Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Clicking noise turning wheel l/r and backing up

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm hearing a loud click and pop going lower speeds. Car was delivered in June and has only 1300 miles on it right now.

I suspect midshaft / cv joints

I googled a video on youtube and it sounds exactly the same.

I took it in to Tesla and they found the click/pop but though they said they needed to lube the boots up and said that it comes with very little lube from the factory?

Anyway they tightened something and now it's loud as hell when I turn left or right. And if you're backing up in your garage it's so loud! Like a tin can bagging up against something inside.

Anyways, does anyone have an ideas what this is. I'm kind of regretting my purchase this is the third time bringing it in for this. I want to make sure I'm safe on the road the last thing I need is suspension failing on me...

Yes I have the issue but not nearly as loud as yours. Tesla did the axle lubing at ~6K miles but that didn't remedy the issue. LF axle shaft replacement in June this year but that didn't solve the problem either. I am experiencing the clicking-from-stop and slight clicking/clunk when backing out of parking spot, garage, U-turn, etc... at creeping slow speeds only when turning the wheel.

If there is every a genuine fix performed by Tesla I'll update the axle clicking thread.

Yes I have the issue but not nearly as loud as yours. Tesla did the axle lubing at ~6K miles but that didn't remedy the issue. LF axle shaft replacement in June this year but that didn't solve the problem either. I am experiencing the clicking-from-stop and slight clicking/clunk when backing out of parking spot, garage, U-turn, etc... at creeping slow speeds only when turning the wheel.

If there is every a genuine fix performed by Tesla I'll update the axle clicking thread.

The clunk you hear when backing out of places, turning...can you describe it with a bit more details....is it just one clunk or many? repeatable? does it definitely sound like it comes from the front of the car? thanks.

The clunk you hear when backing out of places, turning...can you describe it with a bit more details....is it just one clunk or many? repeatable? does it definitely sound like it comes from the front of the car? thanks.
Click/clunk upon initial turning of the steering wheel when backing out or pulling into a parking spot. Same occurs for driveway entry when initially making the turn into driveway. Definitely front of the car - sounds like it's inside the steering rack. No clunks over washboard and/or rough pavement.

Side note: When parked, a quick jolt of the steering wheel left or right causing the same noise which leads me to believe the issue is in the column/rack.

I'm hearing a loud click and pop going lower speeds. Car was delivered in June and has only 1300 miles on it right now.

I took it in to Tesla and they found the click/pop but though they said they needed to lube the boots up and said that it comes with very little lube from the factory?

Anyway they tightened something and now it's loud as hell when I turn left or right. And if you're backing up in your garage it's so loud! Like a tin can bagging up against something inside.

Anyways, does anyone have an ideas what this is. I'm kind of regretting my purchase this is the third time bringing it in for this. I want to make sure I'm safe on the road the last thing I need is suspension failing on me...

Call Roadside and have them tow it to the Service Center as it’s dangerous to drive, and that’s what you tell them.

Fred

That was my video. I replied in the comments, but basically they tried lubing the axel. That fixed it for a couple weeks, then it came back. Finally they replaced the half-shaft and it's been fine since. This happened around 7,000 miles and it's now around 22,000.

That ordeal was a huge pain because it took months from when the noise returned to when they actually got the part in to fix it. Maybe 2-3,000 miles. Definitely a terrible service experience.

It shouldn't make any sounds like that, period. You should hear the tires and not much more. Make them fix it.

That was my video. I replied in the comments, but basically they tried lubing the axel. That fixed it for a couple weeks, then it came back. Finally they replaced the half-shaft and it's been fine since. This happened around 7,000 miles and it's now around 22,000.
This is more evidence that the issue is most likely with the CV joints. Too bad cause my LF axle replacement did nothing to eliminate the problem. (As far as I can hear the RF is not making noise)

Did you ever get resolution on this? CVJ? Upper control arm? Mid-shaft? There are so many people talking about this I know there must be a repeatable solution.

Yes. Exactly that.
I have a great mechanic, he worked for Tesla for a long while, left and opened his own shop and he knows the car very well. We haven't been able to figure it out yet, but we are working our way through things. Do you have any aftermarket stuff onthe car? I do but I dont think its associated with anything that I've put on the car, all of my parts are very high quality and we've checked all of them more than once. Most of the parts were put on after I first heard the noise. I replaced the sway bar end links because we thought it may be that but it wasn't.

I have a August 2018 Model 3 LR AWD
M3 LR AWD.jpg

I put those on, I upgraded the calipers to performance, my car is not a performance. I got bored and changed a lot of stuff, long story but I love this car. I wont stop until I get this solved, someone must know what the solution is. My mechanic is leaning towards the hub assembly and half shaft assembly but its about $1,800 in parts so I need to do more fact gathering before moving ahead.