, since it required basically the same dis-assembly. My car was no longer making the noise, but based on my description and possibly error codes in the car (not sure, didn't ask) he did the replacement. I did play him a recording of the noise. It is a very specific noise and easily diagnosed problem. The whole mobile service was under 2 hours and included the airbag, the actuator, and adjusting my windshield washer nozzle.

The noise you recorded is definitely the actuator. Same noise. Obvious diagnosis.

Was exactly adspguy said it was "Intake Actuator". Dropped the car off at 10am, left with a loaner at 10:20am, received a text that it was done and ready for pick up at 1:30pm. Repaired under warranty. Quick and painless other than having to drive through Denver traffic a couple times, can't wait until Superior Service Center opens. Denver Evans Service Center was awesome!

I get a quieter but faster paced clicking sound. Tesla mobile service came over to do some other repairs. He noticed the sound but then it went away and could not replicate it so he was not able to fix. His suspicion was the louvre/actuator, but I'll have to call service agin in the future.