Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clicking Noise from Driver's Side Door

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Similar issue here. When I rest my arm on the door, I get a clicking/popping noise and vibration.

Tesla service has replaced the entire side panel and I still have the issue. I am going to make another appointment to see if there another issue. The noise is noticeable when going over bumps as well.

is it the plastic part about 3/4 of the way down? this was the only place that I could audibly hear the sound coming from but I can't visually identify the issue.

check.png

Mobile service can and has replaced these on many Model 3s.. and like above poster mention, with limited success.

For some it fixes it fully, and eventually comes back. For others it just dampens the noise a notch or two.

Mobile service guy did it in15 min.
It’s during covid time so I can only watch through a camera. Didn’t see the details.
But after the interior door panel is off, he went straight to it. My door is perfect now

i had my drivers side replaced, it’s the door check. It’s prevent the door from opening too far. It’s been about 6 months and it’s making noise again, plus my front passenger door is making it as well.

if your noise if from the door check you should hear the noise as the door reaches the two different opening points.

Mobile service guy did it in15 min.
It’s during covid time so I can only watch through a camera. Didn’t see the details.
But after the interior door panel is off, he went straight to it. My door is perfect now

Thanks. We are in Puerto Rico and a service team comes from the mainland every other month but with this situation I am thinking of getting the part from ebay and doing it myself since they wont be coming in a long time.

Okay, just wanted to update this thread. I had both front doors making the loud clicking. Mobile came out about around 1/20 to replace. Replaced driver side and it was even louder. I told him to not bother with passenger side bc I didn't want it to get worse. I watched videos etc and the door should definitely not making this sound. So I figured I give mobile another chance.

Based on what I could hear and see the sound was coming from the pin where both sides of the hinge attach. When you open and close the door you can see a lot of movement there.

So tech comes out yesterday. We discuss a bit and he states that sometimes the sound goes away and sometime it doesn't based on the times he has fixed. He wasn't sure why because there have been no updates in the part. So I didn't have high hopes.

He does driver side first again. For those that want to dyi it is pretty easy. Remove door panel. Instead of removing entire inner panel in door you can just remove the speaker (4 bolts do not over torque when reassembling). This will give you direct access the attachment point in the door.

He replaced and it was completely silent. What relief because it was really embarrassing. So I looked at the new hinge for the other door and compared it to the old one. The issue is the hinge moving up and down on the pin. It should be locked in the center of the pin and only rotate with no play. The broken one you could move the hinge up and down the pin with ease.

So I must have got a bad replacement the first time. So those of you who had bad initial results...try again and check the play at the pin.

Silent doors...omg so awesome.

• Informative
Reactions: Ron_M3 and skygraff