Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clicking noise on regen/deceleration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2020 Model X with ~20K miles. Lately I am hearing a clicking/ratcheting down noise when quickly letting off the accelerator. This only seems to happen when the car is cold. It lasts 5 or 10 minutes then goes away. Any ideas? Should I have it looked at?

I have a 2020 Model X with ~20K miles. Lately I am hearing a clicking/ratcheting down noise when quickly letting off the accelerator. This only seems to happen when the car is cold. It lasts 5 or 10 minutes then goes away. Any ideas? Should I have it looked at?
Had the same issue on our 2018 MX 75D, I dont have the invoice anymore, but they found that the center lug nut on the axel was looser or something. Would create two clicking sounds anytime I let go of the pedal.

Reactions: ####AFastTezla
Try this thread. May help you. If it’s from inside the car this is relevant. If it’s from outside the car there’s another thread about creaking ball joints somewhere.

This is an old thread, just got back from the Tesla Service Center today about the clicking when you deaccelerate in our 2023 MYLR (Austin made). They said it is the U-joint connecting the brake pedal to the ibooster. There is a little slack and it will make that clicking sound. He said Tesla does not make the ibooster and it is an issue Tesla is still looking at and working with the vendor. They did some kind of wrapping on the U-joint to mitigate the noise. He said it is totally safe and they may have a solution in the future or possibly recall and replace.

This is an old thread, just got back from the Tesla Service Center today about the clicking when you deaccelerate in our 2023 MYLR (Austin made). They said it is the U-joint connecting the brake pedal to the ibooster. There is a little slack and it will make that clicking sound. He said Tesla does not make the ibooster and it is an issue Tesla is still looking at and working with the vendor. They did some kind of wrapping on the U-joint to mitigate the noise. He said it is totally safe and they may have a solution in the future or possibly recall and replace.
The clicking noise only happens in the morning for my Model Y 2023. I brought to Tesla dealer, they said it's normal. Here's the statement from the dealer: " Technician performed test drive along with secondary technician and was able to duplicate noise. Clicking is a normal characteristic of the vehicle. When the vehicle is at higher speeds and slows down, the click is coming from the accelerator switching to regenerative braking. Vehicle is in normal operating condition. No other service needed during this time".
I will bring the car back to the dealer, and point out that my car didn't even reach to the high speed in order to get that clicking noise, and it's can only duplicate the noise in the morning (cold weather). This is something Tesla needs to take action to explain to customer correctly to address the problem.

The clicking noise only happens in the morning for my Model Y 2023. I brought to Tesla dealer, they said it's normal. Here's the statement from the dealer: " Technician performed test drive along with secondary technician and was able to duplicate noise. Clicking is a normal characteristic of the vehicle. When the vehicle is at higher speeds and slows down, the click is coming from the accelerator switching to regenerative braking. Vehicle is in normal operating condition. No other service needed during this time".
I will bring the car back to the dealer, and point out that my car didn't even reach to the high speed in order to get that clicking noise, and it's can only duplicate the noise in the morning (cold weather). This is something Tesla needs to take action to explain to customer correctly to address the problem.
Good Luck at the service center. I’ve had mine in twice, over the weekends even, and they ”could not reproduce the sound”.
I live with it, it’s too much trouble dropping off the car for no results.

i have a 2020 model x long range... have had the same clicking with letting go of accelerator suddenly.... worse when cold out... i had it in for service and they couldn't reproduce it... as soon as i drove away from service center i heard it again.... it's back now at the service center due to another issue (unable to drive due to some type of power failure)... so as soon as they fix that, they will look at the clicking noise.... will post if i find out anything.

i have a 2020 model x long range... have had the same clicking with letting go of accelerator suddenly.... worse when cold out... i had it in for service and they couldn't reproduce it... as soon as i drove away from service center i heard it again.... it's back now at the service center due to another issue (unable to drive due to some type of power failure)... so as soon as they fix that, they will look at the clicking noise.... will post if i find out anything.
I took a service technician for a ride around the block to show him the sound, he could hear it right away

Does anyone have any updates on this? Happening now to my 2020 Model X, service center has changed almost every part of the suspension over multiple visits and I still hear the sound. Would love to do this on my own or take it to an independent shop to fix as clearly the service center is just concerned with closing out tickets ASAP and not actually taking time to diagnose/repair.

Does anyone have any updates on this? Happening now to my 2020 Model X, service center has changed almost every part of the suspension over multiple visits and I still hear the sound. Would love to do this on my own or take it to an independent shop to fix as clearly the service center is just concerned with closing out tickets ASAP and not actually taking time to diagnose/repair.
Any update?

Reporting back all notes from service. They said they lubricated the front axles, re-torqued the front suspension, and re-adjusted the bash plate which can get loose over time and make noise. Unfortunately, the clicking noise on regen braking is still happening and apparent. This is my third service visit and I have now given up. I will no longer be going to service for this issue as it seems they are just concerned with closing out tickets and not truly verifying the repair. Willing now to consider other options such as third party EV repair shops or to just live with the clicking noise and hope it's nothing serious.

I've been dealing with this for over a year on my wife's '19 MXP. Used to only happen when it was bitter cold, but is now doing it in significantly warmer temps too. Tech at the SC claimed they couldn't reproduce it this last time, which just tells me that they didn't even try, as it literally made the noise the entire way home from the SC today. Now I have to make another trip back on Monday to deal with these inept lazy clowns.

Reactions: BMWLover
I've been dealing with this for over a year on my wife's '19 MXP. Used to only happen when it was bitter cold, but is now doing it in significantly warmer temps too. Tech at the SC claimed they couldn't reproduce it this last time, which just tells me that they didn't even try, as it literally made the noise the entire way home from the SC today. Now I have to make another trip back on Monday to deal with these inept lazy clowns.
My brother! It feels so good to know I'm not the only one. It's so easily heard in your video too, I'm going to use your video to show service as well. I expressed my displeasure with the last service visit last week and they apologized and said that the manager will now follow my request and to bring it back again. I'm skeptical they'll do anything useful since this would be service visit number 4 now, but I've spent some time doing multiple videos now and have ample proof of it happening. Unfortunately, it won't be until 1.5 weeks from now, but I still have a tiny tiny sliver of hope!

Reactions: DDarrow
Not sure if it's too late to talk to service, but I was able to get in touch with Electrified Garage and they told me it could be the CV axle itself having some play and would need to do it in pairs, and if so would need to do motor mounts as well.